The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by student_1995
I have this problem too. Try relaxation techniques/ breathing exercises and avoid too much caffeine. If this is a regular problem ask your GP about a beta blocker such as propranolol.

Mybreathing's been all over the place all day anyway and had an asthma attack and things so wondering if that's what's making me shake :s-smilie: I used to do it a lot, haven't so much recently (or maybe just noticed less as not at school trying to write or anything) but I will, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
Does anyone know how to stop yourself shaking? Have been really badly all day and it's driving me mad :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heya. :wavey: I dont have any suggestions but I have the same problem and wanted to give it a bump. :colondollar: Shakey high five. :five: :awesome: :tongue:

Original post by ScaryScience
oh my ****ing god. I am literally done with every health professional on this ****ing planet. I am not engaging in any of this **** any more.

Whats happened chook? :frown: :hugs: On facebook if you need.
Original post by tasha96
Heya. :wavey: I dont have any suggestions but I have the same problem and wanted to give it a bump. :colondollar: Shakey high five. :five: :awesome: :tongue:

Whats happened chook? :frown: :hugs: On facebook if you need.

:hi: Well at least we're not alone then! :five: Hopefully someoen else will have some more- did you see student1995's post? :biggrin:

How are you, anyway? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really struggling a lot. Very anxious and depressed. Think I'm going to drop university possibly. I'm failing anyway, and can only get an ordinary degree.

I went back through for uni last night, but had to come back to my hometown by train earlier today.
Mybreathing's been all over the place all day anyway and had an asthma attack and things so wondering if that's what's making me shake :s-smilie: I used to do it a lot, haven't so much recently (or maybe just noticed less as not at school trying to write or anything) but I will, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you are meant to use those tablets if you have asthma, but there will be others you can try :smile:
:hi: Well at least we're not alone then! :five: Hopefully someoen else will have some more- did you see student1995's post? :biggrin:

How are you, anyway? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did indeedy. :biggrin:
I'm okay- going out climbing with a friend later! :eek: Super nervous. :colondollar: How are you? :smile: :hugs:
I have this problem too. Try relaxation techniques/ breathing exercises and avoid too much caffeine. If this is a regular problem ask your GP about a beta blocker such as propranolol.

It's unlikely someone with asthma will get beta blockers prescribed as they can stop salbutamol from working.

Have you been using your inhaler a lot today or had nebulisers? One of the side effects of salbutamol (the stuff in blue inhalers) can be skeletal muscle tremor.
Ha ha a small one in Scotland. :wink:
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard

you'd be surprised! I didn't think I'd fit in at Uni either, but when I went I quickly found people who I fitted in with :smile: for me it was through my politics but am sure you will find something too, societies and groups are a great way to meet people you will fit in with for one!

I'll probably join a society or two and I will just go around doing whether I feel like during some days in freshers week. I'll try my bets to be presentable.

Original post by lauraaaaa
i think we're all worried about making friends at uni (i move in two weeks), but 99.9% of people manage it, so im sure we'll be fine :tongue:

I shall have to wait and see :smile:
Original post by IDukem
I'll probably join a society or two and I will just go around doing whether I feel like during some days in freshers week. I'll try my bets to be presentable.

sounds good :smile: im sure it will be okay, just remember other people there will be just as keen as you to make friends and fit in :smile:
do any of you guys take medication for depression? and if you do does it really help? I mean it's hard to see depression as curable by an type of medication tbh, it's also a state of our own minds...? x
Original post by GEEKHELP
do any of you guys take medication for depression? and if you do does it really help? I mean it's hard to see depression as curable by an type of medication tbh, it's also a state of our own minds...? x

I take antidepressants (Sertraline, namely). It's not a solve-all cure but it certainly makes me far more functional than I would be otherwise :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I take antidepressants (Sertraline, namely). It's not a solve-all cure but it certainly makes me far more functional than I would be otherwise :yes:

did they keep tabs on you at first? suicide unfortunately is more likely when taking anti depressants isn't it? and then it's not really possible to come off them :l sorry for the questions im just petrified by thinking about taking them
I've wondered if I have depression for a few years now, or if I'm just unmotivated :tongue:

Spoiler

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

YEAH. All the coolest people in here take sertraline.
Mine's for panic disorder, but does naff all to help with the frequency/ length of my panic attacks. Works beautifully on my mood though. Does mean I can get out of bed much easier than I did pre-meds tbh.

did they keep tabs on you at first? suicide unfortunately is more likely when taking anti depressants isn't it? and then it's not really possible to come off them :l sorry for the questions im just petrified by thinking about taking them

Not really, I had regular appointments as I normally would but no one kept an eye on it as such. Well, I guess my CPN (community psychiatric nurse) may have secretly! :ninja:

The side effect you've mentioned is meant to be very rare, afaik :yes:

No need to be scared! If one doesn't work for you or has nasty side effects, they can gently taper that one off and start you on a new one :yes:
Original post by Tibbz2
I've wondered if I have depression for a few years now, or if I'm just unmotivated :tongue:

Spoiler

I am literally the same. I know I need to go see my GP but i've had this 'depression' feeling when I was 12-14 then I managed to get better without meds/counseling. I literally had the best time after I got better so I am 'waiting' this feeling out because I don't want to take meds :l
I am literally the same. I know I need to go see my GP but i've had this 'depression' feeling when I was 12-14 then I managed to get better without meds/counseling. I literally had the best time after I got better so I am 'waiting' this feeling out because I don't want to take meds :l

I just want to feel better without having to resort to going to the GP too, I just wish I could feel like I used to, then I'd be really excited for uni etc. but I'm really not now :/
mental health services have ruined me.
I don't think you are meant to use those tablets if you have asthma, but there will be others you can try :smile:

Ok that's fair enough, I'll mention it next time I go if I remember! :redface: He's commented on me shaking before come to think of it...

Original post by tasha96
I did indeedy. :biggrin:
I'm okay- going out climbing with a friend later! :eek: Super nervous. :colondollar: How are you? :smile: :hugs:

Ooh, climbing- I'm jealous! :tongue: I'm sure it'll be good once you're there :yep: I'm ok, trying to work out what to do with the rest of the year basically and sort out some work experience/an orchestra I can join which should be good :biggrin:

Original post by moonkatt
It's unlikely someone with asthma will get beta blockers prescribed as they can stop salbutamol from working.

Have you been using your inhaler a lot today or had nebulisers? One of the side effects of salbutamol (the stuff in blue inhalers) can be skeletal muscle tremor.

Yeah, I was shaking before then though I think and I've taken them much more with attacks in the past :s-smilie: I don't think I've used the white and green (atrovent?) inhaler before though in them as it normally works to stop them, so that may have made the shaking worse.

Original post by Tibbz2

Spoiler

Hey :wavey: I have ME/CFS if you want to ask me anything about that :smile:

Latest