The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else doing a general studies/critical thinking additional gcse? I think my schools forcing us to do it to try and boost our school's points in the league table :/
Original post by tryrevise
I'm doing a music mock in a couple of weeks. I actually think most of my class will fail it as they just cannot be bothered :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our class consists of four people, and we're all failing the class xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Section 1 was okay, as long as you make sure you have enough time to write out your method. Just make sure you know the pros and cons of using different methods :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Martie08
Eurgh at my school they pressurise you with everything, we had to do them in the sports hall with the proper invigilators and stuff :frown:

Me too, it was pretty daunting, and everything just seemed so serious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guyz
Eurgh at my school they pressurise you with everything, we had to do them in the sports hall with the proper invigilators and stuff :frown:

Oh, we got the pressure, we just ignored it at all costs :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm already under so much pressure. :frown:
Original post by Gilo98
Anyone else doing a general studies/critical thinking additional gcse? I think my schools forcing us to do it to try and boost our school's points in the league table :/

Did it in year 9. Possibly the most dull lessons I've ever taken part in :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did it in year 9. Possibly the most dull lessons I've ever taken part in :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahah, we're not even getting lessons in it, tarts how desperate my school is :mmm:
Original post by Gilo98
ahah, we're not even getting lessons in it, tarts how desperate my school is :mmm:

Are you just randomly going to take it with no preparation then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone give me any hints on what I need to make sure I know as i got the paper 1 2moz :s-smilie:
Oh I did the treatment of women as well, and I think I did Sonnet 130 :smile: I was speaking to someone else about it , don't know if you saw it but this is the best advice I have really, what I said to them was: For me it really helped me to do comparative paragraphs instead of a section analysing the Shakespeare and poetry separately; this makes it flow better and you can work from the points you've used about Shakespeare.

Mine was on the treatment of women and my Shakespeare text was Romeo and Juliet. For example I started off looking at Romeo's idolisation of women and linked it with The Sun Rising - both use natural imagery, they both elevate the woman's position to that of a goddess etc. Comparison is worth like 50% of your mark- try to find both subtle and obvious links and always remember to write about the similarities and differences in the writer's purpose, the effect on the reader, and social and historical context between the Shakespeare and whichever poem you're writing about.

When analysing the poems talk about the poem as a whole but also compare a certain line to one from the play. Here you can look at a certain word and talk about why it's important and why the writer may have chosen it specifically. Eg. Romeo says 'Juliet is the sun' using this metaphor to convey her radiant beauty, whereas Donne addresses the Sun directly saying 'if her eyes had not blinded thine' (well he says something like that ok it was a long time ago) implying that his lover's beauty transcends that of the sun and nature, elevating her to a position of idolatry.

Also, I planned mine completely at home and drafted it which helped loads as you can barely take in any notes. This way I knew exactly what I wanted to write when we were in controlled conditions and I didn't need to sit there for ages wondering what to write next.

Good luck! I hope you do really well :smile:

The WJEC revision guide also includes some useful tips which I'll include here.ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410099161.544882.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1410099271.480841.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1410099315.176698.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1410099363.809386.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1410099380.428652.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot for this, I'm doing the treatment of women too. I've planned a lot of ideas so I'm not stuck for something to write. My teacher gave us a full mark answer and their comparisons were similar to your example. I begin it tomorrow so I'll how it goes and whether I need to do anymore preparation before the next lesson.

Thanks for the links, and sorry for the late reply! :smile:
Hi there I'm looking forward to year 11 so I can finally get an idea of my future I'm doing additional math English lit n lang math triple science Arabic geog ICT and that's it
Original post by NathalieGW
I quite liked studying Shakespeare. I liked Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth and some of his poetry work; sonnet 114 was my favourite.

You could say he was very repetitive in his theme of romanticism in his work, which to some is offputting. I found it easier to elaborate on Shakespeare. I've always enjoyed studying his work :smile:

I just did lots of research on Shakespeare and made lots of notes, this really helped.

We have a Biology controlled assessment in October, so in the Biology lessons we're doing a lot of preparation; risk assessments, planning, evaluation etc.

On top of that, I'm preparing for my creative writing assessment which will be in late November. Creative writing is one of my strengths, so hopefully I can get band 5 (A*) :biggrin:

Good luck in your assessments. How are you finding Maths? Are you having cram in a lot for the November exam series of is it just a case of reinforcing what you've gone over?

Sorry for the late reply!
I'm making a lot of notes this evening, ready for tomorrow. :smile: I think it's very important to study Shakespeare as his work is exceptional and has influenced modern literature, I guess it's just not for me!

Good luck with your biology, I've almost finished my chemistry coursework and I'll be starting biology and physics next month. Coursework bores me to tears, I'd much rather a normal lesson! I'm glad that 100% of the grade isn't down to exams though.

I enjoyed the creative writing in English language, I got a band 5 for it. :biggrin: The spec changed though so hopefully all I have to do is tweak a bit of it, I don't want to have to redo it. Good luck for that too. :smile:

Thanks :smile: I'm relieved that I've got my Welsh done now.

Maths is ok, we've just been getting a lot of past papers, I've been focusing on things that I'm not so sure of by looking in my maths textbook. When do you have your maths exam/exams?
Original post by Hecate99
Hi there I'm looking forward to year 11 so I can finally get an idea of my future I'm doing additional math English lit n lang math triple science Arabic geog ICT and that's it

Hello :smile: Are you enjoying your subjects? How are you finding the workload so far?
Original post by sunday_morning
Hello :smile: Are you enjoying your subjects? How are you finding the workload so far?

Hey there yh the subjects are not bad bu t the coursework starting to pile up 😢 but I'm trying my best to stay on top of the lot wbu
Are you just randomly going to take it with no preparation then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep :rofl: although I think I will at least work through some past papers - I think its general studies though instead of critical thinking. Which one did you do? You find it difficult?
Has anyone else completely lost all motivation this year? :tongue:
Has anyone else completely lost all motivation this year? :tongue:

Motivation has been gone since the first day...

So much crap has happened to far and i'm in a stupid mess.
Original post by Midnightmemories
Motivation has been gone since the first day...

So much crap has happened to far and i'm in a stupid mess.

Aw, what's happened?
This time last year I was really motivated but tbh I want to move on, this year is just so boring already. And then in a few months the boredom will be replaced with stress.

Latest