The Student Room Group

2 technology subjects will i ever leave school.....

so im in yr 9 and have already chosen my options which were
German ( already started)
Engineering--start next year
Electronics--start next year
so i was sat in ict today and the current Yr11s were asking us what options we have chose and when i said Electronics they said its awful theres loads of coursework and you have to stay behind loads at school and then when i mentioned im taking engineering too, they said i will have to stay behind at school everyday and wont be able to go out at weekends because of all the work.
Im also taking triple science which i started in september.
so the question is how much work will it take?, will i really be staying behind to finish corsework?
Original post by decgreen
so i was sat in ict today and the current Yr11s were asking us what options we have chose and when i said Electronics they said its awful theres loads of coursework and you have to stay behind loads at school and then when i mentioned im taking engineering too, they said i will have to stay behind at school everyday and wont be able to go out at weekends because of all the work.
so the question is how much work will it take?, will i really be staying behind to finish corsework?

It is true that DT subjects have a lot of coursework. Doing graphics it is definitely true that I stayed behind at school quite a lot, especially in the summer as the deadlines approach. However, to claim that you'll have to spend every day after school and that you won't have any weekends is nonsense. I don't think it's a particularly good idea to choose two technology subjects, but it's not as bad as they make out.

Engineering (if you're on Edexcel) is terrible for coursework, I found myself having to stay quite a few times in order to sort out my work before the deadline, but maybe that was because I didn't get that much help for my teacher. You can take in notes to your exam, so that kind of balances it out :colone:

Electronics (AQA) isn't too bad, as long as you follow the structure and don't waffle too much, you shouldn't really need to stay (at least, I didn't need to anyway :tongue:)

You definitely will have some free time though, I think they're just exaggerating a bit :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Arithmeticae
Engineering (if you're on Edexcel) is terrible for coursework, I found myself having to stay quite a few times in order to sort out my work before the deadline, but maybe that was because I didn't get that much help for my teacher. You can take in notes to your exam, so that kind of balances it out :colone:

Electronics (AQA) isn't too bad, as long as you follow the structure and don't waffle too much, you shouldn't really need to stay (at least, I didn't need to anyway :tongue:)

You definitely will have some free time though, I think they're just exaggerating a bit :lol:

thanks thats reassured me a lot i just dont want to be stuck in school doing coursework all the time. i have just checked and both are AQA.
whats grades did you get? in electronics and engineering?
thanks thats reassured me a lot i just dont want to be stuck in school doing coursework all the time. i have just checked and both are AQA.
whats grades did you get? in electronics and engineering?

I've done them both this year, so hopefully I'll be able to get back to you with some good news!

I got an A* on my coursework for Electronics and my teacher doesn't want to tell us our Engineering grades for some reason (my previous draft got an A though :smile:)
Why'd you need to go out on the weekends in year 9?
Reply 6
I've done them both this year, so hopefully I'll be able to get back to you with some good news!

I got an A* on my coursework for Electronics and my teacher doesn't want to tell us our Engineering grades for some reason (my previous draft got an A though :smile:)

thats good then :smile: what did you make for electronics?
did you have to do it your self or did the teacher tell you what to do?
thats good then :smile: what did you make for electronics?did you have to do it your self or did the teacher tell you what to do?
A light sensing burglar alarm :smile:

I came up with the plan and circuit, I think you lost a few marks if the teacher has to help you.
Reply 8
A light sensing burglar alarm :smile:

I came up with the plan and circuit, I think you lost a few marks if the teacher has to help you.

sounds good can u post a pic of it and the circuit?
Reply 9

so what grades did u end up getting? I have dropped electronics and taking up geography
so what grades did u end up getting? I have dropped electronics and taking up geography

I got AA for Engineering (Double Award) and an A for Electronics (Coursework was marked down to a B for some reason :/)

Good luck with that! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending