The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by behindblueglass
Anyone know how many people are in each flat at Wolfson close? I only know of one other person in flat 11 so far and I'm a little worried. Obviously there are loads more people, I just haven't seen them yet :smile:

I really wouldn't worry, I didn't meet anyone online before going, in fact I purposely avoided it as I wanted to enjoy getting to know people in person, and it did not hinder me making friends in any way- everyone is in the same boat so it's not quite like you'd expect meeting a load of strangers would be. Some people you talk to beforehand may end up spending most of their time elsewhere, whereas others may become your best friends.

Also, at that time, they didn't even tell you your specific room till the day so you could only meet people from your type of accommodation. I think they should go back to this!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by kpwxx
I really wouldn't worry, I didn't meet anyone online before going, in fact I purposely avoided it as I wanted to enjoy getting to know people in person, and it did not hinder me making friends in any way- everyone is in the same boat so it's not quite like you'd expect meeting a load of strangers would be. Some people you talk to beforehand may end up spending most of their time elsewhere, whereas others may become your best friends.

Also, at that time, they didn't even tell you your specific room till the day so you could only meet people from your type of accommodation. I think they should go back to this!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww thanks I was feeling a little worried about everything but im sure everyone will be nice!

Im a little confused about organisation at the minute. For A levels I wrote my notes and then stored them in lever arch file and wrote those notes in a5 notebooks. Can I do the same at uni? For my first year I have 6 modules can I fit everything into 3 notebooks and 3 lever arch files? Im doing environmental earth science :smile:

Thanks xx
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by frog3003
Im in paston house and i was wo dering if anyone had any info on it , especailly how many people are in each flat ? :smile:

8 or 12 people :smile:
Original post by behindblueglass
Aww thanks I was feeling a little worried about everything but im sure everyone will be nice!

Im a little confused about organisation at the minute. For A levels I wrote my notes and then stored them in lever arch file and wrote those notes in a5 notebooks. Can I do the same at uni? For my first year I have 6 modules can I fit everything into 3 notebooks and 3 lever arch files? Im doing environmental earth science :smile:

Thanks xx

I'd recommend heading over to the stationery and organisation thread and asking there to see if there are other environmental sciences students who can advise you. It varies a lot between course (I needed at last one notepad per module but only a normal ringbinder), and also personal preference- if the system now works for you I'd keep it as similar as possible.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,

This is a really long thread so sorry if this has already been asked, but I'm in a ziggurat (Norfolk Terrace) and am confused as to how the flats are arranged. I know floors beginning with 0 (mine is 01) are supposed to be below floor 0 (is this correct?)

Does this mean they are underground? I hardly think so, but can't figure out what else it might mean!

Thanks!
Original post by marabell
Hi all,

This is a really long thread so sorry if this has already been asked, but I'm in a ziggurat (Norfolk Terrace) and am confused as to how the flats are arranged. I know floors beginning with 0 (mine is 01) are supposed to be below floor 0 (is this correct?)

Does this mean they are underground? I hardly think so, but can't figure out what else it might mean!

Thanks!

There's a concrete walkway on campus which most of the buildings lead off of (rather than the ground). That is level zero, so 01 then 02 are below walkway, whereas 1, 2, 3... are above.

xxx
Original post by marabell
Hi all,

Thanks!

Your right. 01 is -1 and 02 is -2. Manage this and your on the right lines to a degree :smile:.
IT sort of varies from flat to flat tbh. Some flats are party flats, others are not. If you dislike what you get assigned you can change within the first two weeks I think.

Original post by lilangel890
Which accommodation would you lot say was the quietist? I really can't do with nighttime noise in excess. Reading above I see Village looks a bit quieter but anyone know a specific block (so I can request it due to medical reasons...) Cheers :smile:
Original post by kpwxx
There's a concrete walkway on campus which most of the buildings lead off of (rather than the ground). That is level zero, so 01 then 02 are below walkway, whereas 1, 2, 3... are above.

xxx

Original post by CityLife
Your right. 01 is -1 and 02 is -2. Manage this and your on the right lines to a degree :smile:.

Marabell as you are 01, you will be 2 floors up from ground level as ground floor is 03 (which is where you park the car to move into the flats). So you will be moving your stuff up two small sections of stairs (along with UEA helpers).
Original post by GaryPowers
IT sort of varies from flat to flat tbh. Some flats are party flats, others are not. If you dislike what you get assigned you can change within the first two weeks I think.

lilangel890 - its very dependent on who is in your flat as some blocks may be noisier one year than the next. Just play it by ear and move flats in the first week or so if its so loud as there will be people looking to swap in and out of 'party'/loud flats. Every flat will be semi-loud and there will be nighttime noise to some extent due to people coming back from club nights/LCR/city etc and also the drunk ones setting off fire alarms meaning you have to evacuate in the middle of the night (not so fun when you are on the 4th floor!) - britten house was horrendous for this when i was there 2 years ago due to the idiots we had in the block.
with the laundrette do you have to pay each time you use it or can you prepay?
Original post by Sixdegreesofsoph
with the laundrette do you have to pay each time you use it or can you prepay?

you buy a card which you can top up with however much you want :smile:
Original post by lilGem
you buy a card which you can top up with however much you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do :smile: there's a card dispenser it's £3 to get one :smile:
Original post by lilGem
You do :smile: there's a card dispenser it's £3 to get one :smile:

Awesome thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awesome thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

you just need to register it then top it up then you'll be able to use it. Recommend getting it early because I left it till I had to do washing :colondollar:
I was wondering whether UEA was close to the city as I would enjoy university more if I was closer to nightlife, the city and not just confined in a study bubble!
Original post by liujingting_cl
I was wondering whether UEA was close to the city as I would enjoy university more if I was closer to nightlife, the city and not just confined in a study bubble!

it is a campus based university. There are buses every 10 minutes from campus into the city and it's about 15 minutes depending on traffic :smile:
OK thank you! Previous and current students have rated UEA as 8.6/10 for social life though so it seems pretty good! Would it be because there is a lot to do on campus or is the bus just so cheap that everyone just goes out anyways? sorry stupid but essential questions :P and thank you! this is the quickest and most helpful reply i've got so far :smile:
Original post by liujingting_cl
OK thank you! Previous and current students have rated UEA as 8.6/10 for social life though so it seems pretty good! Would it be because there is a lot to do on campus or is the bus just so cheap that everyone just goes out anyways? sorry stupid but essential questions :P and thank you! this is the quickest and most helpful reply i've got so far :smile:

there is a lot of things on campus to get involved with from societies to academic stuff. The LCR (student union) hosts many gigs with some big names through the year; the past year has included the 1975, paolo nutini, gabrielle aplin. It also hosts 2 students nights one of which is themed fancy dresses on Tuesdays and normal student nights Saturdays.

In town there are student nights too which are popular and easy enough to get to.

Often there is a mix between both town and on campus :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending