The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .snowflake.
mm. I don't personally consider myself disabled w.r.t my panic disorder; when I have it under control. I prefer to think of it as I'm really, really good at trying to keep myself safe. Sometimes my brain takes it a bit too far :/

^ this. I swear its the PHQ i used to fill in.

Yep its PHQ-9 i think, then for anxiety its GAD-7 or have i got my numbers mixed up :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
school was crap today, was so close to having an attack in maths that i had to go to the loo and scream a ittle bit.

tomorrow is going to be bad, becuae i have games, and i dont like some of my people in my group, becuase just becuase im the worse, they blame everything on me. all we did was lose 6 games, none of them were MY fault.
Original post by guitaristemily
school was crap today, was so close to having an attack in maths that i had to go to the loo and scream a ittle bit.

tomorrow is going to be bad, becuae i have games, and i dont like some of my people in my group, becuase just becuase im the worse, they blame everything on me. all we did was lose 6 games, none of them were MY fault.

i absolutely despised p.e cos i was pretty **** at most sports, and i really didn't care about it either! at one point this entire group of girls who bullied me were in my class, and were forever making comments. I learnt to just ignore them. It's hard, but I got so annoyed and fed up with them that i just ignored it. Just say something like 'we're all involved in this game, doesn't make it my fault that we lost'.

Also, have you told anyone about how you're feeling? i understand how horrendous it can be to be at school with anxiety and have no one to talk to about it. I got to the point of having a panic attack just about everyday! One thing that really helped me was eating mints. I have no idea why, but it somehow seemed like a comfort at the time. Is there something you could take with you in your blazer/bag that you find comforting and then eat/feel it, when things are bad? sorry for these rubbish suggestions, i never found a solution :/
Original post by lauraaaaa
i absolutely despised p.e cos i was pretty **** at most sports, and i really didn't care about it either! at one point this entire group of girls who bullied me were in my class, and were forever making comments. I learnt to just ignore them. It's hard, but I got so annoyed and fed up with them that i just ignored it. Just say something like 'we're all involved in this game, doesn't make it my fault that we lost'.

Also, have you told anyone about how you're feeling? i understand how horrendous it can be to be at school with anxiety and have no one to talk to about it. I got to the point of having a panic attack just about everyday! One thing that really helped me was eating mints. I have no idea why, but it somehow seemed like a comfort at the time. Is there something you could take with you in your blazer/bag that you find comforting and then eat/feel it, when things are bad? sorry for these rubbish suggestions, i never found a solution :/

im **** at sports too - but they make me do them anyway.

and i actaully said those words, and some others. i quote myself here " there wasnt just me playing out there, so i don tsee why i, the goal keeper, got the blame. its not as ifi can run that fast ,ether, and im smaller than everyone else" it was a long rant.

i havent told anyone, nor do i plan too. and i cant eat in class ether, but i do chew a ton of gum outside of lessons and stuf.
Original post by PandaWho
Yep its PHQ-9 i think, then for anxiety its GAD-7 or have i got my numbers mixed up :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

it sounds right. ?
Original post by guitaristemily
im **** at sports too - but they make me do them anyway.

and i actaully said those words, and some others. i quote myself here " there wasnt just me playing out there, so i don tsee why i, the goal keeper, got the blame. its not as ifi can run that fast ,ether, and im smaller than everyone else" it was a long rant.

i havent told anyone, nor do i plan too. and i cant eat in class ether, but i do chew a ton of gum outside of lessons and stuf.

people are just horrible sometimes! Often they don't understand what **** people are going through either, and have no idea about what they're doing! I was never allowed to eat either, but i did so sneakily :colondollar: sorry i don't know what else to suggest!
people are just horrible sometimes! Often they don't understand what **** people are going through either, and have no idea about what they're doing! I was never allowed to eat either, but i did so sneakily :colondollar: sorry i don't know what else to suggest!

its ok.
Original post by .snowflake.
it sounds right. ?

I havnt done one in a while :wink: im too crazy for one :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
I havnt done one in a while :wink: im too crazy for one :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

awww
Awww I missed a troll :sad:

:tongue:

:grouphugs:
Original post by Deyesy
Unpopular opinion but placebo's have been proven to work. The guy had a point.

*Prepares to be utterly shot down by everyone in this thread*

Didn't see their posts but the placebo effect is a pretty interesting thing to look into. I'm going to take a wild guess and say they decided that because placebos work, the person must not have been suffering from anything in the first place. Which is *******s. Sugar pills work on all kinds of non-fictitious illnesses, for reasons nobody quite understands. Doesn't mean the person wasn't suffering from an illness in the first place, just means that they're human and susceptible to this weird effect that we find hard to account for. :smile:

Original post by McNuggetsAhoy
So I made it to University! First step out of the way.

Now I just need to find where all my lectures are held. I'm not that confident so looking through all the buildings is a bit of a struggle since I end up looking like a fool. Spent an hour wondering around campus aimlessly and got frustrated so ended up sitting in the coffee shop having a coffee on my own :redface:.

Still at least I found one room that I need for tomorrow so I know where to go and how long it'll take to get there.

Haven't really made any friends yet so will have to see how things go. I'm not a very sociable person and I don't tend to go out all that much. Everyone keeps asking me to go out but I'd rather sit in at the moment and organise myself properly.

Not really looking forward to the start of lessons since I sleep a lot due to medication and I have some early starts. Time will tell if I end up missing them due to over-sleeping.

Well done for making it to uni! :dance: And good luck for lectures and making friends. :smile:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Me too. :ashamed:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

It wasnt that exciting :nah:

-------------/-------------/--------------/-------------

Feeling really ****, down, crap, lonely. And got a meeting that im scared to go to incase i dont fit in, and im freaking out and urgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
im actually heartbroken
Original post by furryface12
That also makes sense! Walking's good, either way :smile:

He must be if he's doing a degree! There are definitely ways of coping with it, I'm just not always the best at them and carry on regardless until I crash :hide:

Good that you've been feeling better, sorry about the now bit but if the rest of today's been good then that's an improvement to be pleased with! :yep:
I'm alrightish, chest gone completely off into the world of ****ty repeated asthma attacks but hey, can't have everything...

That was quick with internet sorting! :eek: Sounds better than ours normally :tongue: Ooh, rubber band gun :colone: Duckie housemates beware!

GO SEE DUCKS! :biggrin: Actually, be sensible and email person :shakecane: I don't know, I hate decisions :lol:

It is :yep: :biggrin:

Exactly! :redface: I can only imagine how difficult it must be though :console: I'm sure you're doing very well considering it all :smile: :hugs: You did a whole DofE expedition!! :eek:

Yeah :redface: Generally been better the last week or so, though today's been rubbish so far tbh :frown: Eurgh, that doesn't sound fun at all - Do you have an inhaler? (I guess so - I guess they don't do that much though then? :s-smilie: :sad:)

I know! thought it'd take weeks, but all very simple :biggrin: Well I need to be careful, I think one of them has a nerf gun :tongue:

Might do later today :biggrin: Written a draft and sent to parents to read over, will send later this evening - the person only works 9-2 anyway, so doesn't matter so much now when I send it :redface: Me too :colondollar:

Hope asthma and stuff has been better for you today :hugs:

i wanted red but they'd sold out so, lime green it was! at least i know its mine :lol: as long as it does the job im not too fussed! my mom is paying for the stationary though so no, i can't :cry2: haha! yeah i think im just gonna get some ring binders for now, some pretty ring binders, and then see how it pans out throughout the year :tongue: i ALWAYS file, it helps me stress less if everything is organised, and i like to section off each thing, it gets a bit ridiculous really :colondollar:

im sort of game for drinking! im not game for LOADS of drinking, but if im going to a club then i definitely need to drink in order to have a good time, cos being at a club when sober is just **** :lol: we'll see how it goes! :') did you have a good day?

:lol: It can go along with your pink kettle? :tongue: Oh :frown: :console: Though actually - I suppose it's :gah: for free stationary! Haha, seems like a good idea :tongue: I wish I did :sad: I have found it quite de-stressing too to organise everything/have it all in the right place - very satisfying! Though at the same time it takes tiime :colondollar: I'd much rather be over-organised than under! (and sadly I am the latter :tongue: or I think I am :lol: At the same time I obsess/overthink most decisions...)

Haha :colondollar: Yesterday was awesome, yeah :smile: Today not so much sadly, but oh well :sigh: :s-smilie:
You up to much today?

Original post by Sabertooth
Haha, no worries. There were no biscuits or coffee but there was bread and wine if that counts? :tongue: And other than having to shake the people around me's hands I managed to avoid interacting with anyone. VICTORY!

Glad to hear you got the internet set up so quickly. All too often stuff like that ends up being an absolute nightmare. Hope you got to sleep alright and that your mood is better in the morning. Thanks for the advice.

Haha, I guess so :lol: Oh yes, I never quite understand that bit of a service completely, well, I sort of do, but anyway :colondollar: Thinking of going to the CU this year, I want some sort of faith back tbh, or even just to be about some (generally) super friendly people and free food!

Thanks! It almost did, but I think it was just me being impatient - in that it took maybe 2 hours to finally set up, but tbh I thought it'd be weeks before we were connected, so wasn't that bad at all (and quite possibly very good compared to most people's experiences - this is my first time though :colondollar:) Unfortunately not :colondollar: but did manage sleep!
We have to play scrabble soon :colone: Glad you had a good time there :smile:

Original post by Hopeless12345
It's a long shot but are there any people currently at lancaster uni who aren't freshers this year on here? I really really need someone to talk to because I'm absolutely terrified of starting uni and I don't know if I'll be able to get any help or support when I get to uni.

I don't go there, but I think most (if not all) universities will have some form of student support services - and there'll also be a GP clinic either on campus or nearby which you'll be able to register at/see GP's there.
I think on the whole student support services can vary a lot Uni to Uni - though I know that lancaster as a Uni generally gets pretty high student satisfaction scores, so maybe their support is quite good there? Though that's just a vague guess/hope.
Here's some links to lancaster stuff - they have counselling and wellbeing services, it seems :redface:
http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sbs/wellbeing/
http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sbs/counselling/

Hope this somehow vaguely helps, big hugs, and welcome to the thread!

Original post by james1211
Have the dentist soon. Scared. I eat too many sweets :colondollar:

Me too :colondollar: Haven't had an appointment in ages actually :s-smilie: Should probably sort it soon...
Hope it goes well!

Original post by Team_McDreamy

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by ScaryScience
:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
beside myself. been feeling really **** and emotional and got to uni. absolutely ****. parents were horrible the whole way, calling me names, and we argued and it was ****ing horrible. then I got my stuff out of the car and they just stayed sitting in the front, and they just said 'see you' and drove away. now left in a ****ty room all by myself surrounded by boxes I need to unpack but just bawling my eyes out :bawling:

:frown: they sound horrible! :jumphug: Hope you're feeling a bit better soon lovely :console: :hugs:

Original post by SweetNothing
I've brought my new puppy home today and he's fast asleep now!

:eek: Pictures at some point please :tongue: :biggrin:

Original post by Tillybop
Hi Guys

Sorry about the troll that seemed to pass through. All evidence of their presence has now been removed. :ninja:

Just a quick reminder, try not to respond to trolls, because most of the time it only makes matters worse.

Hope you're all ok :h:

:hugs: Thanks Tilly :redface: Hope you're okay

Original post by Deyesy
Unpopular opinion but placebo's have been proven to work. The guy had a point.

*Prepares to be utterly shot down by everyone in this thread*

I think the way he posted was just a bit combative possibly? :dontknow: Didn't really know what I'd have said to him the way he posted, don't know :s-smilie: I don't know enough about it myself I suppose :colondollar:

Hope you're doing okay at the moment Deyesy - are you starting Uni soon? I can't remember :colondollar:

Original post by McNuggetsAhoy
So I made it to University! First step out of the way.

Now I just need to find where all my lectures are held. I'm not that confident so looking through all the buildings is a bit of a struggle since I end up looking like a fool. Spent an hour wondering around campus aimlessly and got frustrated so ended up sitting in the coffee shop having a coffee on my own :redface:.

Still at least I found one room that I need for tomorrow so I know where to go and how long it'll take to get there.

Haven't really made any friends yet so will have to see how things go. I'm not a very sociable person and I don't tend to go out all that much. Everyone keeps asking me to go out but I'd rather sit in at the moment and organise myself properly.

Not really looking forward to the start of lessons since I sleep a lot due to medication and I have some early starts. Time will tell if I end up missing them due to over-sleeping.

:woo: Well done :redface: I guess I'd advice following people between lectures if they're one after another :colondollar: Don't know - or I know that I found that everyone's so friendly at Uni, in freshers/first term particularly - if you ask someone where something is I'm sure they'll be friendly about it :redface: Though I appreciate that talking to strangers is kinda scary! Particularly peers you don't know (at least I find)
Hope you have a great time :hugs:

-----------------------------------

Feeling bleh-ish most of today sadly, and I think I sort of know why - haven't gotten outside/done much :s-smilie: Going to cook some dinner now, then go to the ducks/tescos I think - just something to get me out really. :s-smilie: Can reply to property manager person soon, once mum's replied, then don't know what.
Might try and watch doctor who tomorrow in cinema, and hopefully finish tidying everything away too.

:sigh: I know it's just a small hiccup/I've in general had a great week/few days, but still just so annoying :frown: :dontknow:
Original post by purple-duck

Spoiler

Spoiler

It is :yep: :biggrin:

Exactly! :redface: I can only imagine how difficult it must be though :console: I'm sure you're doing very well considering it all :smile: :hugs: You did a whole DofE expedition!! :eek:

Yeah :redface: Generally been better the last week or so, though today's been rubbish so far tbh :frown: Eurgh, that doesn't sound fun at all - Do you have an inhaler? (I guess so - I guess they don't do that much though then? :s-smilie: :sad:)

I know! thought it'd take weeks, but all very simple :biggrin: Well I need to be careful, I think one of them has a nerf gun :tongue:

Might do later today :biggrin: Written a draft and sent to parents to read over, will send later this evening - the person only works 9-2 anyway, so doesn't matter so much now when I send it :redface: Me too :colondollar:

Hope asthma and stuff has been better for you today :hugs:

:lol: It can go along with your pink kettle? :tongue: Oh :frown: :console: Though actually - I suppose it's :gah: for free stationary! Haha, seems like a good idea :tongue: I wish I did :sad: I have found it quite de-stressing too to organise everything/have it all in the right place - very satisfying! Though at the same time it takes tiime :colondollar: I'd much rather be over-organised than under! (and sadly I am the latter :tongue: or I think I am :lol: At the same time I obsess/overthink most decisions...)

Haha :colondollar: Yesterday was awesome, yeah :smile: Today not so much sadly, but oh well :sigh: :s-smilie:
You up to much today?

Haha, I guess so :lol: Oh yes, I never quite understand that bit of a service completely, well, I sort of do, but anyway :colondollar: Thinking of going to the CU this year, I want some sort of faith back tbh, or even just to be about some (generally) super friendly people and free food!

Thanks! It almost did, but I think it was just me being impatient - in that it took maybe 2 hours to finally set up, but tbh I thought it'd be weeks before we were connected, so wasn't that bad at all (and quite possibly very good compared to most people's experiences - this is my first time though :colondollar:) Unfortunately not :colondollar: but did manage sleep!
We have to play scrabble soon :colone: Glad you had a good time there :smile:

I don't go there, but I think most (if not all) universities will have some form of student support services - and there'll also be a GP clinic either on campus or nearby which you'll be able to register at/see GP's there.
I think on the whole student support services can vary a lot Uni to Uni - though I know that lancaster as a Uni generally gets pretty high student satisfaction scores, so maybe their support is quite good there? Though that's just a vague guess/hope.
Here's some links to lancaster stuff - they have counselling and wellbeing services, it seems :redface:
http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sbs/wellbeing/
http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sbs/counselling/

Hope this somehow vaguely helps, big hugs, and welcome to the thread!

Me too :colondollar: Haven't had an appointment in ages actually :s-smilie: Should probably sort it soon...
Hope it goes well!

Spoiler

:frown: they sound horrible! :jumphug: Hope you're feeling a bit better soon lovely :console: :hugs:

:hugs: Thanks Tilly :redface: Hope you're okay

I think the way he posted was just a bit combative possibly? :dontknow: Didn't really know what I'd have said to him the way he posted, don't know :s-smilie: I don't know enough about it myself I suppose :colondollar:

Hope you're doing okay at the moment Deyesy - are you starting Uni soon? I can't remember :colondollar:

:woo: Well done :redface: I guess I'd advice following people between lectures if they're one after another :colondollar: Don't know - or I know that I found that everyone's so friendly at Uni, in freshers/first term particularly - if you ask someone where something is I'm sure they'll be friendly about it :redface: Though I appreciate that talking to strangers is kinda scary! Particularly peers you don't know (at least I find)
Hope you have a great time :hugs:

-----------------------------------

Feeling bleh-ish most of today sadly, and I think I sort of know why - haven't gotten outside/done much :s-smilie: Going to cook some dinner now, then go to the ducks/tescos I think - just something to get me out really. :s-smilie: Can reply to property manager person soon, once mum's replied, then don't know what.
Might try and watch doctor who tomorrow in cinema, and hopefully finish tidying everything away too.

:sigh: I know it's just a small hiccup/I've in general had a great week/few days, but still just so annoying :frown: :dontknow:

thanks. feels like ive been punched in the stomach right now tbh.
I think my anxiety is mostly selfishness on my part to be honest :frown: .

Though I think I have social media anxiety because it stresses me when I know people have sent me msgs on fb they expect replies to and additionally when I avoid it then they start following me on other sites - awkward! :colondollar:
Oh yeah you have to pay don't you...dentist prices are ridiculous -.-

I'm coming back for his birthday in a month, he's gone more than a month without seeing me before haha I'll see him on Thursday before I go anyway!

£18.50 for a check up. Told me everything was fine no decay no trend towards gum disease. Did say my jaw is tight from grinding my teeth, he thinks it's stress. Gave me exercises. He did tell me off for snacking too much though :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay! :p:

Theres one for now, he's fast asleep again!

I know that feeling where you've had a great few days and then you get a bit down, it's normal though don't let it get to you too much!

Original post by Tibbz2
I would love a new dog, but if I'm off to uni next year then it would be unfair to get one as I would never see it regularly :frown:

I'm staying at home for uni when I go back and my mum doesn't work that much so someone will be home with him all the time, so we've finally got one!
Original post by james1211
£18.50 for a check up. Told me everything was fine no decay no trend towards gum disease. Did say my jaw is tight from grinding my teeth, he thinks it's stress. Gave me exercises. He did tell me off for snacking too much though :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

lool mine asked me if i ate loads of cake and chocolate, i was so tempted to be like 'well i didn't get to this size on celery, did i?' :lol:

Latest