The Student Room Group

How to write a second personal statement for your fifth subject

Hey guys :biggrin: I'm going to be applying to medical school next month, and as a fifth choice I have chosen to study biochemistry at Bath University. I've contacted Bath and they've told me that I can send them a secondary personal statement. I'm unsure of how to go about writing it, however! Do I talk about my passion for biochemistry in the same way that I did for medicine or not? Would they not see my medicine personal statement and think "he can't be interested in biochemistry AND medicine" or, because they are related subjects, would they be okay with that?
Original post by sbzk101
Hey guys :biggrin: I'm going to be applying to medical school next month, and as a fifth choice I have chosen to study biochemistry at Bath University. I've contacted Bath and they've told me that I can send them a secondary personal statement. I'm unsure of how to go about writing it, however! Do I talk about my passion for biochemistry in the same way that I did for medicine or not? Would they not see my medicine personal statement and think "he can't be interested in biochemistry AND medicine" or, because they are related subjects, would they be okay with that?

University courses that are typical back ups for medical applicants are very used to receiving a medicine ps. They understand the score. You must devote your application completely to medicine to stand a chance, and they know that. If they have offered you the chance to send a second ps, then they are clearly used to this kind of thing. You must be a bit interested in biochem to put it as a back up, or you would otherwise leave the fifth slot blank, so wipe all thoughts of medicine out of your mind for the time you are writing it, and write it as if you mean it. If you don't mean it, don't apply.
Original post by sbzk101

It must feel really strange to have to do that.

I mean, you can hardly start off along the lines of..."I have had a passion for biochemistry from the moment I received my fourth rejection for medicine..." can you?? :tongue:
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
University courses that are typical back ups for medical applicants are very used to receiving a medicine ps. They understand the score. You must devote your application completely to medicine to stand a chance, and they know that. If they have offered you the chance to send a second ps, then they are clearly used to this kind of thing. You must be a bit interested in biochem to put it as a back up, or you would otherwise leave the fifth slot blank, so wipe all thoughts of medicine out of your mind for the time you are writing it, and write it as if you mean it. If you don't mean it, don't apply.

Thanks! I just want to clarify: my medicine personal statement starts with a general "I've been interested in medicine ....", so how do you recommend I should start my biochemistry personal statement? Something saying "this is why I'm interested in biochem...."? Also, do you think I could get away with submitting my medicine personal statement to Bath for Biochemistry if what you say is true about them being used to medicine-orientated personal statements? Because in it, I have several points whee I demonstrate my interest in biochemistry (such as how drug receptors work etc).
Original post by sbzk101
Thanks! I just want to clarify: my medicine personal statement starts with a general "I've been interested in medicine ....", so how do you recommend I should start my biochemistry personal statement? Something saying "this is why I'm interested in biochem...."? Also, do you think I could get away with submitting my medicine personal statement to Bath for Biochemistry if what you say is true about them being used to medicine-orientated personal statements? Because in it, I have several points whee I demonstrate my interest in biochemistry (such as how drug receptors work etc).

If they've offered you the chance to do a new one, then do so. There's nothing stopping you from using stuff from the medicine PS in the biochem one. Starting with 'I'm interested in Biochem because' is perfectly acceptable. But a Personal Statement for an academic rather than vocational course should be different. You'll need much less about your volunteering/shadowing work and more about your interest in the subject.
At the end of the day, a lot don't actually look at your personal statements, and I'm sure they will understand how tough medical schools are for personal statements.

im applying for veterinary, but putting down healthcare science as a back up and the universities are fine with it as I have above their academic requirements.

If you feel bad about it just ask if it's okay to apply with a personal statement for medicine :smile:
Original post by ageshallnot
It must feel really strange to have to do that.

I mean, you can hardly start off along the lines of..."I have had a passion for biochemistry from the moment I received my fourth rejection for medicine..." can you?? :tongue:

Hahahaha :biggrin: "ever since I was told I wasn't going to get into medical school, I've been interested in fascinating biochemistry....". In all seriousness, I'm actually really interested in biochemistry because it involves my beloved chemistry! :P
Reply 7
Original post by sbzk101

If they've given you the chance to submit an alternative statement for the course, do it. It's not worth being lazy over because there will be biochemistry applicants who actually want that place.

No need to get so strung up on the wording, but just convey that you are infact interested in studying biochemistry because x, y, and z. It's acceptable to talk about medical relations if your intention (should you end up with biochemistry) is to pursue a career in a medical field. Otherwise, just forget about the medicine aspect for a moment and look at the areas of biochemistry that you like, and why you'd be good at it.
Original post by LadyEcliptic
At the end of the day, a lot don't actually look at your personal statements, and I'm sure they will understand how tough medical schools are for personal statements.

im applying for veterinary, but putting down healthcare science as a back up and the universities are fine with it as I have above their academic requirements.

If you feel bad about it just ask if it's okay to apply with a personal statement for medicine :smile:

Yeah, good point. If you've got the grades, I'd assume they wouldn't mind too much about the intentions of the person applying to the course?
Original post by Nymthae
If they've given you the chance to submit an alternative statement for the course, do it. It's not worth being lazy over because there will be biochemistry applicants who actually want that place.

No need to get so strung up on the wording, but just convey that you are infact interested in studying biochemistry because x, y, and z. It's acceptable to talk about medical relations if your intention (should you end up with biochemistry) is to pursue a career in a medical field. Otherwise, just forget about the medicine aspect for a moment and look at the areas of biochemistry that you like, and why you'd be good at it.

I don't have too much to write about, but thanks for the advice. I'm interested in biochemistry, so I'm sure I can find something to write about!
Original post by sbzk101

Others (Pythianlegume esp) have given you good advice. Given that most universities don't let you submit a second statement anyway, you COULD use the medicine one, but I'd have thought that since you've been given the chance, you'd want to take it and amend it accordingly.
Original post by sbzk101
I don't have too much to write about, but thanks for the advice. I'm interested in biochemistry, so I'm sure I can find something to write about!

Well sure, comparative to medicine you probably don't have a lot - but as a chemist, who didn't have work experience or anything, you can just waffle on about stuff you like that you've learnt about, and obviously the combination of biology and chemistry I think should give you enough. Just the general... I REALLY LIKE SCIENCE type vibe, I suppose :biggrin:
Original post by sbzk101
Yeah, good point. If you've got the grades, I'd assume they wouldn't mind too much about the intentions of the person applying to the course?

Well, anyone applying to a back up course would gladly have a person with the characteristics of a good doctor being on their course. I'm sure they will understand seeing a medicine PS, but as I said, if you feel bad contact the universities. I was quite shocked that they said it would be okay because it's 2 completely different fields.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Others (Pythianlegume esp) have given you good advice. Given that most universities don't let you submit a second statement anyway, you COULD use the medicine one, but I'd have thought that since you've been given the chance, you'd want to take it and amend it accordingly.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely use that opportunity and send them a more biochemistry-orientated one :smile:
Original post by Nymthae
Well sure, comparative to medicine you probably don't have a lot - but as a chemist, who didn't have work experience or anything, you can just waffle on about stuff you like that you've learnt about, and obviously the combination of biology and chemistry I think should give you enough. Just the general... I REALLY LIKE SCIENCE type vibe, I suppose :biggrin:

Thanks for the advice!
I wouldn't worry about your biochem application. I'm pretty sure they'll accept you anyway
Haha, thanks for the confidence :biggrin:
Just had one last question - since I'm only applying to Bath for biochem, is it worth me tailoring it a bit towards them? (e.g. explaining why I chose them?).
Original post by sbzk101
Just had one last question - since I'm only applying to Bath for biochem, is it worth me tailoring it a bit towards them? (e.g. explaining why I chose them?).

I would focus more on the course rather than the university - flattery in PSs (e.g. 'the amazing facilities at X') often sound cringey and don't really add anything to the PS. What you could do is talk about particular research foci in the department (without mentioning the department specifically)
Original post by *Interrobang*
I would focus more on the course rather than the university - flattery in PSs (e.g. 'the amazing facilities at X') often sound cringey and don't really add anything to the PS. What you could do is talk about particular research foci in the department (without mentioning the department specifically)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending