The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samir12
I agree with your post, it was a shame Lallana got injured in preseason so he was always going to have a tough start. Balotelli got his first goal so hopefully that will give him confidence to score more, he will play better with Sturridge imo.

I think the blatant issue is the fact that Sturridge is injured and hence why you don't look as threatening. His movement allows pockets of space to develop behind the opposition CBs and hence allow Sterling and others to drive into that space. Sterling seemed a bit quiet imo. Also, Balotelli needs to start making runs into the box instead of dropping off the penalty box and waiting for the ball to be played to his feet, that was a main issue which occurred in the first half.

All in all, 3 points is 3 points but surely you cant put in a performance like that against RM? It'll be a horror show if you guys did, Bale and Ronaldo would destroy you.
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
I think the blatant issue is the fact that Sturridge is injured and hence why you don't look as threatening. His movement allows pockets of space to develop behind the opposition CBs and hence allow Sterling and others to drive into that space. Sterling seemed a bit quiet imo. Also, Balotelli needs to start making runs into the box instead of dropping off the penalty box and waiting for the ball to be played to his feet, that was a main issue which occurred in the first half.

All in all, 3 points is 3 points but surely you cant put in a performance like that against RM? It'll be a horror show if you guys did, Bale and Ronaldo would destroy you.

Yep, last season Suarez also made those type of movements. Rodgers is going to have to try and coach Ballotelli into making those movements, Remy would of been perfect tbh...

Sturridge along with other players should be back from injury by the time RM game comes up, hopefully the squad will have also gelled more.
(edited 9 years ago)
[INDENT]Wehey!

We're back!

Yes we don't look anywhere near as good as last season. But we've got a new squad and only played a handful of games. Brendan in the interview said this. We'll pick up our game, for now its about gelling and so for the next few weeks I won't care about our performance. just the result.

When the team has gelled, then I'll start nit picking the team.

Onto West Ham! [/INDENT]

HOLY JESUS CHRIST!

Just finished work.
Probably just as well that I didn't see the match - I would've probably been crying when they scored their goal.

How was our general performance?
Were we as terrible as against Villa or did we have a decent amount of chances but just failed to convert?

I suppose a win is a win although a last minute penalty to beat Ludogrets is not what you want :/
Oh well, 3 points; let's move on to Basel I guess.
Original post by sr90
If the alternative is watching my team play ****e like that, i'd rather not be in it.

with respect, why do you always have to act so bitter towards us?
i understand you're a united fan so you may dislike liverpool but we both know the statement you posted there is absolute nonsense.

i'm just watched the highlights and i do admit we were lucky, but if the roles were reversed i'm sure you'd be saying "3 points is all that matters".

also on a sidenote, does anybody know what mignolet was doing for their goal.
total liability - tried to give him a chance but the sooner we bring in somebody like valdes, the better.
i hope rodgers is taking note of these awful mistakes; that's the second time we've let in a goal because he was off his line for no actual reason (aguero goal in the city match)
Original post by Lúcio
i understand you're a united fan so you may dislike liverpool but we both know the statement you posted there is absolute nonsense.

i'm just watched the highlights and i do admit we were lucky, but if the roles were reversed i'm sure you'd be saying "3 points is all that matters".

total liability - tried to give him a chance but the sooner we bring in somebody like valdes, the better.
i hope rodgers is taking note of these awful mistakes; that's the second time we've let in a goal because he was off his line for no actual reason (aguero goal in the city match)

Have to agree, no idea what the hell Mignolet is doing there. Makes the complete wrong decision to run out (despite the fact that there are 2 defenders in line with their attacker) and is left looking like an idiot. Also thought the penalty was a bit soft tbh.
Original post by Lúcio

Think he was wumming tbh. Don't pretend you haven't done it. And we were ****e, hence I replied by slating his team too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomtjl
Have to agree, no idea what the hell Mignolet is doing there. Makes the complete wrong decision to run out (despite the fact that there are 2 defenders in line with their attacker) and is left looking like an idiot. Also thought the penalty was a bit soft tbh.

i thinkquite possibly the most important factor between a world class keeper (like neuer) and a "good" keeper (like mignolet) isn't reflexes or kicking - it isn't anything physical.
it's all in the head; simple decision making.

whether to come and punch the ball away from a corner, whether to come off your line to beat a striker the the ball, etc...
neuer is amazing at judgement; i personally have NEVER seen him make a significant mistake with regards to decision making (although i've mainly seen him at internation, not club level).

mignloet just can't make the right decision; his judgement is way off.
his physical attributes like his reflexes might be good, but he can never be the keeper we want if he's giving away such simple, amateur-like goals.

may i'm being a little harsh on him but i feel like i've given him the benefit of the doubt, i've given him time to prove himself and he just hasn't done it in my eyes.

Original post by addylad
Think he was wumming tbh. Don't pretend you haven't done it. And we were ****e, hence I replied by slating his team too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

a mod wumming?
lol.

oh yeah i'm not saying i'm innocent but it's just funny seeing a united fan acting like that when they aren't even in the bloody competition...

regarding our performance i can't really say anything since i only saw the highlights (i.e: the "highs" of the match) rather than the lows which i'm sure there were many of.
Original post by Lúcio
i thinkquite possibly the most important factor between a world class keeper (like neuer) and a "good" keeper (like mignolet) isn't reflexes or kicking - it isn't anything physical.
it's all in the head; simple decision making.

whether to come and punch the ball away from a corner, whether to come off your line to beat a striker the the ball, etc...
neuer is amazing at judgement; i personally have NEVER seen him make a significant mistake with regards to decision making (although i've mainly seen him at internation, not club level).

mignloet just can't make the right decision; his judgement is way off.
his physical attributes like his reflexes might be good, but he can never be the keeper we want if he's giving away such simple, amateur-like goals.

may i'm being a little harsh on him but i feel like i've given him the benefit of the doubt, i've given him time to prove himself and he just hasn't done it in my eyes.

a mod wumming?
lol.

oh yeah i'm not saying i'm innocent but it's just funny seeing a united fan acting like that when they aren't even in the bloody competition...

regarding our performance i can't really say anything since i only saw the highlights (i.e: the "highs" of the match) rather than the lows which i'm sure there were many of.

Yes, I know it sounds incredible and off-the-wall, but a mod wumming is not an impossibility. All good-natured joshing.

We got carved open multiple times. But the team is bedding in still. If we're like this in five games I might start worrying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by addylad
Yes, I know it sounds incredible and off-the-wall, but a mod wumming is not an impossibility. All good-natured joshing.

We got carved open multiple times. But the team is bedding in still. If we're like this in five games I might start worrying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the bit in bold made me lol :tongue:
yeah true, a mod is of course allowed to wum a little.
but it has been a recurrant theme over the last few weeks, more bitter than banter.

hmmm, could use the excuse that ludogrets will have been properly up for it; today was a historical day for their club.
yeah, we just need some kind of momentum; i'll catch the second half of the west ham game after work on saturday, hopefully we perform better then.

at least we got the points though!
Original post by Lúcio
the bit in bold made me lol :tongue:
yeah true, a mod is of course allowed to wum a little.
but it has been a recurrant theme over the last few weeks, more bitter than banter.

hmmm, could use the excuse that ludogrets will have been properly up for it; today was a historical day for their club.
yeah, we just need some kind of momentum; i'll catch the second half of the west ham game after work on saturday, hopefully we perform better then.

at least we got the points though!

Lol, I think 'joshing' is a word that fell out of favour about three decades ago. Now it's 'banter'.

Think they had an extra day rest, correct me if I'm wrong someone. People have said it before about our team, that when Gerrard/Torres/Suarez/Sterling were out of the starting XI, it gives the opposition a huge boost. I think having Sturridge out and a crap bench would make them think 'this is a golden opportunity'.

Edit: think I used think too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by addylad
Lol, I think 'joshing' is a word that fell out of favour about three decades ago. Now it's 'banter'.

Think they had an extra day rest, correct me if I'm wrong someone. People have said it before about our team, that when Gerrard/Torres/Suarez/Sterling were out of the starting XI, it gives the opposition a huge boost. I think having Sturridge out and a crap bench would make them think 'this is a golden opportunity'.

Edit: think I used think too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nah, joshing is solid - you should use it more often.

quite possibly; no suttirdge certainly has lowed our morale and could have raised theirs.
regardless of the circumstances though, regardless of how excellent ludogrets have done domestically, scraping a 2-1 win in the last minutes is not what the world expected.

at least people can see you're thinking...
can't say the same for other posts on this forum :wink:
Really great dramatic first win.

Ludogorets were always going to be trickier in reality than on paper. It was a huge occasion for our young players, too. The main thing is we got the three points - and it's certainly fitting that it was Stevie G who sealed them! Never any doubt when he stepped up in the last minute. Part of me wanted to give it Balo, though.

Balotelli will be buzzing off opening his account and it should act at settling a bit of the expectation. Alberto Moreno and Manquillo were our best players last night I'd argue. Huge tackle from Moreno in the last ten minutes to keep us level before Balotelli's goal. We were forced into wide areas to try and find creativity because of a packed centre of the pitch and they were both so important bombing down the flanks and providing - one for Balotelli's goal and then Manquillo winning the penalty.

Lallana is still nowhere near full-match sharpness yet so I will alleviate judgement, but Coutinho appears to be trying too hard to force things to happen. He seems to be playing with a weight on his shoulders rather than in a care-free manner.
Fullbacks got us the points last night. Wouldn't have won that last year. Sorry state of affairs to have to be bailed out by a goalkeeping error at home to CL newcomers, but it happens. Good teams get through **** performances with the points, and we did that, so it's encouraging at least.

Last year we had EVERYTHING as an attacking unit except penetration and final delivery from the fullbacks, so it's great that Brendan rectified the situation. Fullbacks always needed upgrading within two years and now we have two top quality ones.

Moreno is more of an established player, done very well for us (WHAT A ****ING TACKLE LAST NIGHT) and is still improving, but special praise has to be reserved for Manquillo I think. He's only 20. He came here touted as an attacking fullback, equally comfortable defending though. qua and others said he's as naturally talented as any of his crop, and that he's like a mini Zabaleta. He did well in his first few games, but it was Arbeloa rather than Zabaleta that people compared him to. I think we saw the first few glimpses of the flying overlapping attacker in him last night. His touch is still a bit erratic near the byline, passing and interplay is a bit unpolished at times (needs work in the rondos lol), he isn't perfect yet. He's barely even played a dozen first team games, but he really looks the part. Should have scored off the Henderson chance, he really should have, just lost his composure under pressure, but then in the 93rd minute to show the stamina and energy to be charging down the keeper and winning a penalty, that's just ****ing fantastic. As he irons out the small lapses in concentration, matures a little and grows into the team, we'll see a proper ****ing fullback.
also great goal from balotelli.

supposedly if you are relying more on your fullbacks it's good that brendan improved them, when sturridge comes back you lot will be quite scary tbh.

annoying thing is that if sturridge is fit he'll be playing in the england fixtures, think he should just fob off england for a bit until he gets back to full fitness
Mario was encouraging in the second half.

Needs to offload the ball quicker still but he's getting used to it.
Original post by Mackay
Alberto Moreno and Manquillo were our best players last night I'd argue. Huge tackle from Moreno in the last ten minutes to keep us level before Balotelli's goal. We were forced into wide areas to try and find creativity because of a packed centre of the pitch and they were both so important bombing down the flanks and providing - one for Balotelli's goal and then Manquillo winning the penalty.

Lallana is still nowhere near full-match sharpness yet so I will alleviate judgement, but Coutinho appears to be trying too hard to force things to happen. He seems to be playing with a weight on his shoulders rather than in a care-free manner.

i agree - i'm so glad we improved fullbacks; manquillo is way better than i expected and sooooo much better than johnson.
i really hope rodgers doesn't put johnson back in the first team when he recovers :/
don't need to say much about moreno, i just knew he'd be great - so happy we held out for him instead of getting one of the lesser options like bertrand.

yeah, not gonna hate on lallana too much, he's been injured and he's still bedding in so (like i did with mignolet) i'll give him time to prove himself.
as for coutinho, he's really up and down and it's infuriating, he'll run the show one day and do nothing the next.
i don't think he should be given a start in the next game - consistency is what we need and he just isn't showing it.

Original post by New God Flow
Fullbacks got us the points last night. Wouldn't have won that last year. Sorry state of affairs to have to be bailed out by a goalkeeping error at home to CL newcomers, but it happens. Good teams get through **** performances with the points, and we did that, so it's encouraging at least.

Last year we had EVERYTHING as an attacking unit except penetration and final delivery from the fullbacks, so it's great that Brendan rectified the situation. Fullbacks always needed upgrading within two years and now we have two top quality ones.

Moreno is more of an established player, done very well for us (WHAT A ****ING TACKLE LAST NIGHT) and is still improving, but special praise has to be reserved for Manquillo I think. He's only 20. He came here touted as an attacking fullback, equally comfortable defending though. qua and others said he's as naturally talented as any of his crop, and that he's like a mini Zabaleta. He did well in his first few games, but it was Arbeloa rather than Zabaleta that people compared him to. I think we saw the first few glimpses of the flying overlapping attacker in him last night. His touch is still a bit erratic near the byline, passing and interplay is a bit unpolished at times (needs work in the rondos lol), he isn't perfect yet. He's barely even played a dozen first team games, but he really looks the part. Should have scored off the Henderson chance, he really should have, just lost his composure under pressure, but then in the 93rd minute to show the stamina and energy to be charging down the keeper and winning a penalty, that's just ****ing fantastic. As he irons out the small lapses in concentration, matures a little and grows into the team, we'll see a proper ****ing fullback.

i agree, our fullbacks are boss now - who knew manquillo would be this impressive though?
i love how attacking they are but also how they run back too; they're really fast and agile so they can track back really well.

people have been slating our defence, but bar mignolet i'm not even worried.
moreno and manquillo are great fullbacks.
lovren is a very solid CB to have and skrtel partners him well.
when one of those is missing and sakho/johnson has to fill in, that's where we'll have problems (along with the constant issue of mignolet making mistakes).
Original post by Lúcio
i agree - i'm so glad we improved fullbacks; manquillo is way better than i expected and sooooo much better than johnson.
i really hope rodgers doesn't put johnson back in the first team when he recovers :/
don't need to say much about moreno, i just knew he'd be great - so happy we held out for him instead of getting one of the lesser options like bertrand.

If Johnson starts, I'll riot.
Original post by Mackay
If Johnson starts, I'll riot.

i'd shed a fair few tears.
i just have a bad feeling about it though, even though manquillo has proved himself so far.
Got a ticket to the Middlesbrough game next week :smile:

Anyone else here going?

Quick Reply

Latest