The Student Room Group

Official gap year thread- 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by licoricebish
Hi there!
I'm starting a Gap Year! I'm not that excited about that because I do not know what's next... :frown:(( If any of you can give me advices/tips on what to do this year, I will be very grateful! I feel a little bad about all this because all my peers have started Uni so I'm quite desperate :frown:

Hey! Are you on a forced gap year by any chance? If so, join the club. I know the feeling watching all your friends go off to uni, it might be advisable to stay away from facebook for the next month or so to avoid seeing freshers pictures everywhere (trust me I know that feeling). Anyway, the best thing to do really is to make the most out of your gap year, that way it won't feel like you've wasted a year. You can do so many things with a year when you're not studying you could:
1) Get a job/a new job
2) Improve your grades (if needed)
3) Travel
4) Learn a new skill such as a language
5) Volunteer
6) Volunteer abroad
7) Improve your university application
8) Improve your CV for the future
9) Uptake a new qualification
10) Decide what you want to do in your future

There are such a range of things you can do, which will be so worth while and enjoyable! If you are on a forced gap year (like me) its understandable to feel sad, especially at this time when everyone is moving away to go to uni and are putting all those photos up of their uni life, but all that will die down, really the best thing to do, is to grab life by the throat and change your prospective on things. Yes you've got a gap year, this is an opportunity that you are not going to leave go easily. Make the most of it and have fun. Have you got any ideas at all of what you want to do? :smile:
Original post by LouieSax
Hey! Are you on a forced gap year by any chance? If so, join the club. I know the feeling watching all your friends go off to uni, it might be advisable to stay away from facebook for the next month or so to avoid seeing freshers pictures everywhere (trust me I know that feeling). Anyway, the best thing to do really is to make the most out of your gap year, that way it won't feel like you've wasted a year. You can do so many things with a year when you're not studying you could:
1) Get a job/a new job
2) Improve your grades (if needed)
3) Travel
4) Learn a new skill such as a language
5) Volunteer
6) Volunteer abroad
7) Improve your university application
8) Improve your CV for the future
9) Uptake a new qualification
10) Decide what you want to do in your future

There are such a range of things you can do, which will be so worth while and enjoyable! If you are on a forced gap year (like me) its understandable to feel sad, especially at this time when everyone is moving away to go to uni and are putting all those photos up of their uni life, but all that will die down, really the best thing to do, is to grab life by the throat and change your prospective on things. Yes you've got a gap year, this is an opportunity that you are not going to leave go easily. Make the most of it and have fun. Have you got any ideas at all of what you want to do? :smile:

Hey! I'm on a forced Gap Year and I'm really desperate. I'm a Black Italian and I moved to the UK about a month ago, hoping to get an admission at Uni but... Things never go the way you wished :frown: I would like to apply for Uni (International Business and Law Undergraduate Degree Course, 2015) but.. what will I do now? However, I am interested in looking for Jobs and getting engaged in Volunteering. I think it's not a bad idea, right? :smile:
Original post by licoricebish
Hey! I'm on a forced Gap Year and I'm really desperate. I'm a Black Italian and I moved to the UK about a month ago, hoping to get an admission at Uni but... Things never go the way you wished :frown: I would like to apply for Uni (International Business and Law Undergraduate Degree Course, 2015) but.. what will I do now? However, I am interested in looking for Jobs and getting engaged in Volunteering. I think it's not a bad idea, right? :smile:

No never a bad idea and it'll be a good addition to your personal statement. Have you thought about getting work experience? (if you haven't already) Just try to do as much as you can in your gap year to make it all worth while :smile: Plus you'll have a far better CV from when after you graduate than others so its never a bad thing :smile: Just try to focus on your university application now build it up so its the best quality that you can make it, read some books around your subject of interest prehaps and get your application in before the Jan 15th Deadline :smile: I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by furryface12
Wish I was :tongue: Are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yah, want to come?
Reply 64
Anyone else finding it tough to find some work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThePrimeMover
Yah, want to come?

If I had any money at all I'd say yes, but without that then it's a bit of a problem unfortunately so I'll have to stick to being jealous of you :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, I need some gap year advice,
During this gap year I plan to save up some money for university, I am wondering if anyone can advice me on whether I should set up a student bank account this year, which will last me through to university? I already have a bank account for my general savings and things but should I set up another bank account in advance? Please help I'm not very well knowledgable on this sort of thing?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thank You
During this gap year I plan to save up some money for university, I am wondering if anyone can advice me on whether I should set up a student bank account this year, which will last me through to university? I already have a bank account for my general savings and things but should I set up another bank account in advance? Please help I'm not very well knowledgable on this sort of thing?
Thank You

I'm spending my gap year doing the same thing. My normal bank account automatically changed to a student one once they found out I had a confirmed place at uni (but I need to check that I can keep it that way since I'm not actually a student this year). I set up an ISA for my savings, which was really easy just to do through normal online banking, and I'm putting savings in there to differentiate from my money just for things I need in my normal account to make sure I don't spend it. I don't know how it works with your bank, but see if they allow gap year students to have a student account. If not, just keep a normal one and set up an ISA for savings. :smile: Hope this was kind of helpful, idrk much about this beyond my own basic experience
Thank You

You need to have a confirmed university place to open a student account. Anyway I don't really see the point of doing it now even if you could because it doesn't take long to set one up nearer the time. You can then transfer in all the cash from your general savings. The main benefit would be the interest free overdraft. :smile:
Original post by weevilface
I'm spending my gap year doing the same thing. My normal bank account automatically changed to a student one once they found out I had a confirmed place at uni (but I need to check that I can keep it that way since I'm not actually a student this year). I set up an ISA for my savings, which was really easy just to do through normal online banking, and I'm putting savings in there to differentiate from my money just for things I need in my normal account to make sure I don't spend it. I don't know how it works with your bank, but see if they allow gap year students to have a student account. If not, just keep a normal one and set up an ISA for savings. :smile: Hope this was kind of helpful, idrk much about this beyond my own basic experience

Original post by audi_turbo
You need to have a confirmed university place to open a student account. Anyway I don't really see the point of doing it now even if you could because it doesn't take long to set one up nearer the time. You can then transfer in all the cash from your general savings. The main benefit would be the interest free overdraft. :smile:

OK thanks so much guys for your help as you can see I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to these sorts of things. Thank you so much for your advice :smile:
Original post by Grammar Kid
Hi everyone,

So i am also on a gap year. not somthing i want to do but i knew it was going to happen for the entire year so it is what it is.

I am determined that it doesbt go to waste!

Am I redoing English and History (distence learning) AS and working part time at ASDA. Also an EPQ to help uni application. Also got some work experience sorted

For fun I am going to as many gigs and football games as I can... i now have time that I never had before on week nights and also loads of cities with mates i can crash in due to uni :biggrin:

Also getting fit (run to work and swim 4 times a week) and starting to learning sign language (my lifetime ambition) and finally learning to drive (got my theory test soon!!)

In the summer I hope to go to Glasto and finally inter-railing round europe.

Thats it for my gap year. I have been planning it for ages and saving up money too! Its starting to hit me as my mates start leaving for Uni though :frown: going to be quite a lonley time I think for awhile... still I am determinded to have a year which makes me glad Im not going to uni!

wow your story is the exact same as mine. i'm planning on going interrailing round spain,germany,france,england to watch a lot of football and go out in the cities , you thinking about doing a similar thing? message me
How are you? What are you doing with your year? :smile:

I am doing splendid thanks how about yourself?
So far I just completed work experience with rehabilitation brain injury unit and that was interesting to see how patient lives are extremely effected from different brain injuries. I am also currently working in Kumon teaching maths. At end of October I am going to go sight seeing in Istanbul and then travelling to India for some volunteering with orphans and teaching schools during the day and hospital work experience at night. As well as that I shall be doing some sightseeing in India. When I come back after a month I am off to visit some of my friends in university as well as revising for some resits which will take place in June. Then I am hopefully be able to go interailing in Canada/ go to Tomorrowland/ and do the la tomatia festival before going to uni.

how about yourself? :smile:
Reply 73
Right now I’m volunteering in a primary school until the end of the next school year, but next summer I’d love to lifeguard abroad. All of the places I’ve come across so far need a really early start date (June) - does anyone know if/how I could find somewhere for August-September? My uni starts early October next year so I’m free for the entirety of August & September, but essentially no later or earlier.
Original post by Joe2Jonas
I am doing splendid thanks how about yourself?
So far I just completed work experience with rehabilitation brain injury unit and that was interesting to see how patient lives are extremely effected from different brain injuries. I am also currently working in Kumon teaching maths. At end of October I am going to go sight seeing in Istanbul and then travelling to India for some volunteering with orphans and teaching schools during the day and hospital work experience at night. As well as that I shall be doing some sightseeing in India. When I come back after a month I am off to visit some of my friends in university as well as revising for some resits which will take place in June. Then I am hopefully be able to go interailing in Canada/ go to Tomorrowland/ and do the la tomatia festival before going to uni.

how about yourself? :smile:

Good :smile: Wow, you're doing a lot :eek: I take it you're a medicine applicant then? What's working at kumon like? That all sounds amazing though... I'm not really sure what I'm doing yet, trying to get a job and prepare my personal statement and things and then will maybe try and go travelling somewhere later in the year if I can. I also have some resits to do so I need to prepare for those as well :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just wanted to know how everyone is going about entering for retakes ?

Local colleges wont let me in due to changes in government funding so I have to go about sitting the exams privately .

If anyone has also had to do this could I please enquire how much you have had to pay ? Im hearing prices are as high as 80 pounds per paper
Original post by ParadiseFound
I just wanted to know how everyone is going about entering for retakes ?

Local colleges wont let me in due to changes in government funding so I have to go about sitting the exams privately .

If anyone has also had to do this could I please enquire how much you have had to pay ? Im hearing prices are as high as 80 pounds per paper

£100 per paper for me.
Original post by ThePrimeMover
£100 per paper for me.

ooophh , there I was thinking they must be extra expensive , this is certainly going to leave a whole in my wallet . How many papers are you sitting ?
Original post by ParadiseFound
ooophh , there I was thinking they must be extra expensive , this is certainly going to leave a whole in my wallet . How many papers are you sitting ?

Originally 3 but I was thinking of maybe a 4th since I was only 10 UMS of an A in that subject. I can think of better ways to spend £400 though.....
Good :smile: Wow, you're doing a lot :eek: I take it you're a medicine applicant then? What's working at kumon like? That all sounds amazing though... I'm not really sure what I'm doing yet, trying to get a job and prepare my personal statement and things and then will maybe try and go travelling somewhere later in the year if I can. I also have some resits to do so I need to prepare for those as well :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I guess its because I have always wanted to take a gap year and wanted to travel so I like to keep myself busy and improve on my personality :biggrin: I wanted to study medicine however due to the grades I decided to go graduate. Kumon has been great so far I do 7 hours a week and I vary in the job from marking all kinds of children homework to teaching the children themselves. Thanks and thats great what course you considering so far? Yeah resits suck as I hate learning the stuff again but I am sure we can smash it :cool: and where do you want to travel so far?

Quick Reply

Latest