The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

''Tomas Rosicky is the most underrated player in the PL'' I have said time and time over.

Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Agree on Rosicky, despite his injuries and age he always seems to operate like a fully fity 24 year old, his mentality is amazing. Said this before but honestly think if injuries didn't hamper him he would have been on Pires levels of admiration from the fans. His technical ability and intelligence are not talked about enough, I remember reading that during training when someone hits an outside of the boot pass they call it "The Rosicky" lol. He'll probably end up retiring this year though.

He genuinely has a better turn of pace than he did 6 years ago, I'm not sure why. But he genuinely plays with speed, intelligence and commitment.

Technique invariably flawless:

How must he feel watching Ozil from the bench?
(edited 9 years ago)
There was an interview when Cesc was at Barca, they asked him who the most intelligent midfielder he had played with was?>

''Tommy''
I also love Tommy because whenever we score against the scum, even if he hadnt scored or is even involved, he goes straight for the Yid end, and really gives the big un to that lot :laugh:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
''Tomas Rosicky is the most underrated player in the PL'' I have said time and time over.

He genuinely has a better turn of pace than he did 6 years ago, I'm not sure why. But he genuinely plays with speed, intelligence and commitment.

Technique invariably flawless:

How must he feel watching Ozil from the bench?

I also think he would make a great manager, seems like he's got a solid philosophy about football. Genuinely don't think he minds being on the bench, he strikes me as being one of the most modest and decent guys at the club. Always willing to fight for his place, no arguments. Great read btw if you haven't seen it;

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tomas-rosicky-interview-i-still-owe-so-much-to-arsenal-9658051.html
I also think he would make a great manager, seems like he's got a solid philosophy about football. Genuinely don't think he minds being on the bench, he strikes me as being one of the most modest and decent guys at the club. Always willing to fight for his place, no arguments. Great read btw if you haven't seen it;

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tomas-rosicky-interview-i-still-owe-so-much-to-arsenal-9658051.html

Agree 100%. His intelligence on the ball is flawless and he seems like a genuinely sweat fella. Always calm. You know why Wenger loves him!

Not alot of people know this, but his wife had a miscarriage around 2008 and alot of his 'injury' was mental. Ive heard he was in a really bad place for over a year, understandably. When I see the way he came back, you wonder what might have been...
(edited 9 years ago)
Probably easier to list the thing I don't like about Rosicky, wouldn't take half as long.
Original post by qua
Depends on your definition of great, but they played in a way didn't allow Arsenal to find into their game at all and that would be challenging for most teams. The only thing they really lacked was efficiency in front of goal. They pressed extremely well from front to back, especially in midfield where playing with Kehl AND Bender really payed off, helped them win loads of balls there and made up for Hummels not playing/Subotic not being 100%, and managed to keep the intensity really high for most of the game. Their team movement was great, they were constantly blocking Arsenal's passing lanes and rarely ever lost their team shape.
I'd certainly agree with that, very much so in the early stages of the game. However I don't think that intensity Dortmund opened the game with remained beyond the half hour mark. Arsenal were able to get on the ball, and advance further up the pitch as the match went on. Neither of Dortmund's goals came after a period sustained pressure, clever passing combination or a some kind of wonder striker, they were as much due to defensive errors as quality, particularly the first goal. I don't think that should have been enough for Arsenal's loss (which is the context of this thread) to be dismissed as a great Dortmund performance. Perhaps if we were discussing a plucky underdog's victory I would have said it was brilliant/great.

Not sure what you mean with "didn't control the ball"
I mean exactly what I wrote, they had 44% possession significantly less than they would normally have in game. In ceding possession, tactically or otherwise, Arsenal were not deprived of the benefits that possession brings. Arsenal are team which likes to keep hold of the ball( they are certainly geared towards requiring the ball), and to get the majority of the team to advanced areas. In the game was a whole Dortmund did not deny them either of those things.

Didn't see sloppy defending either.
Neither did I, hence why I didn't write it. However Arsenal had their chances, it wasn't a defensive shut out. Welbeck miscued at the far post, the chance just before half time, he had another after a good chance after a turn late on. Those are just notable chances for the main striker. Was it possible for Arsenal to score and should Welbeck have at least demanded a good save from those positions. I would say yes to both of them.

Not a perfect or unmanageable performance from BVB,
Which is the point I was contesting. Arkasia was suggesting that regardless of Arsenal being poor, Dortmund's performance was one of such quality Arsenal could not have won the game regardless. I simply don't see it that way.

but if you consider their injuries and the rotations they made even in their "second string" team (no Jojic, Kagawa, Piszczek), they fared extremely well.
Yes, and I would say that the result in the circumstances was great result for Dortmund. To play the strongest of your opposition with weakened team and to convincingly beat them, is something I'm sure they will be aware of in the second meeting.
I ****ing love Rosicky, everything about him.

Ozil is....well, he is...

He'll have his testimonial before long, Arsenal vs Sparta I guess?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
He needs to play in his correct position atm for starters but Wenger is more interested in fitting Ramsey and Wilshere together. Either drop Ozil or play him as no.10. Anyway Rosicky should play regardless. Ozil should only play when Sanchez and Chamberlain/Walcott are flanking him.
I think I wrote before, I saw someone making the argument (some stat guru) that if Ozil is indeed on the pitch from the moments of brilliance he provides, then playing him on the left isn't such a big deal. In terms of his offensive output, there is very little difference between him centrally and wide, its difficult to say how much truth there is in that. The 10 position does often require someone with a good work rate though, and his work rate is pretty poor. I can see why if that is to be believed Wenger might favour playing him wide and a more putting someone more industrious at 10.

Don't see why Wenger doesn't realise this.

Bugs life needs to be dropped.
How many other things could this be applied to with Wenger and Arsenal? Wenger is pretty stubborn, if he believes in him and in the system he's going to keep playing him in that way, and I don't think popular opinion has much weight. I do wonder how many people will be switching sides on your Ozil-v-Mata position.
will deffo miss my favourite social media enigma too
Oh so now all you guys are warmed up to getting a new manager
Original post by New God Flow
Oh so now all you guys are warmed up to getting a new manager

No Wenger stays. Till we literally wheel him out at 89 when he's muttering about how ''Jose Antonio Reyes did't like the weather but still a top player''
Reply 9452
will deffo miss my favourite social media enigma too

I genuinely want to know who took his shin pad.

I think it was Gnabry the cheeky kent.
Original post by swarly
I genuinely want to know who took his shin pad.

I think it was Gnabry the cheeky kent.

Nah he hid it himself, reckon he's been plannin that insta post for a good week.
Podolski's IQ is roughly 90. genuinely serious.

he probably couldnt find his way out of the Koln metro without help.
Without wifi for his selfies, genuinely in trouble
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9455
Nah he hid it himself, reckon he's been plannin that insta post for a good week.

ahhh man is so bait :lol: surprised he doesnt put #tfl
Original post by Fizzel
I think I wrote before, I saw someone making the argument (some stat guru) that if Ozil is indeed on the pitch from the moments of brilliance he provides, then playing him on the left isn't such a big deal. In terms of his offensive output, there is very little difference between him centrally and wide, its difficult to say how much truth there is in that. The 10 position does often require someone with a good work rate though, and his work rate is pretty poor. I can see why if that is to be believed Wenger might favour playing him wide and a more putting someone more industrious at 10.

How many other things could this be applied to with Wenger and Arsenal? Wenger is pretty stubborn, if he believes in him and in the system he's going to keep playing him in that way, and I don't think popular opinion has much weight. I do wonder how many people will be switching sides on your Ozil-v-Mata position.

Yeah I can see that. Personally I just think that Ozil doesn't have the requisite pace to play on the wing or the work rate. If you can get 2 hardworking players behind him and hardworking players on the flanks that have pace that's where Ozil thrives. Ozil's strengths out wide is that he has a good cross on him, he doesn't have blistering pace and his technique alone and dribbling ability can't get past people like Iniesta can out wide. Ozil doesn't seem to take players on unless in space at Arsenal.

I agree wrt popular opinion, it depends on many factors, media exposure mainly. You hear Ozil come in as this top player who played at Real Madrid for a big price tag to Arsenal who needed a big signing and hes heralded as the saviour despite Arsenal being covered in the position. I doubt many people watched Ozil bar for the odd champions league game so couldn't talk too much about his consistency and just saw stats. I think he'll become a relative success though like Benzema at Real.

Wenger hasn't really played with an archetypical no.10 this year though and if he wants high work rate in the central midfield why does he continue to use Arteta?
So a Torino goalkeeper who had a game on Sunday, and a game at the weekend, just happened to be in a random bar in London on a Tuesday night, and overheard the same guy who claims to have footballers here, there and everywhere. K den.
I'd really like to see Chambers at DM if we had another versatile defender.
Original post by ArsenalWenger
Unbeaten in the league :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well once you start being "austere" with money just because you built a stadium and ended up with lots of debt, the "austere" attitude continues even if you no longer have the debt :wink:

Latest