The Student Room Group

Servicing - genuine or aftermarket???

Reply 1
Sump washer is a brass or copper washer that you replace when you refit the sump plug.
The idea is it compresses like a gasket and stops the sump leaking from around the drain plug. You can re-use them once or twice if you're a cheapskate but they are only pennies and it's annoying if you have an oil leak.

Honda Hybrid Engine oil (Green Oil) isn't fully synthetic where the Castrol you showed is fully synthetic hence the price difference. The oil by Honda isn't manufactured by Honda but by ExxonMobil. It doesn't affect anything and I won't be too fussy about sticking to the oil brands on a car like that one.

However the one thing you do need to use back the original is if it is equipped with the Honda CVT transmission then it is critical that you use the Honda CVT fluid as only that brand has the additives for it, else it is a sure way to say goodbye to that gearbox.

In terms of filters, usually even if it is a Honda genuine part more than likely it was made by one of the many parts manufacturers, thus I'd just stick with an OEM one as it isn't going to make any difference. I however would recommend you go for a reputable brand of OEM parts.
Original post by Alfissti
Honda Hybrid Engine oil (Green Oil) isn't fully synthetic where the Castrol you showed is fully synthetic hence the price difference. The oil by Honda isn't manufactured by Honda but by ExxonMobil. It doesn't affect anything and I won't be too fussy about sticking to the oil brands on a car like that one.

However the one thing you do need to use back the original is if it is equipped with the Honda CVT transmission then it is critical that you use the Honda CVT fluid as only that brand has the additives for it, else it is a sure way to say goodbye to that gearbox.

In terms of filters, usually even if it is a Honda genuine part more than likely it was made by one of the many parts manufacturers, thus I'd just stick with an OEM one as it isn't going to make any difference. I however would recommend you go for a reputable brand of OEM parts.

Thanks and sorry, but you lost me at the bolded part

CVT fluid??

I might just ask for the garage to replace the oil and air filters then. I might buy the genuine Honda oil filter, because at £8+VAT that seems cheap(?)

(Also I wouldnt know what's reputable and what isnt)

Apologies for the noob-ness!!!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by de_monies
Thanks and sorry, but you lost me at the bolded part

CVT fluid??

I might just ask for the garage to replace the oil and air filters then. I might buy the genuine Honda oil filter, because at £8+VAT that seems cheap(?)

(Also I wouldnt know what's reputable and what isnt)

Apologies for the noob-ness!!!!!

CVT is the type of gearbox most hybrid Hondas have. Is yours a manual or automatic? If it is a manual then disregard it.

Generally reputable filters are made by Bosch, Mann, AC Delco and Delphi, there are a few other brands that are decent too but these are the ones I stick to if I'm doing self maintenance.
Original post by Alfissti
CVT is the type of gearbox most hybrid Hondas have. Is yours a manual or automatic? If it is a manual then disregard it.

Generally reputable filters are made by Bosch, Mann, AC Delco and Delphi, there are a few other brands that are decent too but these are the ones I stick to if I'm doing self maintenance.

Tis a manual. Last manual made of these!

Ahhh I've heard of those names.

Really wish I knew how to self service,because then I could get branded items and/or genuine items - considering Im paying so much for labour any way!!!!

Ill see what I can find

The Honda own oil filter certainly seems cheap though at £8+VAT
Original post by de_monies
Tis a manual. Last manual made of these!

Ahhh I've heard of those names.

Really wish I knew how to self service,because then I could get branded items and/or genuine items - considering Im paying so much for labour any way!!!!

Ill see what I can find

The Honda own oil filter certainly seems cheap though at £8+VAT

Buy yourself a set of jack-stands, a couple of tools and a service manual.

It isn't that hard.
At the servicing they put cheap engine oil in, only go for a good brand like Castrol.

But it would be so much cheaper doing it yourself, luckily my Dad knows how to do the car himself. We aren't planning on selling on the Honda Civic, just gonna run it to the ground lol.
I actually used to make diesel filters for Delphi. We made both OEM and aftermarket filters, and in almost all cases they use the same internals - one (possibly BMW) used a slightly different filter paper, but that was it. The quality control was also slightly different for OEM filters, but the difference there was a bit of glue on the casing of an aftermarket filter was acceptable. I think the filtration specs were the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending