The Student Room Group

A2 Math help please

If a hemispherical bowl of radius 6cm contains water to depth xcm, the volume of the water is 1/3(pie)x^2*(18-x).water is poured into the bowl at a rate of 3cm^3 per second. find rate at which water level is rising when depth is 2cm.

I know i need to find dx/dv, but how ?
Reply 1
Original post by ADotCross
If a hemispherical bowl of radius 6cm contains water to depth xcm, the volume of the water is 1/3(pie)x^2*(18-x).water is poured into the bowl at a rate of 3cm^3 per second. find rate at which water level is rising when depth is 2cm.

I know i need to find dx/dv, but how ?

You basically need to relate dx/dt to dV/dt using the chain rule - this will involve dV/dx.
You are given that the volume of water is 1/3(pi)x^2*(18-x) you can find the derivative of this, dV/dx. You need dx/dV, what do you think you should do to find this?
Reply 3
Original post by Protoxylic
You are given that the volume of water is 1/3(pi)x^2*(18-x) you can find the derivative of this, dV/dx. You need dx/dV, what do you think you should do to find this?

Would I find the derivative of Hemispherical which is then (4/6)(pi)r^2
Would that be dx/dv ?
Reply 4
Would that be dx/dv ?

Where did you get that expression from?

You're given V in terms of x, so what is dV/dx?

You're told what dV/dt is and you need to find dx/dt using the chain rule.
Original post by davros

Read, you are given volume in terms of X (the water level). You can find dV/dx and inverse what you get to find dx/dV.
Would that be dx/dv ?

Essentially, find your derivative dV/dx. You can find dx/dV by finding the inverse of dV/dx which is 1/[dV/dx].
Reply 7
Read, you are given volume in terms of X (the water level). You can find dV/dx and inverse what you get to find dx/dV.

Did you mean to quote me or the OP in the last post? I'm not sure whether I'd misread something or pointed the OP in the wrong direction :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by davros

Dv/Dx is the derivative of the volume of water which is = (pi)(12x-x^2) ?

In addition to that I would have to find dv/dx = dv/dt . dx/dv ?
Original post by davros
Did you mean to quote me or the OP in the last post? I'm not sure whether I'd misread something or pointed the OP in the wrong direction :smile:

Oh, I read your reply thinking it was a reply to me since I just refreshed the page and had a notification. I thought you questioned where I had got the expression from.
Reply 10
Dv/Dx is the derivative of the volume of water which is = (pi)(12x-x^2) ?

In addition to that I would have to find dv/dx = dv/dt . dx/dv ?

No, your final line doesn't make sense!

You mean dv/dt = (dv/dx) . (dx/dt) and you know (or can work out) some of the info from what's given in the question.
Reply 11
Original post by davros

Was answering the other person's question. I've got two sheets of paper doing what you and the other person's requested and, seeing where to go next with the question with you guys help
Reply 12
Oh, I read your reply thinking it was a reply to me since I just refreshed the page and had a notification. I thought you questioned where I had got the expression from.

would it be Dv/Dx . Dx/Dt

so dv/dx = 1/(pi)(12x-x^2)

dx/dt = 3

Is that the answer if i multiply them both together ?

which gives 3/20(pi) ?

dx/dt = 3

which gives 3/20(pi) ?

No

3 is the rate of change of volume, not height
Reply 14
Original post by TenOfThem
No

3 is the rate of change of volume, not height

How do I find dx/dt ?
How do I find dx/dt ?

dvdt=dvdx×dxdt\dfrac{dv}{dt} = \dfrac{dv}{dx} \times \dfrac{dx}{dt}

I though that you knew this
Reply 16
I'm going to continue with this later, been stressing over one question for ages and I'm getting frustrated, because I'm not understanding this new topic yet.
Reply 17
I'm going to continue with this later, been stressing over one question for ages and I'm getting frustrated, because I'm not understanding this new topic yet.

Which bit of this is "new" to you? Have you encountered the chain rule before, or are you having trouble applying it to this particular physical situation?
Reply 18
Original post by davros
Which bit of this is "new" to you? Have you encountered the chain rule before, or are you having trouble applying it to this particular physical situation?

I can do simple chain rule, but applying it seems all confusing.
Reply 19
Original post by davros

dx/dt = 3

which gives 3/20(pi) ?

Well, thank you for your help. I asked a teacher and the answer was 3/20(pi) but I just wrote the function for 3 before (as you can see in the quote) wrong as it should had been dv/dt=3.

I appreciate everyone's input to help me achieve the answer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest