The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Davelittle
Is it better to do a spring week in your first or second year of uni?

I'm not really sure I'll have enough time to make a decision, research the positions I'm applying for and make a decent application in time.

2015 Spring Weeks are for those graduating in 2017, I'm afraid. If that's you.. You don't really have a choice.
Original post by President M.E.
Is asset management FO?

Within an investment banking context, front office roles are ones which generate revenue.
Original post by Davelittle
Is it better to do a spring week in your first or second year of uni?

I'm not really sure I'll have enough time to make a decision, research the positions I'm applying for and make a decent application in time.

If you are on a 4 year course apply in the 2nd year. If you are on a 3 year course apply during first year.

Don't overly stress about spring weeks. I know quite a few clueless people who have found their way into spring weeks. That said, draw from a nice range of activities during university and have solid academic credentials. Key thing is applying in time (end of Oct), with a CV which is well presented.
Reply 943
Original post by Noble.
Not particularly. I'd rather be at one of the bigger banks (at least, at the start) and I'm quite a fan of Canary Wharf so one of CS/JPM/MS would be preferable I suppose :smile:

Yeah Canary Wharf would be a fantastic spot to work in. Are you trying for Jane Street again BTW?
Original post by CD315
Yeah Canary Wharf would be a fantastic spot to work in. Are you trying for Jane Street again BTW?

Don't know yet. I'm going away on Sunday for a week so there'd be little point in making a decision now (last year they were incredibly quick with getting back to me an arranging a phone interview). It is quite a fun process, but I'd much rather it was done in person than over the phone.
Reply 945
Original post by Noble.
Don't know yet. I'm going away on Sunday for a week so there'd be little point in making a decision now (last year they were incredibly quick with getting back to me an arranging a phone interview). It is quite a fun process, but I'd much rather it was done in person than over the phone.

I see. Anyone I've spoken to who's applied to Jane Street said it was worth it just for the experience of the interview process. I think I'll do it just for that reason!
Original post by CD315
I see. Anyone I've spoken to who's applied to Jane Street said it was worth it just for the experience of the interview process. I think I'll do it just for that reason!

If you're yet to start university you may want to read ahead to first year probablity if you haven't already. Most of the 2nd/3rd/4th stage is entirely first year probability (and brainteasers).
Reply 947
Original post by Noble.
If you're yet to start university you may want to read ahead to first year probablity if you haven't already. Most of the 2nd/3rd/4th stage is entirely first year probability (and brainteasers).

All in your head whilst on the phone? Wow haha.
Original post by CD315
All in your head whilst on the phone? Wow haha.

The phone part of it is easily the worst aspect, and it'd be better in person. Some questions you are encouraged to use paper (in the later stages of the process), the problem is it becomes so awkward trying to quickly work out the answer on paper while someone is sat waiting on the other end of the phone. It isn't like an Oxbridge interview where there's to and fro, if you want to easily progress to the next stage all the person at the other end of the phone will be doing is saying "Ok. [next question]" rinse and repeat :lol:

If you get stuck, there is a certain level of support (especially in the first two stages) - but after that you're pretty much on your own (but it does depend on who you get). I got rejected from one of the last stages (the one before you go to their offices) because I couldn't do one question (out of about eight or nine) - he'd keep bringing us back to the one question I couldn't do (it wasn't a difficult question, it was pretty obvious once the interview was over, but I was drawing a blank while on the phone).
Is there a 'stalker' page where we can update where we've applied to and write the outcome etc? With dates and stuff
Reply 950
Original post by Noble.
The phone part of it is easily the worst aspect, and it'd be better in person. Some questions you are encouraged to use paper (in the later stages of the process), the problem is it becomes so awkward trying to quickly work out the answer on paper while someone is sat waiting on the other end of the phone. It isn't like an Oxbridge interview where there's to and fro, if you want to easily progress to the next stage all the person at the other end of the phone will be doing is saying "Ok. [next question]" rinse and repeat :lol:

If you get stuck, there is a certain level of support (especially in the first two stages) - but after that you're pretty much on your own (but it does depend on who you get). I got rejected from one of the last stages (the one before you go to their offices) because I couldn't do one question (out of about eight or nine) - he'd keep bringing us back to the one question I couldn't do (it wasn't a difficult question, it was pretty obvious once the interview was over, but I was drawing a blank while on the phone).

That's unbelievable. I guess now you're in second year it might be a bit easier though? Worth trying I think - if you got an offer it would certainly be worth it.

Do you know of anyone who got through?
Original post by CD315
That's unbelievable. I guess now you're in second year it might be a bit easier though? Worth trying I think - if you got an offer it would certainly be worth it.

Do you know of anyone who got through?

(I'm in my third year now, or about to go into my third year)

I don't think it would be easier really. The questions aren't really that complicated for a maths undergrad, it's the other factors (being on the phone) and the fact you need to be near perfect to progress that makes it difficult. I might give it another go, but no, I don't know of anyone who has got through (I don't even know of someone who got to the same stage that I did) - but then again I only know a few people who have tried.
Reply 952
Original post by Noble.
(I'm in my third year now, or about to go into my third year)

I don't think it would be easier really. The questions aren't really that complicated for a maths undergrad, it's the other factors (being on the phone) and the fact you need to be near perfect to progress that makes it difficult. I might give it another go, but no, I don't know of anyone who has got through (I don't even know of someone who got to the same stage that I did) - but then again I only know a few people who have tried.

Ah, that's what I meant :wink:

No worries, I'll be watching out to see if you do or not :smile:
Original post by justanothergirl4
Is there a 'stalker' page where we can update where we've applied to and write the outcome etc? With dates and stuff

There isn't one as of yet, but I might be considering to make one, once I've moved back into my house for university and settled in, so probably by next week. If you don't want to wait that long then you could be the creator of the thread for it. Might take a lot of effort to update it though.
Original post by Anonynous
2015 Spring Weeks are for those graduating in 2017, I'm afraid. If that's you.. You don't really have a choice.

Original post by Tomatochuckers
If you are on a 4 year course apply in the 2nd year. If you are on a 3 year course apply during first year.

Don't overly stress about spring weeks. I know quite a few clueless people who have found their way into spring weeks. That said, draw from a nice range of activities during university and have solid academic credentials. Key thing is applying in time (end of Oct), with a CV which is well presented.

So this is the only spring week I can actually apply to?
Original post by MathsNerd1
There isn't one as of yet, but I might be considering to make one, once I've moved back into my house for university and settled in, so probably by next week. If you don't want to wait that long then you could be the creator of the thread for it. Might take a lot of effort to update it though.

I'll wait :teehee:

Thank you m'dear :smile:
Reply 956
something I don't understand: the spring insight weeks are supposed to provide experience and help get a summer internship in IB, right? However, on the Rotschild website, the deadline (or is it the start of the application process -doesn't change the pb) posted for the summer position 2015 is 16 November 2014 while the spring insight week is 28 December 2014. How can you apply for the summer position if you havn't completed the spring insight yet? Moreover, how can you apply to the summer before the application process is done for the spring.

http://www.rothschild.com/careers/europe/key_dates/
Reply 957
Is it bad that I've basically repeated in my cover letter what I've written in the competency question in the application? This is for RBS in particular, but I guess I'm asking for the rest too.
Original post by CD315
Is it bad that I've basically repeated in my cover letter what I've written in the competency question in the application? This is for RBS in particular, but I guess I'm asking for the rest too.

It's not a big deal, as long as it isn't word for word. You're still essentially justifying your competencies, although having various examples would be seen in a more positive light.
Reply 959
Original post by Anonynous
It's not a big deal, as long as it isn't word for word. You're still essentially justifying your competencies, although having various examples would be seen in a more positive light.

Mentioned the same awards and values etc :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending