The Student Room Group

illusionz' ICF blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by illusionz
I improvised!

****ing hell mate, using the bench? Lol

You gotta do what you gotta do I guess
So. Today. Odd session. Was pretty tired after work and semi cba, but dragged myself there anyway.

Deadlift
60x5
100x5
130x3
150x3
170x3
190x2
210x1
227.5x1 PB
Video failed. Sadface. Form was pretty ****ing terrible though.
Kinda pissed off at myself letting greed get the best of me and going for a PB (dat 500 lbs deadlift) when I knew I wasn't 100% - tired and not fully recovered from 4 days ago. Lockout was a lot better than 225 but the initial half of the lift had much back rounding. Bad illusionz.
200x1
180x2, 1

DB OHP
30s 3x3, 2
28s x 5 (paused)
Figured months of increasing reps on 28s hasn't helped me break into the 30s for 5 reps so just doing to do low reps for 30s and build up that way. I just need to shift the heavier weight I think. Will try 5x3 next time.

Incline DB Press
30x 4x6

Chin ups
BW x 6, 6, 6, 5

Home. Quite a minimal session today, but what I did was heavy and taxing.
nice squat form, ridiculous walkout too
lad lad lad
Back from band camp :redface: Turns out I really should leave arguing with idiots to cucumber.

Not trained as much as I'd like this past week - hungover friday then up to london for the weekend as in process of moving. Managed to get a trial at a fitness first, mediocre gym but got a session in. As didn't have gym stuff with me in london was a bit awkward training in trackies which are a bit too tight now... Also went out and bought some chucks for squats/DLs so I can learn in the same shoes I'd use when I get round to doing a comp. Did a bit of everything as was only session in 5 days or so. From memory

Back squats, first time in a squat rack yo
Don't remember exactly how many reps I did on each weight but did something along the lines of
60x5
100x5
120x3-5 can't remember
130x?
140x?
150x?
160x1 PB was easy so went for another 10kg as I had been doing
1702xf
Failed first one leaning too far forwards at the bottom, second one just couldn't get up from the hole. My squat form is quite slow and almost a paused squat. Definitely something to work on when it comes to maxing.

Regardless, pleased with 160 in my first attempt at squatting without having to unrack from a bench and walk back like 2 metres. Also beltless (as are all my lifts as currently don't own a belt lol).

Bench - the bench was awful and soft so my tensed back just sank into it. I didn't like it. Won't be joining them anyway.
Smallest weight was 2.5kg (**** gym) so had to do 85 and 80, no 87.5 and didn't attempt 90 as no spotter.
Did 5 sets of 4-5 on 85/80.

Deadlifts - no chalk or straps
170 3x4
This was the most I could do with no chalk or straps. Not too bad.

OHP - I <3 power racks
50x5
55x5
55x5
50x5
50x5
Tired from bench so didn't go higher. 2nd set of 55 was grindyyyyyy. Am sure this will progress once I start training the movement.

Also did some chins, 4 sets of 7-5 from memory, as well as some weighted dips with a belt. +20kg but was hard as was already tired.

Can't remember if I did more but that's the important stuff regardless. Bring on the squats mofos.

Also trained weds back home. Did another random session as had to train at peak time so was a struggle getting on equipment.

Bench
87.5 4+spotter stole my gains
87.5 4+assisted
85 4+assisted

Pull downs - stuff, cant remember

BB rows
80 4x10
Was working in with some guys so just kept it at an easy weight and did volume

Deadlifts (lol at the end)
warmups
180 x 6, 5

Gonna do arms tomorrow as last session with my mate before I go up to London for good. Then will join a proper gym - already scouted a fair few. Settled on gymbox in Farringdon if anyone has heard of it. Looks well equipped with 1 power cage, 1 squat rack, 2 reinforced lifting platforms, flat/inc/dec bench as well as adjustable benches for DB work. 2x each DB from 1-65kg. Should be good.
Oh lord dat squat

Your press will jump up quickly too :smile:

I want vids to couch critique :tongue:

Awesome going buddy! But leave the destruction of idiots to moi, I have time to put them in their place with my lack of exercise :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
hahaha ****ing sick dude, 160 squat your first time in a squat rack :eek3:
It's unfair how naturally gifted you are at lifting :redface:
Original post by Jtking3000
It's unfair how naturally gifted you are at lifting :redface:

don't blast his hard work :adore:
random session today, just went to train with my gym buddy for the last time before I move to london. Did some shoulder work and misc arm stuff.

Only stuff of note was shoulders:

28s x 5
30s x 3, 3, 2
28s x 5

Still struggling to progress to 30s. Will be good to have access to a power rack and do standing press.
Now cut

Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tehforum
Now cut

I'm going to. Want to get down to probably 88ish, from 92-3ish. That's entirely guesswork - I might look lean at lower or higher though. Thinking longer term, I think I want to stay within cutting distance of U90 from a competing point of view.

I've always said in my head I will cut once I move to london and am in control of every meal I eat.
I'm going to. Want to get down to probably 88ish, from 92-3ish. That's entirely guesswork - I might look lean at lower or higher though. Thinking longer term, I think I want to stay within cutting distance of U90 from a competing point of view.

I've always said in my head I will cut once I move to london and am in control of every meal I eat.

See edit

5kg is easy! 2kg+ is just water weight.
Original post by tehforum
See edit

5kg is easy! 2kg+ is just water weight.

Which you gain back upon resuming normal eating...
Original post by In One Ear
Which you gain back upon resuming normal eating...

Yea but who cares what you weigh after weigh in>
Original post by Motorbiker

I think IOE and tehforum were talking about different things - cutting for looks/general weight and cutting to meet comp weight.

I need to get on the lookout for casual comps in London. I'm sure there must be plenty.

Oh he means for just competing. I thought he was on about 5kg is easy to cut as Illusionz said we wanted to drop roughly 5kg down to 88kg ish.
I think IOE and tehforum were talking about different things - cutting for looks/general weight and cutting to meet comp weight.

I need to get on the lookout for casual comps in London. I'm sure there must be plenty.

Novice u90kg strongman? Yea, probably.
Novice u90kg strongman? Yea, probably.

Looking at powerlifting tbh. Not done any in the way of strongman training and I think powerlifting would suit my strong legs/proportionately weak arms build.
First session in new gym. Seems good. All the barbells are thinner than at my old gym but that might mean that my old gym had a 32mm barbell and these are 28. I don't know. Other thing was the knurling comes in further towards the middle so had to have a narrow stance on deadlifts. Will get some tape and tape up the bar to allow it to run up my leg now I know about it.

Squats
60x5
100x5
120x3
140x4
130x4, 5, 5, 5

4th rep of 140 was a bit dodgy as got too far forwards, so didn't do a 5th although I could have done one I think. Same with 4thg rep of first set of 130. After that it was fine though, what I did was probably at least as hard as 130 for 5x5 so pretty pleased.

Deadlift
Narrower bar than I'm used to plus close knurling threw me a bit. Had a narrow stance so as a result was taller. Plus tired from squats.
60x5
100x5
120x5
140x3
160x3
180x3
200x3 grip failed lols
200x2 (strapped)

Bench
20x10
45x5
60x5
85x5
80x5, 5, 5
60x10, 10

Bicep/tricep work.

Decent session for my first one in a while.

Quick Reply

Latest