The Student Room Group

Need Psychology Help? (AQA A)

Hey! I recently finished my A Levels and I'm taking a gap year before uni. I decided that maybe it would be nice to help any psychology students who need some advice since I've got time on my hands now.

I got an A* and I did a lot of my revision using the computer, so I have loads of essay plans, powerpoints etc. for anyone who wants them. I'll be most helpful with the A2 stuff because it's been a while since I've gone over the AS content but I'm sure I'll still be able to give some advice. Having done A2, I know I would have done many things differently when it came to revising AS :smile:

I did the AQA A psychology course so I'll only be able to help with this one. The units I did were:

Unit One: cognitive (memory), developmental (attachment) and research methods.
Unit Two: biological (stress), social (conformity/obedience) and psychopathology (abnormality).
Unit Three: relationships, aggression and eating behaviour.
Unit Four: schizophrenia, addiction and research methods.

So yeah, if I can help anyone then I'd be happy to :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey I'm currently doing psychology as a mature student but doing it in one year! Any help ie essay plans revision notes you wouldn't mind sharing would be amazing! What revision methods did you use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please help me out that would be great send me a pm message

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sammidrake
Hey! I recently finished my A Levels and I'm taking a gap year before uni. I decided that maybe it would be nice to help any psychology students who need some advice since I've got time on my hands now.

I got an A* and I did a lot of my revision using the computer, so I have loads of essay plans, powerpoints etc. for anyone who wants them. I'll be most helpful with the A2 stuff because it's been a while since I've gone over the AS content but I'm sure I'll still be able to give some advice. Having done A2, I know I would have done many things differently when it came to revising AS :smile:

I did the AQA A psychology course so I'll only be able to help with this one. The units I did were:

Unit Two: biological (stress), social (conformity/obedience) and psychopathology (abnormality).

Hi, I'm on a gap year and retaking some exams and for psychology I'm aiming for a A*, I only did bad on unit 4 which I got a D in, which brought my grade down to a B overall because I didn't really understand much of it, do you have any good resources or advise for it, because I'm doing the same topics as you :smile:
Reply 4
heyhey! am doing the Exact same topics you did :u:. I did terrriblyyyyyy in AS and am retaking psya1. any tips for hitting top grades? Essay structure? Thankk youu :biggrin:
Hello I have just started AS psychology. What textbooks did you use?
Reply 6
hey, i have just started 6th form and would be extremely grateful if i could pinch some of your stuff :smile:)
Okay, I'm currently uploading some resources to Student Room and I'll post links later. I'll also do a big post later too with tips, revision methods etc. as most of you have asked similar questions :smile: Most of the stuff I have is A2 stuff though but I'll see if I can find anything helpful from AS as well :smile: If anyone has any requests for a specific double page spread that they're struggling with then let me know because I'm not going to be able to upload everything :smile:

Original post by Davalla
Out of curiosity; are you charging for your resources? :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I'm not charging - I made loads of stuff, especially at A2, so I thought I might as well use it to help other people :smile:

Original post by Daisymaay
Hello I have just started AS psychology. What textbooks did you use?

The only textbooks I really used were the course 'Complete Companions'. I didn't really do any wider reading - the only time when I'd look at other sources would be if I didn't understand or if I didn't like the AO2 points given in the textbook :smile: For the eating topic, a lot of the studies I learned weren't in the textbooks though - my teacher found some more memorable ones which I may be able to put up later :smile:

Ah, addiction's a ***** but I like how the questions are often structured as scenarios. For the explanations of addiction, I mostly made tables and learned from them. I'll upload some stuff on addiction to show you because I can't really explain it :smile:
[QUOTE="sammidrake;50396245"]Hey! I recently finished my A Levels and I'm taking a gap year before uni. I decided that maybe it would be nice to help any psychology students who need some advice since I've got time on my hands now.

So yeah, if I can help anyone then I'd be happy to :smile:[/QUOTE

Could I get some notes as well please, at the moment I'm learning approaches
Reply 9
Currently doing AS psychology, would love some help. I am aiming for 'A' grade at the end of the course.
(edited 9 years ago)

No I'm not charging - I made loads of stuff, especially at A2, so I thought I might as well use it to help other people :smile:

Ah cool, I've seen a few threads where past students were selling their resources for hefty fees, so you are doing a nice thing :yy:

If you are willing; I'd appreciated a copy of units three and four in particular. I don't know if you have posted them already, but much appreciated.
Reply 11
I'm just starting A2, doing relationships, eating behaviour, schizophrenia, and research methods as well so i'd love to see notes you made on those!
Same, I'm thinking of retaking A2 Psychology! :frown:
Can you please tell me your revision methods e.g-memorising essays/flash cards/ mind maps etc etc... ? Thank you very much! ! :smile:
Hey, just started AS Psychology and can't really get my head round the research methods as the terminology is really difficult to understand... Just wondering do you have any notes that make it more simple to understand

Thanks

Hi, I am also going to do the same topics as you've done, it'd be very helpful if you could share resources. we're doing unit four first:smile: Thankyou so much for helping out!
Hey guys! Sorry it's taken a while to reply - I didn't expect so many responses!

I have had a look through the resources I have and unfortunately I have a load for A2 and barely any for AS. It's pretty clear why I did better in my second year than my first :P So for AS students I can only really give you advice on exam technique, essay writing etc.

I've uploaded a load of A2 stuff as study resources so I'll post the links below. If you still have any requests for topics which haven't been uploaded then let me know. I've tried to cover every A2 unit that I've done. I've uploaded a mixture of different things - there are some essay plans (or building blocks as I call them), example essays, powerpoints, tables and regular notes. But yeah, if there's a double page spread that you'll particularly stuck on then let me know and I'll find something for you :smile:

AS STUFF

Research methods revision notes

A2 STUFF

Relationships

Parental investment - example essay
Powerpoint of essay plans
Type test
(I also have Evernote files for all of the topics. If you would like this, send me your email address and I'll try to make it accessible to you)

Aggression:

Social learning theory - example essay
Neural and hormonal mechanisms - example IDA points
Type test
(I also have Evernote files for all of the topics (except the warfare part of the group displays topic). If you would like this, send me your email address and I'll try to make it accessible to you)

Eating:

Attitudes to food and eating behaviour - building block
Explanations for the success and failure of dieting - building block
Neural and hormonal mechanisms in eating behaviour - building block
Evolutionary explanations for food preferences - building block
Evolutionary explanations of food preferences - example essay
Type test
(I also have Evernote files for the evolutionary explanations topic. If you would like this, send me your email address and I'll try to make it accessible to you)

Schizophrenia:

Psychodynamic explanation - building block
Socio-cultural factors - building block
(I also have Evernote files for all of the topics. If you would like this, send me your email address and I'll try to make it accessible to you)

Addiction:

Biological explanations - table
Cognitive explanations - table
Learning explanations - table
Risk factors - table
Media influences - building block
Theory of planned behaviour - building block
Interventions - powerpoint
(I also have Evernote files for the risk factor topic. If you would like this, send me your email address and I'll try to make it accessible to you)

Research Methods:

Designing a questionnaire/interview - checklist
Designing an experiment/correlational analysis - checklist
Designing an observation/content analysis - checklist

General Stuff:

Powerpoint - example IDA paragraphs
Building block template (12 marks) - this was my main revision method. This is basically a template for an essay plan - you write your main content in the right hand column and then a key word to help you remember the point in the left. I found it really helpful to organise each topic like this. Planning every single possible essay in advance is honestly the best way to tackle both AS and A2 - with AS, although the questions are smaller, if you plan a twelve mark essay for every double page spread, you are guaranteed to have the information to answer any question, whether it's four marks or twelve. Don't try to learn the whole textbook like I did at first XD

And also - for people who would maybe like to get an A*. I heard that this was the case for getting an A* in fine art so it's probably the same for all subjects. There is no specific grade boundary for the A* because it's not that straightforward. In order to get one you have to have done better in A2 than AS, and at A2 you need to get ninety per cent or higher. That's what we were told for art so I think it's the same for A*s in general. For AS psychology I got a B and I thought it'd be impossible for me to get the A* because I wouldn't be able to get the UMS from my A2. But I did so I think it's all about getting that high percentage at A2. Obviously at AS as well though :smile:

So from these files, it's probably pretty clear how I revised. The building blocks method was honestly the best thing I did though - I made these as I went along and then by the time the exam period started, I had essay plans for every topic and I had the information readily condensed so I could write example essays, make Evernote files, revision cards etc. I also made a notebook which basically had every single essay plan in. I personally learn by rewriting information but it could be different for other people :smile: I'd honestly recommend writing all the essays in advance though - for a twenty four mark essay, you'll only have thirty minutes to write it in the exam. During this time, most people can write between 600-700 words, so I found it really helpful to write all the essays and condense them to make sure they were below the word limit. That way I'd know I could fit it all in during the exam, and I was learning the content at the same time as well :smile:

I haven't uploaded all of my building blocks because firstly, there's too many. I've done one for every double page spread so it would take a lot of uploading. But also because it'll be a lot more beneficial and you'll learn more if you make them yourself. Then you're learning information that you've selected - that you've gone through - rather than what someone else has given you. My teacher made building blocks for all the topics herself and gave them to us, but I preferred to make my own because then I was more familiar with them. However if there's a topic which you're struggling with and you'd like a building block for it to help, let me know :smile:

Original post by GentleRainAimie
Hey, just started AS Psychology and can't really get my head round the research methods as the terminology is really difficult to understand... Just wondering do you have any notes that make it more simple to understand

Thanks

If you're struggling with the 'Complete Companion', I'd recommend maybe this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Level-Psychology-Complete-Revision-Practice/dp/1847621406/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=as+psychology+revision

At AS I was given this by one of my teachers and I never really used it. However when I was studying research methods at A2, I looked through the research methods section of this book to make my notes as detailed as possible and it's easier to understand but it still has all the information that you'll find in the textbook. Like I said above, I have barely any good notes on the computer that I can upload unfortunately because A2 was when I started really figuring out how I learn best and revising as I went along :smile:

Original post by amanbadesha_
Hi, I am also going to do the same topics as you've done, it'd be very helpful if you could share resources. we're doing unit four first:smile: Thankyou so much for helping out!

I hope some of the links above are useful. One thing I'd say about learning unit four first - that's what we did and there's nothing wrong with it. But after we'd learned unit three with all the IDA points and I then went back to revise unit four, I found that a lot of my essay plans now weren't as good as my unit three ones because my essay writing had come along so much. So I'd recommend maybe trying to teach yourself the IDA points whilst you're learning unit four so you can incorporate them into your unit four essay plans, or give yourself time to go back and refine your plans once you've done unit three. Although you don't need IDA points like reductionism, determinism etc. in unit four, they really are very good evaluation points which would be worth including in unit four to make your essays more sophisticated :smile:

Original post by QueenSI
heyhey! am doing the Exact same topics you did :u:. I did terrriblyyyyyy in AS and am retaking psya1. any tips for hitting top grades? Essay structure? Thankk youu :biggrin:

To hit top grades, I really think it's just about learning what the examiners expect of you for each question. Knowing what they want from you for a four mark one and what they want for a twenty four mark question. The best way to really do this is do practice papers and look at the mark schemes so you learn how much detail you have to include for the different questions.

In terms of essay structure, obviously you need a mixture of AO1 and AO2 points. For a twelve mark question, you need about two AO1 paragraphs and three/four AO2. For twenty four mark questions, just double this - four AO1, and about seven/eight AO2. Sometimes though, the exam paper will state that it wants different proportions of AO1 and AO2 though. For example, a classic twenty four mark question will ask for '(8 + 16 marks)', meaning eight marks of AO1 and sixteen marks of AO2. However sometimes this may be different - for example, one of the questions in my exam asked for '(4+16 marks)' so you alter your answer accordingly - giving less AO1. It's always important to look at how many marks the questions are worth.

AO1 points are basically just description - talking about a theory or explanation. Then AO2's evaluating this - giving support for it or being critical. Examiners prefer it if you mix up your points a bit - so rather than doing all your AO1s and then all your AO2s, if some of your AO2s respond to your first AO1 paragraph and some to your second, don't be afraid to integrate your AO1 paragraphs into the essay more. So you could do a structure like AO1, AO2, AO2, AO1, AO2, AO2. It's the same for IDA points as well - try not to leave them until the end of the essay like an afterthought. Try to implement them in amongst the essay with other AO2 points.

Obviously examiners are very particular how you structure AO2 points as well and it's very easy to write a point wrong so it can only be counted as an AO1. If you look through some of my example essays above, you'll see that my points are structured with a 'point, evidence, explain, link' structure. It's the explain and link part which turns an AO1 into an AO2 so it's very important that you write your paragraphs right. Also don't go into too much detail about studies - it's more important to talk about what they show about the topic you are evaluating rather than what happened. And don't worry about remembering dates of studies either unless you really want to - I never tried to learn them and I still got an A* so you could save yourself a lot of stress by just ignoring them XD

If you have any other question then let me know - this is everything I could think of off the top of my head XD
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
@sammidrake Thank you for this, It's a shame you have to pay to download files on studentroom.

Anyway would you recommend getting the 'Complete Companion' textbook for AS psychology, even if our teacher doesn't provide it?

Also you mentioned the app Evernote, what do you use it for specifically? I use the a app called Anki for making flashcards which I type out on my computer and test myself on my android phone. The android app is free (AnkiDroid), and the iOS application costs quite a lot.
Original post by Naga1
@sammidrake Thank you for this, It's a shame you have to pay to download files on studentroom.

Anyway would you recommend getting the 'Complete Companion' textbook for AS psychology, even if our teacher doesn't provide it?

Also you mentioned the app Evernote, what do you use it for specifically? I use the a app called Anki for making flashcards which I type out on my computer and test myself on my android phone. The android app is free (AnkiDroid), and the iOS application costs quite a lot.

Really? I'm pretty sure you don't need to pay - I've downloaded things before and have never had an issue. The files I've uploaded seem ready to download without payment. If it's an issue for some people though I can try to find another way to upload them. I can always put them on Get Revising or something :smile:

Yeah, I would definitely recommend it. It's the main course textbook and covers everything that could come up. It's pretty clear and easy to understand, except the occasional study or evaluation point which may need a little research if it's worded weirdly. But it's the only book that I really used for both AS and A2 so I don't know why it wouldn't be provided for you o.O

Evernote sounds pretty similar to that one - it's just a free app where you can write notes. I've found it pretty useful and you can share notes with other people as well. But yeah, it's a pretty simple app really :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Another user has said that they've been asked to pay as well so I'm going to upload the files to Get Revising instead. I'll post links in a bit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending