The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by GManTheGMan
There's already a Scottish Civil Service. I don't think it would have made too much difference.

Would have been plenty of opportunities in Scot DWP and Scot HMRC and Scot Treasury...
Original post by GManTheGMan
There's already a Scottish Civil Service. I don't think it would have made too much difference.

Yeah but it's tiny. They'd have to create new departments for welfare and defence as well as a treasury and a way to collect all the income tax, not to mention a whole host of smaller departments (is e.g. sport and culture devolved at the moment?).

Regardless this is obviously all quite academic unless devo max brings some of these things about.
They probably would have absorbed some of the scottish ukg departments (like the one I'm in) so overall head count probably would not have changed much. Probably.
Evening everyone, thought I'd drop a post as I'm one of you guys now!

After deliberating whether to apply for a couple of weeks, I finally bit the bullet, registered and did all the online tests. For myself, I think / hope they were OK. Personally I just jumped straight in so didn't have any real expectations - I actually thought the self-assessed part was the test, thought I'd passed, and then was doubly confused when I found out there was another test which also wasn't the real thing!

Wasn't a big fan of the competancy thing tbh - it felt quite long, and actually the way the questions are worded, (without having read the competancies) it's usually very obvious what you should be agreeing with / disagreeing with. I was quite honest - because I'm currently in a different industry and want to make sure I'm a good fit - but I can't imagine many people failing it unless they're faulteringly honest or the markers are nitpicking. Could be wrong though
Who's applied for Commercial/Finance streams? Anyone? Heard back from your competency tests?
Original post by Dam Its Daquan
Evening everyone, thought I'd drop a post as I'm one of you guys now!

After deliberating whether to apply for a couple of weeks, I finally bit the bullet, registered and did all the online tests. For myself, I think / hope they were OK. Personally I just jumped straight in so didn't have any real expectations - I actually thought the self-assessed part was the test, thought I'd passed, and then was doubly confused when I found out there was another test which also wasn't the real thing!

Wasn't a big fan of the competancy thing tbh - it felt quite long, and actually the way the questions are worded, (without having read the competancies) it's usually very obvious what you should be agreeing with / disagreeing with. I was quite honest - because I'm currently in a different industry and want to make sure I'm a good fit - but I can't imagine many people failing it unless they're faulteringly honest or the markers are nitpicking. Could be wrong though

I couldn't agree any with you more. Competency questions aim to assess whether our personality traits matched their working style.
Reply 166
Hi people, I have a question about applying on the Fast Track with a disability. I have dyslexia and was considering disclosing this, but I'm worried this will harm my chances of passing the application. I know they 'officially' claim to support applicants with a disability - so much so as to offer the Guaranteed Interview Scheme - but I can't help but think that a condition like dyslexia will be negatively viewed upon in a field that relies upon a lot of written and reading work :erm:
Original post by skay
Hi people, I have a question about applying on the Fast Track with a disability. I have dyslexia and was considering disclosing this, but I'm worried this will harm my chances of passing the application. I know they 'officially' claim to support applicants with a disability - so much so as to offer the Guaranteed Interview Scheme - but I can't help but think that a condition like dyslexia will be negatively viewed upon in a field that relies upon a lot of written and reading work :erm:

Please, please, don't be put off from applying. I have a disability and I am applying from within the civil service. I can assure you that it won't harm your chances at all. Disabled people are under-represented in the CS, please consider applying :smile:
Reply 168
Original post by madl24903
Please, please, don't be put off from applying. I have a disability and I am applying from within the civil service. I can assure you that it won't harm your chances at all. Disabled people are under-represented in the CS, please consider applying :smile:

Thank you for assurance. I shall apply with confidence :smile: Although part of me wishes I get to still do the online tests!
Original post by skay
Thank you for assurance. I shall apply with confidence :smile: Although part of me wishes I get to still do the online tests!

Declaring your disability means that you can claim exemption from completing the verbal and numerical reasoning tests.

However, you can choose not to bypass the verbal and numerical tests. Perhaps you can still complete them, if you want to do that, and ask Parity for extended time to do the online tests.
On my form whilst I declared my disability I said that I would do the tests. Even though I know employers shouldn't discriminate I'm always paranoid that they secretly will and so too scared to tell them to extempt me (the forms that I mentioned my disability for job apps I never got to interview whereas the ones I didn't I got through)

I put it down to my own personal paranoia :erm:
I also have dyslexia and have chosen to do the tests rather than go for the guaranteed interview scheme as I wanted to do them so there is nothing stopping you doing the same. You can mention you have it on form but not apply via GIS.
Reply 172
Thanks for all the advice guys. So are the online test scores important for the application overall, or are they only used to the extent of determining whether or not you get to do the 'Analytical fast stream assessment'?

If it's the former, I will do what others have done and declare my disability whilst opting out of GIS.
Original post by skay
Thanks for all the advice guys. So are the online test scores important for the application overall, or are they only used to the extent of determining whether or not you get to do the 'Analytical fast stream assessment'?

If it's the former, I will do what others have done and declare my disability whilst opting out of GIS.

I know that the online tests are used for the sifting process, my disability makes reading large blocks of text really difficult so it was something that I had to work on prior to the real thing. It will be okay :hugs:
Original post by skay

As far as I understand just gets you through the sift, the score later on won't be influenced by the online tests
For the application, can I talk about two different projects within different roles but under the same company? (Analytical position in particular)
Original post by Slowbro93
For the application, can I talk about two different projects within different roles but under the same company? (Analytical position in particular)

I don't see why not. I did a GES placement year and was advised to keep the examples directly relevant to the competencies they have asked for. Given that there are three, you could use an aspect of each project to demonstrate each respective competency, or more than one if you believe you can demonstrate it covered more.

Remember the 300 word limit though.
Reply 177
This is my first time applying to the Fast Stream. I've completed the online assessments for the HR Fast Stream and am waiting for my results. I have a question about the application, for those of you that have completed it before (or are currently completing the application for the Analytical Scheme). What information do you need to give about previous jobs? And do you need to cover your entire employment history, or just the last so many years or jobs? If addresses and salary information are required, I'd really like to start gathering this before my results are ready. Also, how many references are required? I want to make sure I can complete everything in time if I make it to the next step.
I think your best bet is checking the FAQs on the application site and if that doesn't help contact whatever contact details are available (might be parity, might be CSR).
Original post by modzy78
This is my first time applying to the Fast Stream. I've completed the online assessments for the HR Fast Stream and am waiting for my results. I have a question about the application, for those of you that have completed it before (or are currently completing the application for the Analytical Scheme). What information do you need to give about previous jobs? And do you need to cover your entire employment history, or just the last so many years or jobs? If addresses and salary information are required, I'd really like to start gathering this before my results are ready. Also, how many references are required? I want to make sure I can complete everything in time if I make it to the next step.

This is for the analytical application form so not sure if its the same as the HR. For jobs you need: the employer name, address, dates employed, position held and responsibilities. Your salary is just needed for your current/ most recent job. It doesn't say how far back you have to go just says wants details of current/previous employment. For analytical stream you need one academic referee (two if you've done a masters).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending