The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Fantasy Football League 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
i went for costa simply because most others will so if he does good/bad i won't be too far behind.
although di maria at leicester seems like a good shout, however they are a big step up from QPR, especially when you're away to them.

sterling is always a good option, but balotelli is uncertain so he's be a bit of a punt.
adebayor is a no-no for me but if he had an awesome game you'd be laughing.

i'd just conform and go for costa like everybody else - if he doesn't score, most other people aren't gonna gain on you in captaincy anyway

This whole high ownership panic is just *******s. You can't pick a player based on ownership because it is just stupidity. If you think a player will do well, pick him. I always captain the player who I think is most likely to score a lot of points (not going to argue about reliability vs big scores possibility, we all know how it works.) I understand the concept of pick a high ownership player but for every person saying you can't miss out, there is another saying to pick a differential as you can win big.
It is a nice idea to make everyone think they are the fantasy genius for using some tactical choices but in reality this stuff is only useful in GW35 onwards if you are looking to beat 1 person in articular and you are a bit ahead of them. The aim of the game is to get lots of points (or more than others depending on targets) and the best way to do that is to pick who you think will get the most points every week.
Having reread this I do realise that it sounds very ranty and angry at you but really I just hate the fact that so many people consistently suggest picking Costa purely for the ownership. If you want him for the points then just ****ing say so but if it is only about ownership then just don't bother. Away to City is not an easy game and most teams don't score more than 1. Chelsea are very unlikely to score more than 2 and if they do, it is even more unlikely that Costa will be involved in both.
Again, not angry at you (no matter how it sounds) but I just hate the concept almost as much as the "attacking coverage" ****e.
Original post by Lúcio
i went for costa simply because most others will so if he does good/bad i won't be too far behind.
although di maria at leicester seems like a good shout, however they are a big step up from QPR, especially when you're away to them.

sterling is always a good option, but balotelli is uncertain so he's be a bit of a punt.
adebayor is a no-no for me but if he had an awesome game you'd be laughing.

i'd just conform and go for costa like everybody else - if he doesn't score, most other people aren't gonna gain on you in captaincy anyway

Also thanks for the advice. I think United could have a really poor week again (draw at best) because QPR made them look good. Sterling or Balo could be a good bet because West Ham are **** at the back.
I still think Adebayor is a good option because West Brom are just so bad at the back and he is still the focal point of the attack so should score at least once.
its happening..

Captain welbeck.

For glory..

This week will go like a dream, costa fails to score and gets subbed off.. and welbeck nets twice against villa..

*dreaming*
Original post by Alex Doran
This whole high ownership panic is just *******s. You can't pick a player based on ownership because it is just stupidity. If you think a player will do well, pick him. I always captain the player who I think is most likely to score a lot of points (not going to argue about reliability vs big scores possibility, we all know how it works.) I understand the concept of pick a high ownership player but for every person saying you can't miss out, there is another saying to pick a differential as you can win big.
It is a nice idea to make everyone think they are the fantasy genius for using some tactical choices but in reality this stuff is only useful in GW35 onwards if you are looking to beat 1 person in articular and you are a bit ahead of them. The aim of the game is to get lots of points (or more than others depending on targets) and the best way to do that is to pick who you think will get the most points every week.
Having reread this I do realise that it sounds very ranty and angry at you but really I just hate the fact that so many people consistently suggest picking Costa purely for the ownership. If you want him for the points then just ****ing say so but if it is only about ownership then just don't bother. Away to City is not an easy game and most teams don't score more than 1. Chelsea are very unlikely to score more than 2 and if they do, it is even more unlikely that Costa will be involved in both.
Again, not angry at you (no matter how it sounds) but I just hate the concept almost as much as the "attacking coverage" ****e.

i suppose it depends if you're a risk taker or not.
i'm new to this so i'm happy just being in the top half, learning and getting better at it for next season maybe
but regardless, costa will have a great season so i'm sticking with him for now regardless of him playing against city.
add that to the fact that he scored a hattrick last week without playing a full game and why not give him another go?

nah, doesn't seem ranty - i agree that people shouldn't pick a player ONLY for their ownership; that would basically be like playing whatever players somebody else tells you to play, how is it your team if you don't have nay real input?
when i mention ownership it is in addition to his exceptional form and his great partnership with fabregas that will quite possibly help him caterpult chelsea to the title this season

tbh, i'm just scared of not captaining costa and him having another stormer (unlikely as it is since it's against city).

Also thanks for the advice. I think United could have a really poor week again (draw at best) because QPR made them look good. Sterling or Balo could be a good bet because West Ham are **** at the back.
I still think Adebayor is a good option because West Brom are just so bad at the back and he is still the focal point of the attack so should score at least once.

i agree, united won a game and they played well in attack, but it was against the worst team in the league.
leicester have repelled both arsenal and everton this season, giving chelsea a good go too.
anything less than 3 points would be disappointing for united but at the same time, how much of a shock would it actually be?

yeah, sterling/balotelli could both have great games although i'm concerned about our general performance so far this season.
the only good games we have had so far was away to spurs and the first half away to city before their goal.
we have been terrible against villa and ludogrets, and "okay" against soton.

adebayor may have a great week but i'd always be wary of captaining a spurs player.
they're so inconsistent and will just drop points randomly in games you expect them to win (kind of like everton)
that's why the two of them aren't top 4 clubs imo.
I can't see there being many goals in the City/Chelsea game so captaincy is a bit tricky this week. I'd go with Sterling or Di Maria because both of their teams are bound to score at least once, and it's very likely they will be involved in it.

[QUOTE="fallen_acorns;50478065"]so two teams for this week:

1 -

De Gea - Myhill
Chambers - Dier - Clyne - Williams - Wilson
Sterling - Di Maria - Sanchez - Sigurdsson - Chadli
Welbeck - Costa - Pelle

2 -

Fabianski - Myhill
Wilson - Chambers - Hutton - Duff - Clyne
Fabregas - Di maria - Sanchez - Stirling - Larsson
Costa - Welbeck - Pelle[/B

First one is infinitely better.
Original post by Lúcio
i suppose it depends if you're a risk taker or not.
i'm new to this so i'm happy just being in the top half, learning and getting better at it for next season maybe
but regardless, costa will have a great season so i'm sticking with him for now regardless of him playing against city.
add that to the fact that he scored a hattrick last week without playing a full game and why not give him another go?

nah, doesn't seem ranty - i agree that people shouldn't pick a player ONLY for their ownership; that would basically be like playing whatever players somebody else tells you to play, how is it your team if you don't have nay real input?
when i mention ownership it is in addition to his exceptional form and his great partnership with fabregas that will quite possibly help him caterpult chelsea to the title this season

tbh, i'm just scared of not captaining costa and him having another stormer (unlikely as it is since it's against city).

i agree, united won a game and they played well in attack, but it was against the worst team in the league.
leicester have repelled both arsenal and everton this season, giving chelsea a good go too.
anything less than 3 points would be disappointing for united but at the same time, how much of a shock would it actually be?

yeah, sterling/balotelli could both have great games although i'm concerned about our general performance so far this season.
the only good games we have had so far was away to spurs and the first half away to city before their goal.
we have been terrible against villa and ludogrets, and "okay" against soton.

adebayor may have a great week but i'd always be wary of captaining a spurs player.
they're so inconsistent and will just drop points randomly in games you expect them to win (kind of like everton)
that's why the two of them aren't top 4 clubs imo.

Agreed that Spurs drop points randomly but right now I reckon my school team could beat West Brom at home.
Liverpool have been quite poor but you could argue that the only 2 teams that didn't sit back against them looked very shaky defensively and I don't think West Ham are capable of sitting back this season as the fans just don't accept it. Liverpool should get goals but I think West Ham will get one or two as well.
When I was talking about Costa I means only in terms of captaining him. Not having Costa in your team is a very brave move that very few have chosen to make. Captaining him away to City is another matter.
United should struggle to attack as well as against QPR because Leicester will attack United a bit and keep a bit of the ball. The full backs (assuming 4 at the back) will not be able to essentially play as wingers again and the complete lack of balance in the squad will be visible against a team that will at the very least, have a good go.
Agreed that Spurs drop points randomly but right now I reckon my school team could beat West Brom at home.
Liverpool have been quite poor but you could argue that the only 2 teams that didn't sit back against them looked very shaky defensively and I don't think West Ham are capable of sitting back this season as the fans just don't accept it. Liverpool should get goals but I think West Ham will get one or two as well.
When I was talking about Costa I means only in terms of captaining him. Not having Costa in your team is a very brave move that very few have chosen to make. Captaining him away to City is another matter.
United should struggle to attack as well as against QPR because Leicester will attack United a bit and keep a bit of the ball. The full backs (assuming 4 at the back) will not be able to essentially play as wingers again and the complete lack of balance in the squad will be visible against a team that will at the very least, have a good go.

spurs look better this season but still they drew with sunderland which is pretty bad.

definitely, not having costa is a very silly thing to do, even if you have aguero imo since the latter always seems to have injury problems.

yeah, west ham at the back look terrible and we will get better defensively as time goes on
don't see a clean sheet for either team but we should win it; 3-1 i'll say.
will be an interesting weekend though - working saturday until 6 so i'll only see the second half of our late kick off.
at least i'll be able to sit back and enjoy united (hopefully) struggle against leicester and then the city-chelsea face off in the afternoon.

it will be an interesting weekend
Original post by Lúcio
spurs look better this season but still they drew with sunderland which is pretty bad.

definitely, not having costa is a very silly thing to do, even if you have aguero imo since the latter always seems to have injury problems.

yeah, west ham at the back look terrible and we will get better defensively as time goes on
don't see a clean sheet for either team but we should win it; 3-1 i'll say.
will be an interesting weekend though - working saturday until 6 so i'll only see the second half of our late kick off.
at least i'll be able to sit back and enjoy united (hopefully) struggle against leicester and then the city-chelsea face off in the afternoon.

it will be an interesting weekend

Spurs are a decent side but they wont be close to the top 4. They should be a comfortable 6th ahead of Everton but they will not really challenge any top side. I want to get Aguero in but I think I have to wait a bit as he is just so expensive (in 3 GW's I swap Adebayor to Welbeck to free up the money.)
I really don't know what I am doing sport wise this weekend. I got the F1 at about 2ish on Saturday, Warrington rugby at 2:45, Hull City at 3 (which I can't record as is livestream only) and then Liverpool are 5:45. That is too much for 1 day and I just can't prioritise.
I have my transfers (Schurrle for Tadic) and captain choice (Adebayor) sorted but now I am struggling with who to bench. I have to bench any 2 of the following; Manquillo (West Ham A), Wilson (QPR A), Tadic (Swansea A), Clyne (Swansea A) or Siggy (Southampton H).
Currently thinking will bench Manquillo and Clyne as I can't see clean sheets for either whilst the rest could get points. Any suggestions?
Spurs are a decent side but they wont be close to the top 4. They should be a comfortable 6th ahead of Everton but they will not really challenge any top side. I want to get Aguero in but I think I have to wait a bit as he is just so expensive (in 3 GW's I swap Adebayor to Welbeck to free up the money.)
I really don't know what I am doing sport wise this weekend. I got the F1 at about 2ish on Saturday, Warrington rugby at 2:45, Hull City at 3 (which I can't record as is livestream only) and then Liverpool are 5:45. That is too much for 1 day and I just can't prioritise.

yeah i agree, that's mainly why i wouldn't captain a spurs player, but one could do well in a single GW; you never know!

aguero's price coupled with his injury proneness meant i want to stay away from him, but he's just so damn efficient when it comes to scoring.
having costa is a big boost though.
unsure what to do when sturridge returns - he hasn't really done much this season so i'm unsure as to whether it will be worth downgrading a midfielder to swap him in for welbeck or not.

at least it's only qualifying tomorrow (isn't it?) so i'll be able to watch the race on sunday or at least see the highlights

i'd say F1 at 2, swap to hull wehn it finishes and then liverpool after
sorted
you can watch rugby highlights or whatever :tongue:
I have my transfers (Schurrle for Tadic) and captain choice (Adebayor) sorted but now I am struggling with who to bench. I have to bench any 2 of the following; Manquillo (West Ham A), Wilson (QPR A), Tadic (Swansea A), Clyne (Swansea A) or Siggy (Southampton H).
Currently thinking will bench Manquillo and Clyne as I can't see clean sheets for either whilst the rest could get points. Any suggestions?

manquillo looks effective going forward whether it be assisting for crosses or getting penalties
normally i'd say wilson but it's against QPR :L
maybe clyne since swansea look so good and i don't see them not scoring
Who shall I captain?? Falcao?? Di maria?? Costa??

If that was me i'd bench Wilson & Manquillo. Don't bench Clyne as he is far more likely to get attacking points than those two.

Looks like everyone is having a 'do I play my Swansea or Southampton player'' dilemma :laugh:
got no swansea defenders crew . clyne it is. hopefully hull get a clean sheet too since newcastle are awful

not sure on naismith. too much of a kneejerk to try for pelle or ulloa? Got a bit in the bank.
Not going to chicken out - I will stay with my stupidity.

Tommorow, gone for team1, and captain Welbeck..

VC - Di Maria

4pt captain week, or glory..
Original post by fallen_acorns
Not going to chicken out - I will stay with my stupidity.

Tommorow, gone for team1, and captain Welbeck..

VC - Di Maria

4pt captain week, or glory..

Villa are top 4 slayers
Original post by Isometrix
Villa are top 4 slayers

dont need arsenal to win, just to score :cool:
Original post by fallen_acorns
dont need arsenal to win, just to score :cool:

In fairness if Villa are gonna win it's gonna be by shutting out the opposition. How many goals have they conceded this season? Like 1 maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Southampton, Swansea and Arsenal will all score imo.
Interesting Facts heading into this GW

- Welbeck has scored three goals in his last two Premier League starts against Villa.
- Villa have only had 6 shots on target all season, a league low.
- Eriksen scored in both EPL games against West Brom last season
- Wayne Rooney has scored in all (2) of his EPL league appearances against Leicester
- Leicester have just netted one goal in their last eight EPL matches against Manchester United
- Baines has assisted two goals this season; he only assisted four in the whole 2013/14 season
- Everton have won their last four EPL games on a Sunday, keeping a clean sheet in the last three
- Mario Balotelli has only scored just one goal in his last 18 premier league appearances.
- Since the start of last season, the only English player to create more goalscoring chances in the EPL then Stewert Downing (75) is Steven Gerrard (78)

Quick Reply

Latest