The Student Room Group

big 4 and these universities

Economics at which of these universities would give me the best shot at the big 4 accounting firms? : southampton, york , loughborough

Scroll to see replies

All three are fine for Big 4.
Original post by ThatAuditGuy
All three are fine for Big 4.

How about Queen Mary, SOAS and City University London?
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible

Perfectly acceptable, I myself graduated from CASS.
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible

You'll meet someone from pretty much every university at the Big Four. Really not that big of a deal which uni you go to as long as its half decent.
Original post by snakesnake
You'll meet someone from pretty much every university at the Big Four. Really not that big of a deal which uni you go to as long as its half decent.

Thanks
Reply 6

Nice, i put CASS for IRFM as my insurance but i rejected them because i don't quite feel like i'm ready to live in london yet. (high costs, dangerous compared to where i live and apparently the social aspect isn't that good which i don't particularly like since i heard big 4 like well rounded people who get involved in societies and such) anyway, i have decided to go to southampton to study economics and might switch to accounting and economics.
Original post by Sun_Bear
Nice, i put CASS for IRFM as my insurance but i rejected them because i don't quite feel like i'm ready to live in london yet. (high costs, dangerous compared to where i live and apparently the social aspect isn't that good which i don't particularly like since i heard big 4 like well rounded people who get involved in societies and such) anyway, i have decided to go to southampton to study economics and might switch to accounting and economics.

I think you made a mistake, IFRM is increasingly becoming a course that top employers like.

edit: The use of the word mistake is a little wrong, not a mistake because Southampton is a great uni, just think your reasoning for rejecting CASS were a little off from my experience.
(edited 9 years ago)
All seem like decent universities to get into Big 4.

Personally I firmed Cass IFRM and insured Loughborough. Fortunately I made the grades for Cass.

Would an A&F degree from Reading be okay?
Reply 10
Are you at an advantage if you apply to a Big 4 with a masters?
Original post by godd

Nope. A masters if you want to work in accounting or finance is a waste of time and money. Professional qualifications such as the ACA or CFA are miles better.
There are very few people who I've met at the Big Four who have a masters.

Original post by butterflyy
Would an A&F degree from Reading be okay?

Yes it would be ok.
Reply 12
Nope. A masters if you want to work in accounting or finance is a waste of time and money. Professional qualifications such as the ACA or CFA are miles better.
There are very few people who I've met at the Big Four who have a masters.

But wouldn't your application at least stand out compared to the drones of 2:1 applications they get.

Plus a masters in finance gives you a lot of CFA knowledge, so when you come to the CFA, it's a lot easier.
Original post by godd
But wouldn't your application at least stand out compared to the drones of 2:1 applications they get.

Plus a masters in finance gives you a lot of CFA knowledge, so when you come to the CFA, it's a lot easier.

One might think so but no, it adds nothing to you from the employer's viewpoint. They don't really care what degree you did. They just want you to have a degree with a 2:1 and that's it. From there on you'll be trained by the firm.

An undergrad in finance already covers a lot of the CFA stuff (I'm doing it now and did a finance undergrad- can vouch) and the ACA you'll do at a Big Four will reinforce it. Plus many people do the CFA with no finance background whatsoever so no, a masters is pointless.
Reply 14
One might think so but no, it adds nothing to you from the employer's viewpoint. They don't really care what degree you did. They just want you to have a degree with a 2:1 and that's it. From there on you'll be trained by the firm.

An undergrad in finance already covers a lot of the CFA stuff (I'm doing it now and did a finance undergrad- can vouch) and the ACA you'll do at a Big Four will reinforce it. Plus many people do the CFA with no finance background whatsoever so no, a masters is pointless.

So how do applications stand out?

It must be somewhat of a factor. If you had identical candidates but one had a 2:1 undergrad and the other had a 2:1 undergrad plus a masters in finane, surely you would go for the second candidate.
Original post by godd

I know people who failed to get into top with their undergraduate took on masters and got accepted straight away (London) studied at Warwick & LSE.

It does make you stand out tbh.
Reply 16
It is unfair on the other 2:1 guys to get ruffled out by a masters guy, but I guess that's the gain of spending another year at university.

Maybe the big 4 should post an upper ceiling? Cos then a phd guy could outdo the undergrad and masters candidate.
Original post by godd
So how do applications stand out?

It must be somewhat of a factor. If you had identical candidates but one had a 2:1 undergrad and the other had a 2:1 undergrad plus a masters in finane, surely you would go for the second candidate.

If everything else was equal, then perhaps. But your degree is just one small part of the application process. There's still the interviews, all that competency/extra curricular stuff and so forth.

Don't go away thinking that a masters will somehow get you a job significantly more so than a straight up undergraduate degree because it really doesn't. I work at a Big Four right now, there are very few people who I know who did a masters because they know just as well as I do that it doesn't really give you anything and pales in comparison to the power of a professional qualification on your CV.
You don't need to go to a university for Big Four.
Original post by godd
It is unfair on the other 2:1 guys to get ruffled out by a masters guy, but I guess that's the gain of spending another year at university.

Maybe the big 4 should post an upper ceiling? Cos then a phd guy could outdo the undergrad and masters candidate.

Why is it unfair if people are looking into the academics at all?

Then how is it fair that the 2:1 guys are killing off the chances of the 3 guys?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending