Reply 100
Original post by sr-96
Yes but only if your applying for straight econ:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My percentages are- physics: 92%
Maths: 90%
Economics: 100%
Chemistry: 87%
Do you think I'll get an offer if I have a good personal statement?(predicted all A*s)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 101
Original post by mmccann
My percentages are- physics: 92%
Maths: 90%
Economics: 100%
Chemistry: 87%
Do you think I'll get an offer if I have a good personal statement?(predicted all A*s)

Your scores are pretty good, maths and econ are 90+ which is good:smile: are u doing fm this year? Id take fm to atleast AS as they prefer applicants to have that. What are your GCSES like? Make sure your persinal statement is up to scratch. Go on lses website and look at their preliminary reading list. Read a book or two and critique them in your ps. They seem to like that too:tongue: Have you got any extra curriculars?
:smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Original post by sr-96
Your scores are pretty good, maths and econ are 90+ which is good:smile: are u doing fm this year? Id take fm to atleast AS as they prefer applicants to have that. What are your GCSES like? Make sure your persinal statement is up to scratch. Go on lses website and look at their preliminary reading list. Read a book or two and critique them in your ps. They seem to like that too:tongue: Have you got any extra curriculars?
:smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

My school doesn't offer further maths so no unfortunately. At GCSE I got 7 A*'s and 4 A's. I have read a few books also on the subject. I have got lots of extra curriculars but not related to economics sadly! I will probably apply to ucl, Durham and Cambridge as well.
Reply 103
Original post by mmccann
My school doesn't offer further maths so no unfortunately. At GCSE I got 7 A*'s and 4 A's. I have read a few books also on the subject. I have got lots of extra curriculars but not related to economics sadly! I will probably apply to ucl, Durham and Cambridge as well.

Oh if your school doesn't offer it thats perfectly ok:smile: have you thought about self teaching as fm? Your GCSES are great:biggrin:
I know Cambridge focus on academic performance alot more than extra curriculars but they do like to see super curriculars so wider reading sounds good.
Id say give lse a shot too!:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 104
Original post by sr-96
Oh if your school doesn't offer it thats perfectly ok:smile: have you thought about self teaching as fm? Your GCSES are great:biggrin:
I know Cambridge focus on academic performance alot more than extra curriculars but they do like to see super curriculars so wider reading sounds good.
Id say give lse a shot too!:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not too fussed on the idea of doing 4 A2's and picking up another AS. I should have did it last year! Cambridge is definitely my dream though
Reply 105
Original post by mmccann
I'm not too fussed on the idea of doing 4 A2's and picking up another AS. I should have did it last year! Cambridge is definitely my dream though

Im doing exactly that which is why I wish I did it last year too:tongue: same here, what college are you applying to?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr-96
Oh I was going for Jesus before but I changed my mind:tongue:
That is strong! :biggrin: best of luck in your application, hopefully we both get in:awesome:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah best of luck to you too!! :smile: :smile:
Reply 107
Original post by sr-96
Im doing exactly that which is why I wish I did it last year too:tongue: same here, what college are you applying to?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not totally sure but I've narrowed it down to Sidney Sussex or Pembroke. What one are you applying to?
Reply 108
Original post by mmccann
I'm not totally sure but I've narrowed it down to Sidney Sussex or Pembroke. What one are you applying to?

Id say Pembroke!:yes: and fitz applicant here!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will employees at top banking/consultancy firms prefer people with a economics degree, management degree or not mind????
Original post by kurofune
I'm actually done. Only thing I got left is spellcheck. I'm also applying to Oxford, UCL, Edinburgh, and KCL.

ah fair, what you applying for at UCL/kings?
Original post by Millerman
Will employees at top banking/consultancy firms prefer people with a economics degree, management degree or not mind????

its more about the prestige of the uni but u cant go wrong with econ for banking
Original post by jchap9776
its more about the prestige of the uni but u cant go wrong with econ for banking

I know but what about Management at LSE and UCL; even though there are economics modules in these degrees??
Just to say to everyone my gcse's were 1A* 3A 5B and as grades were ACDD, and i got an offer, eventually achieving A*AB at a2 (needed AAB). So dont be put off applying if your grades were like mine you never know.
Original post by C7jnr
Just to say to everyone my gcse's were 1A* 3A 5B and as grades were ACDD, and i got an offer, eventually achieving A*AB at a2 (needed AAB). So dont be put off applying if your grades were like mine you never know.

Congratulations! What did you apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Millerman
I know but what about Management at LSE and UCL; even though there are economics modules in these degrees??

Economics degree has depth.
Management degree has breadth.

UCL is more management science (engineering faculty) whilst LSE Management degree is more social science.
Original post by buyersremorse
ah fair, what you applying for at UCL/kings?

PPE.
Original post by C7jnr

Wow. Well done. Jumping 2 grades require compensating by at least 20% in A2 papers right? Won't you need perfect 100 to get from C to A with a borderline 59.9 C? How did you do it?
Original post by mmccann

If you had got higher UMS at maths, it wouldn't be as much of a problem but you only (still good haha) got 90%.
By Cambridge Economics standards this is low, especially as you can't do further maths. (Also for LSE perhaps)

Cambridge/LSE would definitely want to see that you are capable of a higher level of maths, in some shape or form!
I would definitely recommend either begging your school to help you do AS further maths or self teaching some modules/AS further maths. It would look pretty good if you were to say that you were self teaching/learning maybe 2 or 3 modules from s2/s3/fp1/fp2/fp3 etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 119
Original post by groovyd97
If you had got higher UMS at maths, it wouldn't be as much of a problem but you only (still good haha) got 90%.
By Cambridge Economics standards this is low, especially as you can't do further maths. (Also for LSE perhaps)

Cambridge/LSE would definitely want to see that you are capable of a higher level of maths, in some shape or form!
I would definitely recommend either begging your school to help you do AS further maths or self teaching some modules/AS further maths. It would look pretty good if you were to say that you were self teaching/learning maybe 2 or 3 modules from s2/s3/fp1/fp2/fp3 etc.

are you currently at any of these universities?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending