The Student Room Group

Failed first year unfairly - need help :(

Hey,

i am absolutely devastated today as my studies in politics have been terminated at loughborough. To pass the year you need 120 credits. I failed 30 credits, which were 3 10 credit modules which were 100% coursework.
The university today told me I passes 20 credits but failed 10 credits. The reason they have failed me is because they didn't receive the work. I sent all three courseworks via first class post in time for the deadline. So in short, Royal Mail have lost one of my courseworks. I have no proof that I sent the work to them. I tried to explain that I wouldn't send them only two pieces as I knew that this would fail me. Basically they don't care, and have terminated my studies.

i am appealing the decision as this just doesn't seem fair to me, I feel just empty as this leaves me massively in debt and I'm already paying for a house in loughborough. I am due the result within 5 working days.

i just need advice on what I can do? My grades are bbc but it's to late for clearing I'm guessing. Just don't know what to do, feel massively let down by my apartment.

thank you
Speak to your Student Union for advice about appealing.

Do you still have an electronic copy of the missing coursework? You could bring that with you to any appeal, and maybe evidence from your computer about when you wrote it (dates on files etc.), which would show you- theoretically at least- sent it at the same time as the other coursework.

Next time, get proof of postage when you send something as important as that - just ask for it at the counter in the post office.
Reply 2
Original post by gutenberg
Speak to your Student Union for advice about appealing.

Do you still have an electronic copy of the missing coursework? You could bring that with you to any appeal, and maybe evidence from your computer about when you wrote it (dates on files etc.), which would show you- theoretically at least- sent it at the same time as the other coursework.

Next time, get proof of postage when you send something as important as that - just ask for it at the counter in the post office.

Thanks for the reply, i have showed them evidence, it's a screenshot on my computer which shows the work was last saved befor the deadline, but they just say that they didn't get it so it doesn't matter
Reply 3
Something as important as this should have been Royal Mail tracked. Now I can understand how this isn't entirely your fault but its difficult to prove otherwise, as the facts stand it just seems you did not send it in. In the meantime as suggested by someone above, take any evidence you can find on your PC that suggests you have done the coursework and maile it and hand it in to whoever it concerns. In the meantime it may be a good idea to ring up other universities to find a place else where.
Reply 4
Unfair? Perhaps. Unjust? No.
Really don't think there is going to be anything you can do they didn't receive your coursework and you have no proof you sent it even if you do have proof you did it. Probably the only thing you can do now is apply to another uni and make sure you get anything you send that is important tracked stuff gets lost all the time in the post at least you could have had proof it wasn't your fault. Also why didn't you check the uni had received it?
Seems very odd that they didn't request an electronic copy as well as the physical copy. Seems like the Uni is very behind the times. It is rather unfair and I'll not give you the usual you could have taken steps to safeguard against this type of thing. All I'll say is it's not the end of the world I'm sure you'd be allowed to repeat the year at the very least.
Original post by Atotheb
Hey,

i am absolutely devastated today as my studies in politics have been terminated at loughborough. To pass the year you need 120 credits. I failed 30 credits, which were 3 10 credit modules which were 100% coursework.
The university today told me I passes 20 credits but failed 10 credits. The reason they have failed me is because they didn't receive the work. I sent all three courseworks via first class post in time for the deadline. So in short, Royal Mail have lost one of my courseworks. I have no proof that I sent the work to them. I tried to explain that I wouldn't send them only two pieces as I knew that this would fail me. Basically they don't care, and have terminated my studies.

i am appealing the decision as this just doesn't seem fair to me, I feel just empty as this leaves me massively in debt and I'm already paying for a house in loughborough. I am due the result within 5 working days.

i just need advice on what I can do? My grades are bbc but it's to late for clearing I'm guessing. Just don't know what to do, feel massively let down by my apartment.

thank you

Don't worry, the TSR community and I will be right here for you. Try asking the postman who usually goes around and pick up your mail, he probably keeps data of when he picked up your mail. Don't lose hope, especially if you think you have given all of your courseworks on the right date.:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Atotheb
Hey,

thank you

I would advise speaking to your students union. My school has a policy of that it must be tracked mail with proof, does your school have the same? (I'm talking university schools ie History, Biology etc). Seeing as they let you post it there should have been some protocol to follow such as tracked, signed for etc. If you abided by their policy there really should be no problem however if you didn't do something that they asked, then there's not much you can do.

Just thinking, do you have the receipt from the post office? You should have proof of postage regardless of whether it was tracked or not. I guess you would have to have all 3 or some sort of proof that it was for that specific assignment.
Reply 9
Original post by xpointx
Don't worry, the TSR community and I will be right here for you. Try asking the postman who usually goes around and pick up your mail, he probably keeps data of when he picked up your mail. Don't lose hope, especially if you think you have given all of your courseworks on the right date.:smile:

Thanks for the reply,

the university had four options with my appeal, three were to dismiss my appeal, they've taken the one to take my appeal to the dean of the school. They've terminated my studies, but does this mean I cannot start the year again or the module I failed again?

im exploring all options at the moment because basically kicking me out of uni just ruins my life because paying for house, in debt etc.

In their policy it doesn't state that I need to have recorded delivery, this is something I should have done anyway but I just didn't think the mr would lose my work, just didn't think straight I guess.

My family have always been pretty non existent so to get help on here is great, really appreciated.
Reply 10
I completly forgot about this.

I appealed, within about three weeks (2 weeks into uni) and i won. Just putting this incase someone else goes through same thing, now in my second year
Original post by Atotheb

I appealed, within about three weeks (2 weeks into uni) and i won. Just putting this incase someone else goes through same thing, now in my second year

Congrats!
Original post by Atotheb

Yay, awesome! Now, remember to track any assignments you send in. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest