The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arkasia
Yeah, 'not go for it', just like last week, like 5-1 Liverpool, 6-3 City, 3-0 Everton, 6-0 Chelsea etc

When they are on form, perhaps Deulofeu, Piazon, Januzaj, Munir (so far), Marquinhos, Ocampos etc

must be tough to lose so badly to your rivals, but it's almost as bad losing to a team you know you should beat.

that's the thing though; it isn't "form" for sterling - he is consistently a quality player, rarely ever has a bad game even when the 10 men around him do.

deulofeu too inconsistent
never heard of piazon/munir/ocampos (i obviously have a lack of knowledge, but i assume i would've at least heard of them if they were the next best thing)
januzaj lol; nowhere near sterling
marquinihos is quality on his day - hard to compare due to different positions though

realistically though, can you see a better teenager in the world than sterling?
none of those players bar marquinihos are anywhere near his level (not sure about those i haven't heard of though)

Original post by Arkasia
Subs: Ibrahimovic, Heskey.

Borini > Zlatan
Original post by NJam
Agreed, we aren't going to be at full strength all the time, but this team is still in it's infancy. 3 New players in the backline, another 2/3 going forward, it's not going to happen straight away.

It's understandable to be angry and disappointed after a loss, I'm as culpable as anyone, but the pessimism is what ticks me off. Just give it time. We gave Rodgers time in the past and he delivered, in spades. As did some of our players, prime example being Hendo.

i think my issue is that i expected us to be worse going forward; i just didn't expect us to be THAT bad at the back
on paper we have a decent defence - moreno/manquillo/lovren are quality
technically it's better than last year so why have we conceded 8 goals in 5 games so far?

if we continue conceding as badly as we are, we'll easily surpass the 50 mark that was deemed so bad last season.

pessimism after one game is moronic, but after 6 games with no signs of consistent quality?
one good game against spurs, that's it
why shouldn't we be pessimistic?
One positive from this game is that Lallana looked good when he came on, he looks like he is nearing match fitness. Once again, both Lucas and Gerrard should not be starting a game....
Reply 2663
Original post by Lúcio
i think my issue is that i expected us to be worse going forward; i just didn't expect us to be THAT bad at the back
on paper we have a decent defence - moreno/manquillo/lovren are quality
technically it's better than last year so why have we conceded 8 goals in 5 games so far?

if we continue conceding as badly as we are, we'll easily surpass the 50 mark that was deemed so bad last season.

pessimism after one game is moronic, but after 6 games with no signs of consistent quality?
one good game against spurs, that's it
why shouldn't we be pessimistic?

IMO, the individual defensive performances are not that bad. Sakho and Lovren have made a couple of mistakes, but that's more to do with communication which will be ironed out as they play more. Our defensive problems come from the midfield. I hate to say it, but Gerrard has been a liability. Playing him alongside Lucas today was poor judgement, likely due to poor forward planning, which has come from the increased number of games this season.

But where does pessimism actually get you? Getting everyone else down by saying we won't make the top four, after playing six games? On the contrary, we've actually taken just one point fewer than in the same fixtures last season.
Original post by Lúcio
unfortunately that's true
at least you play well at times - there's almost nothing more frustrating as a fan than seeing your team just not go for it.
when you know you have the quality to tear apart west ham but the opposite happens, that's a bad thing to experience.

best on the planet hands down.
name a better teenager than sterling then; can you think of one?

urgh, just too mad to say much right now
being outclassed by city is one thing but it's depressing when west ham own you.

Max Meyer?
Reply 2665
Original post by samir12
One positive from this game is that Lallana looked good when he came on, he looks like he is nearing match fitness. Once again, both Lucas and Gerrard should not be starting a game....

Neither should start anymore. No need to put reasons for lucas. Gerrard is too slow in defence and is too easily exposed. You could see today where a player jogs towards him and gerrard responds with a similar pace to track him then a slight change of pace and he's left for dead. Downing outpaced too many times today. Secondly he offers very little in attack now except the inevitable punt forward when he can't see an option. We had no movement in front of him and west ham set up very well to block off the short ball. This led to henderson having to drop deep to collect a short ball from gerrard. In this situation gerrard Imo should be running in to space looking for the return. Instead he just drops back to between the centre backs, it's as if he's glued there. We desperately need to get Allen back as I believe his link up play in these areas goes missing.

It's not even as if his passing is any good at the minute. He gets caught out to easily on the ball and his passes are wayward. He is essential a spare part who hinders us both in defence and attack in this half back role. We desperately need to sign a midfielder to take his place. Then he should either be on the bench or further up the pitch where he can probably have more influence in our attacks and hinder us less in defence.

Last season I think he got away with this role as it was new to him and more importantly to our opposition. Now from the last 2 league games it's obvious to see that opposition have his number and can quite easily nullify any influence he has by sticking a man on him and pushes their forwards up to just in front of him (and out defence). Easily picking up and countering any inevitable mistake he makes
So did Liverpool do a Tottenham or not?
#WeAreGoneAgain
Original post by Lúcio
must be tough to lose so badly to your rivals, but it's almost as bad losing to a team you know you should beat.

that's the thing though; it isn't "form" for sterling - he is consistently a quality player, rarely ever has a bad game even when the 10 men around him do.

deulofeu too inconsistent
never heard of piazon/munir/ocampos (i obviously have a lack of knowledge, but i assume i would've at least heard of them if they were the next best thing)
januzaj lol; nowhere near sterling
marquinihos is quality on his day - hard to compare due to different positions though

realistically though, can you see a better teenager in the world than sterling?
none of those players bar marquinihos are anywhere near his level (not sure about those i haven't heard of though)

Borini > Zlatan

You haven't heard of 3/6, not good going. Ocampos = Monaco, Munir = Barcelona, Piazon = Chelsea.

Also, considering your obvious yet inevitable bias, of course you will think Sterling is the best in the world.
Original post by NJam
IMO, the individual defensive performances are not that bad. Sakho and Lovren have made a couple of mistakes, but that's more to do with communication which will be ironed out as they play more. Our defensive problems come from the midfield. I hate to say it, but Gerrard has been a liability. Playing him alongside Lucas today was poor judgement, likely due to poor forward planning, which has come from the increased number of games this season.

But where does pessimism actually get you? Getting everyone else down by saying we won't make the top four, after playing six games? On the contrary, we've actually taken just one point fewer than in the same fixtures last season.

i agree, i didn't see any of the goals today but from what i've seen previously i'm comfortable having manquillo, moreno and lovren all starting for us
but surely our whole defensive problems can't lie solely with the CB partner and the consistent inadquacies of mignolet can it?

definitely - lucas has never been quite good enough imo and gerrard regrettably is past it.
the issue is that gerrard will never be dropped unless he himself calls for it
rodgers either needs to grow some balls and keep him out for a game or find a system where gerrard isn't so exposed and constantly caught out.

oh no, i never said we won't make the top 4
i find predictions of season results after 5 games to be foolish; at least wait until the 10-15 mark imo
my pessimism is only portrayed through my immense disappointment of our team performances

it just feels like we're helpless right now and i can't realistically see how we can give this a quick fix with sturridge still out

Original post by WorstUNameEver
Max Meyer?

i must admit i really shouldn't be outright saying sterling is the best in the world simply because i don't watch enough foreign football to be certain that a player like meyer isn't better
so that's my bad, but sterling as a liverpool and england player is a ridiculous prospect for club and country

inb4 his fifa 15 growth stops at 83:cool:
Original post by AR_95
So did Liverpool do a Tottenham or not?

i wouldn't say so
if anything, it's more that our existing players aren't doing well - our new players don't even look that bad
moreno/manquillo both look decent and i have no problem with lovren
if you can supply him, balotelli is okay and lambert is a good, cheap impact sub
haven't seen much of markovic but lallana looked bright today

i don't think there's a problem with who we've bought, maybe just that we focused too much on being able to cope with extra european games and not enough on replacing the actual quality lost from the suarez sale.
Original post by Arkasia
You haven't heard of 3/6, not good going. Ocampos = Monaco, Munir = Barcelona, Piazon = Chelsea.

Also, considering your obvious yet inevitable bias, of course you will think Sterling is the best in the world.

see my most recent post re: meyer

yeah, i have definite bias towards sterling although i'm sure plenty of people play him down in their minds because he currently plays for a liverpol side struggling right now
Original post by Lúcio

yeah, i have definite bias towards sterling although i'm sure plenty of people play him down in their minds because he currently plays for a liverpol side struggling right now

Original post by Arkasia

Tbh Luke did say he doesn't know much about them and Sterling is a wonderful prospect.
Original post by Lúcio

Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Tbh Luke did say he doesn't know much about them and Sterling is a wonderful prospect.

Fair enough, I wasn't attacking Luke I agree that Sterling is probably top 3 in the world.
Lol Madrid packed 8 goals against deprotivo... :biggrin:
Arsenal recovered from much worse positions to get top4, and in March, but youre still facing a big challenge really. You dont look a particularly great side without Suarez in all honesty.
Original post by Arkasia

Piazon better than Sterling? You high?

Munir has bags of talent but has played a month at the top level.

Deulofeu is a bit frustrating and not as all rounded nor consistent as Sterling.

Ocampos, no.

Januzaj lol.

Marquinhos is 20.

The only teenager that comes close to Sterling is Meyer.
Original post by Zürich
Arsenal recovered from much worse positions to get top4, and in March, but youre still facing a big challenge really. You dont look a particularly great side without Suarez in all honesty.

I think its alot of factors really. Sturridge is obviously a massive miss (thanks Hodgson you complete cock), bedding in alot of signings, a tough opening 5 fixtures and we really should have signed another midfielder whilst shipping out Lucas.
Reply 2677
Liverpool fans sitting there like:

Original post by swarly
Liverpool fans sitting there like:

Im all for taking the piss (if you cant take it dont give it and all that), but that was just crap. Up your game son.
Original post by CB91
I think its alot of factors really. Sturridge is obviously a massive miss (thanks Hodgson you complete cock), bedding in alot of signings, a tough opening 5 fixtures and we really should have signed another midfielder whilst shipping out Lucas.

Yeah course it doesnt help and youll improve but your defence is still poor(no worse than Utd's though really) and there just seems to be a lack of genuine quality in the side with a lot of 'decent' players making up the number.

Quick Reply

Latest