The Student Room Group

Opening a secret bank account

Hey, I was wondering whether I can open a bank account using my relative's home address rather than mine. I know banks require you to give proof of address but can't you ask them to send letters to another preferred address?

I know you can go paperless and bank online but I still cannot afford to take that risk as there's no guarantee that I wouldn't get offers/junk/credit applications from the bank.

Ps. To anyone wondering why I want to open a secret bank account I will only say one thing.. my parents are crap at saving money!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Paperless means paperless; they don't send you offers or junk. The only time they send you something is when there are major changes to the bank, like when TSB broke away from Lloyds.
Sometimes you can open both a student account and a current account at the same bank. Like I have two accounts at Natwest that are easy to manage with the same login and internet banking password. So you can use one account to keep most of your money and if your parents want to know your statement, show them the other statement with little or no money.
Using a false address is not only fraud it is not possible.
You have to provide proof of address
Original post by Pectorac
Paperless means paperless; they don't send you offers or junk. The only time they send you something is when there are major changes to the bank, like when TSB broke away from Lloyds.

Wrong. I'm paperless, therefore, receive no bank statements. But still get numerous offers of a credit card, etc.
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
Wrong. I'm paperless, therefore, receive no bank statements. But still get numerous offers of a credit card, etc.

Yeah I'm currently joined with Barclays and I get numerous credit card applications

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by balotelli12
Using a false address is not only fraud it is not possible.
You have to provide proof of address

I know you have to show proof of address which I will with my Driving Licence and Bank Statement. My question is can correspondence be sent to a different address from the one on my Driving Licence etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by sunnydespair
Sometimes you can open both a student account and a current account at the same bank. Like I have two accounts at Natwest that are easy to manage with the same login and internet banking password. So you can use one account to keep most of your money and if your parents want to know your statement, show them the other statement with little or no money.

Don't want to be with the same bank I'm afraid. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OU Student

I've never had any offers or junk from Lloyds in 5 years.
Reply 9
Swiss Bank!
Why don't you just open a normal bank account and when you get letters, just wait until your parents ask what it was and just say 'Junk mail' or something. I recently opened a TSB account and got sent about three letters and have received no more since.
Original post by bluemax
Swiss Bank!

What's your reason?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Never'N'Ding
What's your reason?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You said 'opening a secret account'
Reply 13
If you untick the options to still receive promotional offers etc... when you sign up for an account, it should be a truly paperless account (apart from when you find yourself in debt, then they are obliged by law to send you paper statements.)
Original post by 0mgJohn
If you untick the options to still receive promotional offers etc... when you sign up for an account, it should be a truly paperless account (apart from when you find yourself in debt, then they are obliged by law to send you paper statements.)

Can I do that in branch?
Reply 15
Can I do that in branch?

That's where I opened my account at Lloyds. I got an appointment, and simply got walked through the process by the bank manager, who filled in some forms on the computer, and let me do the ticking etc... as I wanted it to be :smile:
Can't see why there would be a problem with a correspondence address on your account. I certainly arranged this for a client with an investment house ( because of similar problems to what your having.)

Money laundering regulations are to prove your identity.
The best thing you can do is go into a branch and speak to an advisor and ask them your questions. They should be able to give you a definite answer.
Thank you guys for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you guys for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I'm aware of you can get your bank mail sent to a different address- my mum did it for a while when we had home issues, once everything was fine she put the address back to our home one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending