The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Applying to York for 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hey,

So I was looking at some of the requirements for English yesterday and York seem very strict on certain things despite being ranked #17 overall. For example, they normally expect at least a B or higher in any completed AS level and want a foreign language done to at least a B at GCSE level. Both criterion I do not meet so I'm really pensive about applying and if I stand a good chance?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of York
York
I'm thinking of applying for Biology (mainly because York is ranked 4th overall for Biosciences). I got AAAB at AS level - the B is in English Lit which I've now dropped).
I'm going to the open day in a few weeks - anyone else going?
Human geography and the environment :smile:
Original post by IHTWFR
Hey,

So I was looking at some of the requirements for English yesterday and York seem very strict on certain things despite being ranked #17 overall. For example, they normally expect at least a B or higher in any completed AS level and want a foreign language done to at least a B at GCSE level. Both criterion I do not meet so I'm really pensive about applying and if I stand a good chance?

Thanks

Hello :smile: Despite being ranked 17th (as you said, however its position seems to change in different guides), York's English department is ranked in the top 10, hence the slightly harsher entry requirements. The only reason they ask for a B in a foreign language at GCSE is because of the course's partial focus on foreign literature.
I applied this year and didn't meet the GCSE requirement, nor did I have a fourth AS grade. However, I had already achieved my grade in English Literature, which I think helped me get an offer.
I think as long as you achieved an A in English Literature at AS (or possibly a B), are predicted an A/A* at A2, and have a good personal statement that displays your enthusiasm for the subject, I don't see why you shouldn't be made an offer.
You could always write a little bit about foreign languages in your personal statement if you're concerned about not meeting the requirement, such as having a developing interest in foreign literature/how you'd like to read foreign literary works in their original language, etc. Although, you don't want to gear your personal statement solely towards York's course (especially if it isn't your first choice) and distance yourself from other universities that may not offer a foreign literature module. In my personal statement I included learning about Old/Middle English and Old Norse in my English Language studies (which is something that York's course includes in the 'foreign' modules), and it also ties in with medieval literature, which is taught at other universities.
I can't say how much emphasis is placed on the B in the AS levels, I'm not sure if it means at least a B in the 3 subjects taken to A2 or a B in the AS level dropped - if it's the latter and it's a subject unrelated to Literature, I doubt it'd matter.

I hope that this is helpful and I would suggest applying anyway! If your A2 predictions meet the entry requirements then you already stand a good chance :smile:
Applying for MChem Chemistry, Biological and Medicinal Chemistry.
I'm visiting universities in November so I'll decide then but I'm thinking it'll probably be my first choice.
Reply 65
I'm looking to stay in self-catered ensuite accommodation and to study English. From the map, it looks like English is in derwent college.. Is this right? Also, it looks as if in derwent college there's only 1 ensuite room available- where would be best to stay?
I'm applying for economics.
Anyone knows the difference between economics, economics and politics, and economics and sociology?

not sure to which one apply.

I thought it was my safety school, but now I think it is one of my target ones. does taking AP courses and getting 5's in all of them really matters?:confused:

:confused::confused::smile:
Hi!

I want to apply for economics but don't know which branch yet haha.

the process of applying is overwhelming don't you think?

I hope I'll get accepted to the university of york! I'm coming from an american school!

good luck to all the applicants!:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Reply 68
I'm applying for Computer Science, my choice 1 is between York and Southampton. Can't decide!
Hi!! I want to apply to the Physics and Philosophy course because York is the only university that offers this combination at Master level but I'm not sure... Do you want to apply for the Bachelor or the Master?
Hi I was thinking of applying to York to do politics and IR, not sure if my AS grades are good enough though (ABCD) but I'm being predicted AAB so hopefully I have a chance, guess I'll just have to nail my PS!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am applying for human geography and the environment, looks amazing although only 20 places as it is a new course for 2015:frown:.

I got ABBBB at AS and need ABB, hopefully will be predicted A*AB (won't get the A* but it will be nice to have it predicted) or AAB, as that will give me a better chance in getting an offer. :biggrin:
Original post by jimbo007
Human geography and the environment :smile:

I am applying for the same... were you at the open day?
Original post by marinanutshell
Hi!! I want to apply to the Physics and Philosophy course because York is the only university that offers this combination at Master level but I'm not sure... Do you want to apply for the Bachelor or the Master?

I applied for Physics and Maths (2014 entry, I'm going in a week) and it says on the FAQ for physics that you can move between BSc and integrated Masters depending on how good your performance is as long as you haven't started 3rd year. I don't know about the philosophy department's policy on it though.

They also said that if you apply for the BSc and exceed the entry requirements when you get your results they will automatically offer you a course transfer, but I applied for BSc, beat the requirements, but haven't been contacted about a course change yet. If they offer me a course change to the Integrated masters in my first/second week I'll tell you.

I'd recommend the integrated masters though, that way you can get a masters degree funded by student finance. However if you apply for the BSc and change to Masters in year 1 or 2, student finance will still cover it for you.
Original post by kingdoo
I am applying for the same... were you at the open day?

i didn't go yesterday but I went a couple of months back, beautiful city and I love the look of the course
Original post by jimbo007
i didn't go yesterday but I went a couple of months back, beautiful city and I love the look of the course

Have you been to the uni? Or just the city? The uni itself is beautiful and I have been on holiday in the city before it really is an amazing place. My worry is that they said the course only had 20 places :s-smilie:
Original post by __Adam__
I applied for Physics and Maths (2014 entry, I'm going in a week) and it says on the FAQ for physics that you can move between BSc and integrated Masters depending on how good your performance is as long as you haven't started 3rd year. I don't know about the philosophy department's policy on it though.

They also said that if you apply for the BSc and exceed the entry requirements when you get your results they will automatically offer you a course transfer, but I applied for BSc, beat the requirements, but haven't been contacted about a course change yet. If they offer me a course change to the Integrated masters in my first/second week I'll tell you.

I'd recommend the integrated masters though, that way you can get a masters degree funded by student finance. However if you apply for the BSc and change to Masters in year 1 or 2, student finance will still cover it for you.

Congratulations!!! That's great!
So glad to have found a fellow would-be physicist!
if they don't say anything maybe it's because you have to actually say you'd rather be in the integrated Master? Idk I would have thought that you'd have to ask for a change sometime in 1st or 2nd year but thanks for clearing that out. Now I'm not sure if I should apply for the BSc and then try to switch to MSc once I'm already in or apply to the MSc directly...What if they don't accept me for the MSc but they would have if I'd applied for the BSc? This is so... :eek3:
I'm sure if you've exceeded the requirements there won't be any problem with changing courses I'd love to know what you think about the physics course once you start!
Thank you for answering and good luck!
Congratulations!!! That's great!
So glad to have found a fellow would-be physicist!
if they don't say anything maybe it's because you have to actually say you'd rather be in the integrated Master? Idk I would have thought that you'd have to ask for a change sometime in 1st or 2nd year but thanks for clearing that out. Now I'm not sure if I should apply for the BSc and then try to switch to MSc once I'm already in or apply to the MSc directly...What if they don't accept me for the MSc but they would have if I'd applied for the BSc? This is so... :eek3:
I'm sure if you've exceeded the requirements there won't be any problem with changing courses I'd love to know what you think about the physics course once you start!
Thank you for answering and good luck!

That's what I thought, their exact words are:

If you have accepted our conditional offer of a place on the BSc programme and find that you have done better than expected and actually met the offer requirement for the MPhys programme, then we will automatically offer you a course transfer. This means that, should you accept the offer, you can start on the MPhys programme at the start of your first term, or if you wish, you can choose to stay with the BSc programme. It is also possible to transfer between BSc and MPhys courses at the end of the first and second year, subject to satisfactory performance.

Bold bit suggests they contact you about it before the course starts, so it might mean the first or second week, I thought it meant you would get a changed course offer on results day but apparently not.

I don't see why they wouldn't make an offer for the MPhys but they would for a BSc, what are your AS grades? Also I'm pretty sure they can offer you a BSc place even if you apply for MPhys, try emailing admissions about it if it's something you're worried about.

If you're looking at entry requirements, both the BSc and MPhys course said AAA-AAB when I applied, but I got an AAB offer. I don't know if this was because I chose the BSc or if it was because the rest of my application was good though, but usually the higher offer they list is the standard one they make, which suggests that the MPhys and BSc have the same entry requirements, which doesn't make sense to me.
Original post by __Adam__
That's what I thought, their exact words are:

Bold bit suggests they contact you about it before the course starts, so it might mean the first or second week, I thought it meant you would get a changed course offer on results day but apparently not.

I don't see why they wouldn't make an offer for the MPhys but they would for a BSc, what are your AS grades? Also I'm pretty sure they can offer you a BSc place even if you apply for MPhys, try emailing admissions about it if it's something you're worried about.

If you're looking at entry requirements, both the BSc and MPhys course said AAA-AAB when I applied, but I got an AAB offer. I don't know if this was because I chose the BSc or if it was because the rest of my application was good though, but usually the higher offer they list is the standard one they make, which suggests that the MPhys and BSc have the same entry requirements, which doesn't make sense to me.

It sounds like that to me too, I don't know... have you tried contacting the admissions office or the physics department?
I'm worried because I'm an EU student doing the IB but my qualifications aren't what you'd call... straightforward. I can't meet the precise requirements they're asking for because my school doesn't offer these specific courses so I'm doing everything I can to try to make up for it (including taking the SAT I and II) but I don't know if all that would be enough for them to consider me...
It sounds like that to me too, I don't know... have you tried contacting the admissions office or the physics department?
I'm worried because I'm an EU student doing the IB but my qualifications aren't what you'd call... straightforward. I can't meet the precise requirements they're asking for because my school doesn't offer these specific courses so I'm doing everything I can to try to make up for it (including taking the SAT I and II) but I don't know if all that would be enough for them to consider me...

I was told my some second/third year people to wait and ask when I got there.

I've never looked at the IB, but admissions staff will know about it as it's a recognised qualification. Email [email protected] and ask them about your qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending