The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
Put it this way. If my team is losing away from home and needs a goal, i'd much rather have an out of form Falcao coming off the bench than Balotelli, Borini and Lambert.

Arsenal have four fit defenders, one striker and Arteta/Flamini at DM, whereas United started the season with no fullbacks, no wingers and a Fletcher Cleverley midfield. Injuries aren't an excuse i'm afraid, other clubs have had it worse.

You're bedding in an entirely new back four, and an entirely new attack. That's going to take time, Suarez is a huge miss and none of your new signings are even close to that standard. You'd have been much better off buying one top class AM instead of Lallana & Markovic, and one top class striker instead of Lambert & Balotelli. In this case, less is more. Just look at Fab/Costa, Di Maria/Falcao or even Sanchez/Welbeck.

Gerrard really needs to be dropped/rotated as well. He's not able to be playing 90 minutes 3 times a week anymore. Out of all the players you signed from Southampton, i'm surprised that you didn't go for Morgan Schneiderlin.

I do agree that you're bound to improve, especially if you sign Valdes, but there's no guarantee you'll finish above us or Arsenal. Lucky for you it's only Everton next up, which is guaranteed to be a 3/4-0 win.

Pls read carefully and absorb what's being said, "injuries we can't cope without". Arsenal have coped well considering their injuries and shortcomings but saying that Liverpool showed that you can get away with having a shoddy defence as long as the rest of your team is running smoothly, so I'd rather have defensive injuries then injuries throughout the whole team.
As for United lets face it you didn't really cope for periods either which is why you were mocked while getting wrecked by the likes of MK Dons plus all the substandard PL performances. So now it's our turn.
Not to mention you're saying it's not an excuse as if Arsenal and United are significantly ahead of us, there is only a maximum of a 3 point difference and you're still behind if you don't win today. So really that argument holds no value.

Again, Gerrard would have been rotated if we had the player we bought to slot into defensive midfield not get wrecked by a friendly.

I haven't said anything to appose the rest of what you're saying so point me replying to it, not that I take pleasure replying to guys who have evidently sucked on too many lemons.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jshep000
pipe down manco. can't wait for falcao to flop for yous *****

I wasn't having a go; it's far too early in the season for that. For all we know you could buy Vidal in January and then go on an unbeaten run...

I really don't think Falcao will flop. If he does, then we have RVP to replace him.
Original post by Eboracum
I'm forever blowing bubbles
Pretty bubbles in the air...

WEST HAM

It's all gone wrong. Suarez gone. Gerrard past it. Sturridge injured. Only just been Ludo. Be lucky to finish 5th this season to be honest. Balotelli is a total waste of space. Back to reality for Anfield.

That was actually glorious.

But ebo pls :frown:
I'm always there for you when united are rubbish :/

Didn't expect us to be as good as last season but I don't think there's any real excuse for the players for performances like this.

You can spout all about injuries and what not but the fact is that the 11 guys playing yesterday are better on paper than the 11 guys playing for west ham.
The fact that they were so outclassed is down to their performance and rodgers' tactics
Original post by sr90
Put it this way. If my team is losing away from home and needs a goal, i'd much rather have an out of form Falcao coming off the bench than Balotelli, Borini and Lambert.

Arsenal have four fit defenders, one striker and Arteta/Flamini at DM, whereas United started the season with no fullbacks, no wingers and a Fletcher Cleverley midfield. Injuries aren't an excuse i'm afraid, other clubs have had it worse.

You're bedding in an entirely new back four, and an entirely new attack. That's going to take time, Suarez is a huge miss and none of your new signings are even close to that standard. You'd have been much better off buying one top class AM instead of Lallana & Markovic, and one top class striker instead of Lambert & Balotelli. In this case, less is more. Just look at Fab/Costa, Di Maria/Falcao or even Sanchez/Welbeck.

Gerrard really needs to be dropped/rotated as well. He's not able to be playing 90 minutes 3 times a week anymore. Out of all the players you signed from Southampton, i'm surprised that you didn't go for Morgan Schneiderlin.

I do agree that you're bound to improve, especially if you sign Valdes, but there's no guarantee you'll finish above us or Arsenal. Lucky for you it's only Everton next up, which is guaranteed to be a 3/4-0 win.

A Liverpool fan using the injuries excuse :rofl:
Original post by Pete_91
A Liverpool fan using the injuries excuse :rofl:

Are you dim? It's not an excuse rather stated as the reason for poor performances over the fact that we have CL games to play which other people where using as the reason which is clearly not the case yet.

Pls read and understand before making baseless comments. I seem to be saying that a lot to opposition fans recently, all this hysteria has seemed to effect their cognitive abilities.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by So Instinct
Are you dim? It's not an excuse rather stated as the reason for poor performances over the fact that we have CL games to play which other people where using as the reason which is clearly not the case yet.

Pls read and understand before making baseless comments. I seem to be saying that a lot to United fans recently, all this hysteria has seemed to effect their cognitive abilities.

He's an Arsenal fan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
He's an Arsenal fan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I corrected as you posted. Though I remember a United fan having a similar name or perhaps it was him and I just got the wrong impression.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah I corrected as you posted. Though I remember a United fan having a similar name or perhaps it was him and I just got the wrong impression.

Yeah fair enough. If you lost to Everton next week (which lets be fair you'll probably destroy em 4-0) would you start panicking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Yeah fair enough. If you lost to Everton next week (which lets be fair you'll probably destroy em 4-0) would you start panicking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We wont win 4-0, our form atm is poor and we wont see a significant increase until a week or two after Sturridge is back. If we beat Everton it will be scrappy.

Nah I won't be panicking too much because this time last season we had some poor result too like the loss to Southampton, United, Arsenal, draws with Swansea and Newcastle and at the time people where panicking while some made wild statements like we won't even make 6th and that Gerrard should retire, squad is terrible etc. The season before that we came good towards the end of the season too, it's almost become the new 'Scouse cycle' so to speak.

When Sturridge came back into the squad our form picked up dramatically so I'll reserve judgement until Sturridge and a few of the other injured players are fit again.
(edited 9 years ago)

Pls read and understand before making baseless comments. I seem to be saying that a lot to opposition fans recently, all this hysteria has seemed to effect their cognitive abilities.

Tbh I didn't read all the way back through the quote, just read sr90s post about injuries and thought it was amusing because of the horrific amount of injuries Arsenal/United have had (almost exclusively defensively too).

My apologies.

Back on point though, the issue is lack of sufficient quality in depth with Liverpool, I think. We just about have enough quality in depth (apart from CM and maybe CB) to cope with major injuries to first teamers (Walcott can be replaced with AOC/Campbell/Podolski for instance, Welbeck for Giroud was probably a marginal upgrade). If Ozil is out we can play 1 of around 7 players in his position (Cazorla being the main backup). It's only in defence (full backs and CB) that we're currently very short albeit with injuries to 2 of them.

With Liverpool there is a much larger drop in quality after the first team. Especially if you play 2 strikers the backup is just not good enough if you get major injuries (like Sturridge's).
Original post by Manchester United
Would you have taken Welbeck over Balo? Obviously we wouldn't sell to you.

I probably would have tbh - I said at the time I thought it was an astute bit of business by Wenger.

Welbeck has the potential to reach Sturridge-like heights at Arsenal. He just needs a run in the team, some good service and he'll get that confidence. He seems like all he wants is to play football, too, which is similar to Sturridge.

I really don't think I can stress how crucial Sturridge is to us. If he and Sterling were to go anywhere, we'd be in a worse state than when Rodgers initially took over.
Obviously it's still early season but Rodger's management with this defence has been atrocious. And yet some where saying he was one of the best managers ever last season...
I have faith in Rodgers. I think he's a great motivator, man manager and ATTACKING tactician. It's as clear as day, though, that he can't make sides compact and defensively strong like the likes of Mourinho do. He's a very attacking, offensive-minded manager and that was great for us when we were underdogs last year - we could come out of the traps and surprise sides. These days, teams look to score an early goal through set pieces (which we are woeful at) and then shut up shop. We rarely have the creativity to break them down.

I can see this season being very similar to 09/10. Full of hope at the start, and then dreadful by Christmas.
Original post by AR_95
Obviously it's still early season but Rodger's management with this defence has been atrocious. And yet some where saying he was one of the best managers ever last season...

You can't really belittle what he did last season. You don't win 13 games in a row without being an excellent manager tbh. It's not unheard of for sides to have bad starts and to recover.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Man United is fabulous ...... :colone:

How are you losing to Leicester?

5-3 NOW ..... he's ****ting his pants, he's ****ting his paaaaaaaannntsss, Wayne Rooney he's ****ting his pants!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gob Bluth
You can't really belittle what he did last season. You don't win 13 games in a row without being an excellent manager tbh. It's not unheard of for sides to have bad starts and to recover.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great achievement ofcourse. I don't denie that by any means at all, wish I saved some of those quotes though.
atleast united are getting ****ed to :tongue:
When you guys play leicester away don't underestimate them. They do not stop running.
Reply 2738
Original post by Pete_91
When you guys play leicester away don't underestimate them. They do not stop running.

The hammers ran circles around them haha

The season is shaping out nicely
Reply 2739
Leicester dark horses for a top 8 finish. They got a helping of luck today but that doesn't explain taking 5 points against Arsenal, Everton and United. Hopefully we'll be up and running by the time we face them in December.

Quick Reply

Latest