The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Just phoned up admissions and they said that as long as you meet the UKCAT cut off for this year and have the entry requirements you will be invited for interview. Is this true?? I find it hard to believe that since there would be so many being invited for interview.
Reply 41
If you phoned admissions-it's true! :smile: they wouldn't give false information!
Yeah its really true ,So dont worry about that.they wouldn't give false information
Hi everyone

I am resit applicant (got AAB this year at A2 and missed my offers for medicine), are there any other resit applicants here? I got an average of 710 in ukcat this year so hoping that's enough for a interview!
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Just phoned up admissions and they said that as long as you meet the UKCAT cut off for this year and have the entry requirements you will be invited for interview. Is this true?? I find it hard to believe that since there would be so many being invited for interview.

They interview about 500, so basically they will adjust the ukcat cut off until only 500 ish are above it and meet other requirements :smile:
Reply 45
what is the ukcat cutoff? there
Reply 46
Original post by JamesJL

last year it was like 697
Original post by JamesJL

Original post by erudite
last year it was like 697

The cutoff was 697.5, if i remember rightly you can tweet you score to the UKCAT company and they tell you your percentile. That might come in handy, top ~30% met the cutoff :smile:
Reply 48
Does anyone know how much time is spent on work placement in each of the years at Exeter?

From Unistats data it seems the time on work placement is only 2% in year 1, 6% in year 2, 27% in years 3 and 4 and 17% in year 5. Other unis I've looked at have much higher values throughout and up to 75% in some years.

Can any current students expand on this with any explanations?

Thanks
Anyone thinking of applying for Medical Sciences here as their 5th option? I'm trying to decide between that and a Biological Sciences pathways at Leicester...
Reply 50
Found this on a Freedom Of Information Site - it clearly shows that Exeter's cut off is a bit vague as there were loads of people who scored below the cut-off that were still made an offer :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by cwi111
Found this on a Freedom Of Information Site - it clearly shows that Exeter's cut off is a bit vague as there were loads of people who scored below the cut-off that were still made an offer :smile:

That's really strange, maybe extenuating circumstances? I'm considering Exeter but the cut off is a bit shady
I'm a reapplicant on a gap year. I didn't apply here last year but I was considering applying here this year but I've been told that as I have achieved AAA I don't fit the entry requirements which are A*AA-AAA, is that true?
Original post by skittlesaremydrugs
I'm a reapplicant on a gap year. I didn't apply here last year but I was considering applying here this year but I've been told that as I have achieved AAA I don't fit the entry requirements which are A*AA-AAA, is that true?

I'd email them if I were you, but I'd be surprised as I was told I wouldn't be at any real disadvantage and I'm resitting with only A*ABB. However, I do remember something from last year about people who weren't predicted/hadn't achieved an A* being disadvantaged, but as I said, it's worth just emailing them :smile:
Original post by Dr. Django
I'd email them if I were you, but I'd be surprised as I was told I wouldn't be at any real disadvantage and I'm resitting with only A*ABB. However, I do remember something from last year about people who weren't predicted/hadn't achieved an A* being disadvantaged, but as I said, it's worth just emailing them :smile:

Yeah I have emailed them. I'll see what they say but I do know that was an issue last year but I'm not sure of how UKCAT could balance that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

edit: I've called Exeter and they said the grades are fine, I think a competitive exeter applicant might have got a bit sly :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Can anyone tell me how Exeter use the PS, I'm trying to call them but its just ringing out. I know on the wiki page for applying using your strengths it says it is scored lightly but does anyone know if this is still correct and if it is to what extent this is used.
Reply 56
Original post by skittlesaremydrugs
Can anyone tell me how Exeter use the PS, I'm trying to call them but its just ringing out. I know on the wiki page for applying using your strengths it says it is scored lightly but does anyone know if this is still correct and if it is to what extent this is used.

Only used at interview. Avoid the Wiki page - it's so out of date :smile:
Original post by Mehhhh
Only used at interview. Avoid the Wiki page - it's so out of date :smile:

Thanks - I know but it can be useful when unis are being coy in their prospectus' :mad:
Would I be competitive enough for an interview, their website is ridiculously vague...

5a* 4a 2b
aaaa d3
680 Band 1
Predicted: a*a*a

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaska
Would I be competitive enough for an interview, their website is ridiculously vague...

5a* 4a 2b
aaaa d3
680 Band 1
Predicted: a*a*a

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes if your ukcat meets the "cutoff". Last year it was 697.5, but this year the average score has gone down 25-30 points which would suggest you'll be 'ite.

Ultimately it's up to you whether you wanna take the risk or not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending