The Student Room Group

People's Climate March London - today, 1230

You may have heard of the People's Climate Change March, a worldwide event happening this weekend.
http://www.campaigncc.org/climatemarchlondon
http://peoplesclimate.org/london/

The London March is today and if anyone is in London and wants to join it, it leaves Temple Place, Embankment at 1230.

This is a peaceful march to demand worldwide government action on climate change and is happening in nearly 200 places around the world. There are also marches and gatherings in other places around the UK.

People’s Climate March Manchester
Start - 11am Piccadilly Gardens,
Frack Free Greater Manchester and the Greater Manchester Association of Trades Union Councils and others have organised a march through the centre of Manchester, focusing on the Labour Party Conference.
See here for more details

People’s Climate March and Gathering, Edinburgh
Starts- 1:30 with a picnic in the gardens next to The Mound, weather permitting.
The march itself starts at 2.30 regardless of weather, there will be some singing you are invited to join in with and will end at 4.30.
See here for details and updates

Sheffield Rivers Rally
A creative action in Sheffield to link with the People's Climate March in New York. We will walk along Sheffield's rivers, rallying at the Town Hall to show our support for urgent climate action to our city leaders and the UN summit. The river walks will gather at 1pm and the rally at the town hall will be at 3pm (tbc).
Join the Facebook event.

Gloucestershire Climate March
Start- 12pm, The Subscription Rooms, Stroud, GL5 1AE
They will be walking from The Subscription Rooms and ends in a rally and picnic in Rodborough: 1.5 km steep walk uphill! They will be calling on local government to commit to 100% clean energy and sharing the science around climate change
Bring a drum/ bell, bring a kite to feel the power of the wind, and bring a picnic.
Details: www.gloscan.org.uk

Dudley - Climate: Action Not Words
Family event in Priory Park Pavillion and surrounding park land.(2pm-4pm) Including : Send a message to act now to leaders meeting in NY via a group photo @3pm. Deliver 100% fossil free petition to Local Government.Find out more
Reply 1
hippies.
Reply 2
Original post by SickBrah
hippies.

Yep. Plus some philosophers and some scientists and a bunch of others.

Good, innit?
Reply 3
Original post by Simes
Yep. Plus some philosophers and some scientists and a bunch of others.

Good, innit?

No. Bunch of idiots.
What's the point in marching about something that governments are gagging to do anyway?

Where are all the banners saying "I love paying green taxes, please take even more of my money"?

I see no peoples movement, just all the usual far-left NGOs and fake charities out to promote and enrich themselves at everyone else's expense, accompanied by a scattering of fellow travellers from the hippie and homosexual camps.
Reply 5
Original post by thesabbath
What's the point in marching about something that governments are gagging to do anyway?

Gagging to do anyway? Is that why, for the past 25 years, governments have allowed carbon dioxide emissions to rise year on year, and why, in 2013, emissions rose at their fastest rate for 30 years?

I'm not sure which world you've been living in, but the politicians on planet Earth are incredibly reluctant to make any significant changes to combat global warming: the Kyoto Protocol was non-binding and its targets, on our current course, won't be reached. The 2009 Copenhagen conference, similarly, achieved nothing, and global warming deniers are actually pleased with today's world leaders, including Obama, for not taking any action on the issue. Indeed, on top of the fact that fossil fuel companies have been using hundreds of millions of dollars to fund global warming denial, they've also got plenty of politicians, particularly in the United States, in their pockets. And, in the UK, David Cameron appointed a global warming denier as his environment secretary, while giving tax breaks to fossil fuel companies.

And, you see no people's movement? Is that why marches have occurred in 156 countries over the past day, and why people from Indigineous communities are at the forefront of the march?

Original post by SickBrah
No. Bunch of idiots.

Why are they idiots? Protests such as this have already achieved successes and in Germany, renewable energy co-operatives have been set up. Meanwhile, New York's Mayor has already pledged to overhaul the energy efficiency standards of all its public buildings and will pressure landlords to do the same.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by viddy9
Gagging to do anyway? Is that why, for the past 25 years, governments have allowed carbon dioxide emissions to rise year on year, and why, in 2013, emissions rose at their fastest rate for 30 years?

I'm not sure which world you've been living in, but the politicians on planet Earth are incredibly reluctant to make any significant changes to combat global warming: the Kyoto Protocol was non-binding and its targets, on our current course, won't be reached. The 2009 Copenhagen conference, similarly, achieved nothing, and global warming deniers are actually pleased with today's world leaders, including Obama, for not taking any action on the issue. Indeed, on top of the fact that fossil fuel companies have been using hundreds of millions of dollars to fund global warming denial, they've also got plenty of politicians, particularly in the United States, in their pockets. And, in the UK, David Cameron appointed a global warming denier as his environment secretary, while giving tax breaks to fossil fuel companies.

And, you see no people's movement? Is that why marches have occurred in 156 countries over the past day, and why people from Indigineous communities are at the forefront of the march?

EU diktats galore and the 2008 Climate Change Act not good enough for you? The thing was drafted by Friends Of The Earth...

I'm also not sure what this 'indigenous communities' rubbish is about. Fact is that the organisers are hard-left and anti-capitalist pressure groups and the marches have drawn embarrassingly few participants. You can find hippies in every country.
EU diktats galore and the 2008 Climate Change Act not good enough for you? The thing was drafted by Friends Of The Earth...

I'm also not sure what this 'indigenous communities' rubbish is about. Fact is that the organisers are hard-left and anti-capitalist pressure groups and the marches have drawn embarrassingly few participants. You can find hippies in every country.

It's a worldwide necessity and whilst in some ways the UK and the EU are doing well, in others they aren't. The climate change issue won't go away just by hoping that big business will somehow take care of it (they won't) or that it's made up by lefties and Trots. (It wasn't and it isn't.)

You are welcome to your views but the purpose of my posting was simply to remind people of the events, if you aren't interested, that's fine, but you are basically wasting your time trying your nonsense on people who know the facts.
Reply 8

The EU and Britain are doing better than most, but:
a) CO2 emissions continue to increase across the world - which is why this march is a global issue, not a national one.
b) the issue of climate debt has not been resolved - Britain and other developed nations still bear a lot of responsibility for global warming, which is affecting those who have barely contributed to it.

The indigenous communities issue concerns the fact that fossil fuel companies are trying to use land which is already used by indigenous communities to exploit Earth even further, often without their consent and with devastating impacts on sustenance, if they are actually allowed to go through with it in the end - indigenous communities have, in some cases, been successful in thankfully ensuring that fossil fuel companies can't exploit their land. Further, the issue of climate debt also concerns the indigenous communities.

I'm not sure about your assertion that embarrassingly few people turned up. The organisers were expecting around 100,000 people in New York, and it looks like they got more than that, which makes it the biggest single climate march in history. 2808 marches in 166 countries, I'd say, counts as a people's climate march. In any case, anti-capitalists and far-leftists are still people (much to the disappointment of pro-exploitation, pro-capitalist and corporate activists, I'm sure.) However, the notion that there's a big enough pro-equality movement in 166 countries to garner this kind of support is pretty far-fetched: the participants are simply scientifically literate people who care about humanity and the Earth.

And, characterising everyone who takes part as a 'hippie' isn't particularly rational. There will be some hippies, of course, but you're far too hasty in your generalisations.
(edited 9 years ago)
No one cares about these tree-hugging hippies.
Original post by The Dictator

Pfft, yeah!

****ing trees!

Who the hell needs them?

Where are all the banners saying "I love paying green taxes, please take even more of my money"?

I see no peoples movement, just all the usual far-left NGOs and fake charities out to promote and enrich themselves at everyone else's expense, accompanied by a scattering of fellow travellers from the hippie and homosexual camps.

Rubbish.

Governments are not gagging to do anything about climate change - they do not want to do anything about it because it would require a lot of effort, and business as usual is easier and doesn't upset corporate donors who bankroll all the main political parties. Then you have climate change deniers who give governments the excuse they so desperately want to delay or stop action altogether. Most governments are very reluctant to do anything about the problem.

I would be more than happy to pay more taxes for the environment, as long as it actually went to the environment. However, more taxes on large oil companies would surely be a good idea? Green taxes actually account for a tiny % of an energy bill.

Do you have any evidence to support the accusations in the last paragraph? Climate change is not a left vs right wing issue, it's a scientific issue. If you think charities are "enriching themselves" then perhaps you ought to report them to the charity commission for abusing their funds - the reality is any money raised goes to their charitable objectives. Same goes for if you think they are being political - which charity commission rules also restrict.

This idea that climate change is somehow a left wing vs right wing issue is pure fantasy which climate change deniers have been trying to push so they can build up a stronger support base. The attempts to create political polarisation on the issue can be laid 100% at the feet of climate change deniers and groups.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Dictator

Polls consistently show that more people prefer renewable energy to fracking - so clearly plenty of people care about the issues and share their opinions on things like green energy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending