The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aula
Mmm, could be that one I guess.
Or maybe my thought that episodes this season were going to link back to a previous one was just wrong.

Or... maybe only episodes with Missy in will obviously link back :holmes:
(or I may just be being hopeful now)

Ahhh there were links to Bells of St John and the first official Clara one (phone ringing, no-one has the number etc.)
I thought this was an ok episode - It was really more of a filler than an episode that gave us more info on missy. I found it a bit confusing as did the doctor actually go to the woman at the end and give her what she asked for? I didn't really understand it to be honest but I did enjoy si and would love to have him feature again. I think I am going to hate next week's episode as it's focused on Clara and her love story which I don't mind but would rather not have an entire episode focused on it. I can already predict that Pink is going to be confused about how clara is always disappearing and then when she stops hanging around with the doctor to spend time with him, the doctor is going to get a job at her school where there is for some strange reason a monster. Pink is at the end going to discover the tardis and the doctor and join them on their travels after they defeat the monster. I presume it will follow that ind of storyline although I really hope that I am wrong because I would rather there be an amazing plot twist to salvage the season! I do like capaldi but I just stull don't see him as the doctor - he hasn't really helped save anyone in any of the recent episodes and I know he is apparently meant to be the darker doctor but I'm sure no matter how far the doctor goes he would always try to save someone. Also, I think Clara and the doctor need to separate more; Capaldi is much better without her - but I may be biased since i don't really like Clara. She would probably be my worst companion from the new who, with Donna being my favorite!
I thought that was poor tbh :frown:
Original post by Teddysmith123
I thought this was an ok episode - It was really more of a filler than an episode that gave us more info on missy. I found it a bit confusing as did the doctor actually go to the woman at the end and give her what she asked for? I didn't really understand it to be honest but I did enjoy si and would love to have him feature again. I think I am going to hate next week's episode as it's focused on Clara and her love story which I don't mind but would rather not have an entire episode focused on it. I can already predict that Pink is going to be confused about how clara is always disappearing and then when she stops hanging around with the doctor to spend time with him, the doctor is going to get a job at her school where there is for some strange reason a monster. Pink is at the end going to discover the tardis and the doctor and join them on their travels after they defeat the monster. I presume it will follow that ind of storyline although I really hope that I am wrong because I would rather there be an amazing plot twist to salvage the season! I do like capaldi but I just stull don't see him as the doctor - he hasn't really helped save anyone in any of the recent episodes and I know he is apparently meant to be the darker doctor but I'm sure no matter how far the doctor goes he would always try to save someone. Also, I think Clara and the doctor need to separate more; Capaldi is much better without her - but I may be biased since i don't really like Clara. She would probably be my worst companion from the new who, with Donna being my favorite!

Not having it. Nobody can be as bad as Martha. Nobody. :unimpressed:
Original post by Aula
It was obvious from too early on that the Doctor was the architect, so no big surprise when he realised it himself.

Did this episode have any previous episode links? I couldn't see anything obvious, but was wondering whether I'm just forgetful.

As GEG has said the Minotaur is the stand out, but also Hide with the "monster is only doing what it is to find it's partner" twist?

I quite enjoyed it tbh - Heist movies are generally quite a fun romp, but I was disappointed that it ended up in one of the attempts to be complex - where the doctor breaks in so he can break in again later, so he can give the owner his number so she can set up the break-in, but it was generally a decent bit of filler.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Not having it. Nobody can be as bad as Martha. Nobody. :unimpressed:

Yes but the good thing about martha was she was only present for one season! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really enjoyed that. This series has been fairly 'meh' for me so far and that was the first exciting one. The Teller was a much, much better version of the Minotaur, but having an episode with such a similar episode is a bit questionable. I maintain that Moffat episodes tend to focus on psychological enemies and time gimmicks way too much.
Reply 3867
I loved that episode - then again I am always one for the futuristic Doctor Who episodes.
Reply 3868
I think the ironic thing is that this episode was probably the first episode with the least amount of moffatisms in it, despite been set in the future
good fun episode :smile: I thought the architect might be the Doctor from the start :tongue: definitely his kind of thing to do!
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Meh, didn't cover how the Doctor had managed to get in to put those cases in etc.

I would imagine that the boss lady told him when she called? the only thing he wouldn't have known how to do was open the final vault, which is why he needed it to be when the solar storm happened
Original post by Teddysmith123

Yes - I'm pretty sure that what she asked for was for the heist to be set up so that the creature could get to its partner. I took it that her regret (as she says in the call that she has regrets) was locking away the creature's partner...
Original post by snowyowl
Yes - I'm pretty sure that what she asked for was for the heist to be set up so that the creature could get to its partner. I took it that her regret (as she says in the call that she has regrets) was locking away the creature's partner...

Oh ok got it thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually quite liked that episode. I worked out the fact that the Architect was the Doctor about halfway through, but I found the episode to be enjoyable. The only thing that they didn't explain was why couldn't they use the Tardis at a different time e.g. a week before the storm hit; however this also explains how the cases got into the bank.
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard
I would imagine that the boss lady told him when she called? the only thing he wouldn't have known how to do was open the final vault, which is why he needed it to be when the solar storm happened

Except how could he have got it in box that needed to be breath activated?
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Except how could he have got it in box that needed to be breath activated?

that one I don't know :redface:
I've been very impressed by Peter Capaldi so far. :smile: Episodes 4 & 5 have been really good and I don't feel they would have worked as well with the previous doctors as Capaldi brings the more serious/dark edge to them. Episode 2 was decent & I enjoyed episode 1 after the terrible first 20 minutes or so. Episode 3 wasn't really my thing but then I never really like the episodes set in the past with a famous figure as a main character so that wasn't surprising.

But overall quite a strong season so far. :smile:
Appartently there will only be 12 episodes this series? What the Frei? That would suggest the Christmas special is no. 13. What are they doing?
Original post by SirMasterKey
Appartently there will only be 12 episodes this series? What the Frei? That would suggest the Christmas special is no. 13. What are they doing?

to be fair the first episode was basically two in one (double length) & the christmas special is normally longer than normal ones as well, so technically it's like 15/16 normal episodes worth of the show, all in the space of a few months, which I much prefer to waiting 6 months for specials or small blocks of episodes!
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard
to be fair the first episode was basically two in one (double length) & the christmas special is normally longer than normal ones as well, so technically it's like 15/16 normal episodes worth of the show, all in the space of a few months, which I much prefer to waiting 6 months for specials or small blocks of episodes!

Oh yes, first episode was 1.5 hours! That will be it. Don't mind me....

Quick Reply

Latest