The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Everton losing 3-1 at home to Crystal Palace, how hilarious. Merseyside derby should be a cracker next week then.
Spurs lost
United lost
Everton are losing 3-1
Chelsea and city are drawing 0-0

Disappointed that we didn't win, but we're somehow still a point ahead of united and Everton and a point behind spurs

That's actually really good considering how badly we're played so far.
Our fixtures we have coming up aren't terrible either - don't know how we aren't miles behind
Only arsenal/city/Chelsea look deserving of a CL spot so far

EDIT: chelsea winning 1-0 so if games finish as they are, points for top rivals are as follows:
chelsea = 15
arsenal = 9
city= 7
spurs = 7
liverpool = 6
united = 5
everton = 5

chelsea 6 points clear after 5 games; how can they not win the league if they carry on like this?
(edited 9 years ago)
Everyone elses poor form means we are getting away with our own poor form, lucky that we're not falling behind. It's been a chaotic and unpredictable start to the season for a lot of the top 7 teams.

Will be exciting if/when we start firing on all cylinders, we may hopefully pull away from United a bit by December if they stumble due to their bottom heavy fixture list.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by manchesterunited15
You seriously gonna act like the ref wasn't to blame? :biggrin:

Maybe for one goal, but Leicester scored five.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Maybe for one goal, but Leicester scored five.

We wouldn't have gone all out attack at 3-2 up would we lol
We wouldn't have gone all out attack at 3-2 up would we lol

That doesn't mean you wouldn't have conceded, especially looking at that defence. Ref had an effect on the game but that happens to everyone, not everyone concedes 5 when it does.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by So Instinct
That doesn't mean you wouldn't have conceded, especially looking at that defence.

We were 3-1 up and cruising. Then a wrong decision changed the game. Sure there's a chance we would've lost anyway but it's pretty unlikely isn't it, so it's safe to say the ref was to blame (not denying we were **** at the back).
We were 3-1 up and cruising. Then a wrong decision changed the game. Sure there's a chance we would've lost anyway but it's pretty unlikely isn't it, so it's safe to say the ref was to blame (not denying we were **** at the back).

Perhaps. I'd still have banked on them to score at least a goal, which if had a similar effect on the game could have let them back in.
Perhaps. I'd still have banked on them to score at least a goal, which if had a similar effect on the game could have let them back in.

Maybe, but the injustice of the goal seemed to make the effect worse than a regular goal. We were rattled and conceded again straight away.
Maybe, but the injustice of the goal seemed to make the effect worse than a regular goal. We were rattled and conceded again straight away.

After our away game at Palace I've learned not to write anything off if you have a bad defence :lol:
After our away game at Palace I've learned not to write anything off if you have a bad defence :lol:

memories :moon:
Everyone elses poor form means we are getting away with our own poor form, lucky that we're not falling behind. It's been a chaotic and unpredictable start to the season for a lot of the top 7 teams.

Will be exciting if/when we start firing on all cylinders, we may hopefully pull away from United a bit by December if they stumble due to their bottom heavy fixture list.

exactly; i know we're a little downbeat right now but imagine if everybody else was playing at the level we expected?
we're extremely lucky that united/everton/spurs (even city) are still a few points either side of us - they really should be a long way clear tbh.

i'm not gonna say that soton or swansea or villa are gonna get near top 4 though - they've had a good stasrt but we're 5 games in to a 38 game season
higher quality teams will always prevail over a full season.

i agree - we're literally playing <30% right now
when we get back on track we'll be winning easy games and maybe giving a few surprises in the big ones
united will find their feet so their heavy fixture list that you mention will definitely help us out towards the end of the year

injustice makes it much worse.
it makes you feel like even though your defence was terrible, you could've seen the game out and hung on for the points.
in reality you and i both know that united were not winning that game whether the referee made those harsh calls or not.
it's just easier to blame the ref than it is to accept the severe shortcomings of your team.
Original post by Lúcio

injustice makes it much worse.
it makes you feel like even though your defence was terrible, you could've seen the game out and hung on for the points.
in reality you and i both know that united were not winning that game whether the referee made those harsh calls or not.
it's just easier to blame the ref than it is to accept the severe shortcomings of your team.

Lol what? A team that was 3-1 up with 30 minutes when the game was changed by a wrong decision was never going to win the game?
Lol what? A team that was 3-1 up with 30 minutes when the game was changed by a wrong decision was never going to win the game?

if you had a defence like chelsea, fair enough
but your defence is awful - leicester werev scoring goals regardless.

fair play if it's a solid defence - a bad decision can give the other team an opening they were never gonna get
but leicester were gonna have chances regardless
it really could've ened 7-3 if they weren't messing with you by the end.

i understand how frustrating it is for a dubious refereeing decision to haunt you when you were leading
but your defence are so inept, so amateur that i'm not sure you'd have won the match anyway.
Original post by Lúcio
if you had a defence like chelsea, fair enough
but your defence is awful - leicester werev scoring goals regardless.

fair play if it's a solid defence - a bad decision can give the other team an opening they were never gonna get
but leicester were gonna have chances regardless
it really could've ened 7-3 if they weren't messing with you by the end.

i understand how frustrating it is for a dubious refereeing decision to haunt you when you were leading
but your defence are so inept, so amateur that i'm not sure you'd have won the match anyway.

Up until the decision, we were fine and well on course to win. Afterwards, we looked completely different and went on to lose. I think it's reasonable to assume that had the decision not been made, we would've continued in the manner we had been and won the game. We wouldn't have switched to the way we actually played after the decision for no reason whatsoever.
(edited 9 years ago)
You seriously gonna act like the ref wasn't to blame? :biggrin:

He was to blame for the soft penalty ... but besides that, he was just fine.
Up until the decision, we were fine and well on course to win. Afterwards, we looked completely different and went on to lose. I think it's reasonable to assume that had the decision not been made, we would've continued in the manner we had been and won the game.

Liverpool were 3 nill up against Crystal Palace, you would think its game over but look what happened. You can never assume you would of comfortably won the game with 30 minutes to go.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samir12
You could've said the same thing when Liverpool were 3 nill up against Crystal Palace, look what happened then.

You were throwing everything forward to try to improve your goal difference. We weren't and would have attempted to see the game out, attacking as normal but without constantly bombing forward.

Also the fact that games like the 3-3 vs Palace are so rare shows that even if it was the same situation, chances are the losing team wouldn't come back.

You can never assume you would of comfortably won the game with 30 minutes to go.

Not saying it's an absolute 100% guarantee, but it's by far the most likely option when 2 up with 30 mins to go.
(edited 9 years ago)
You were throwing everything forward to try to improve your goal difference. We weren't and would have attempted to see the game out, attacking as normal but without constantly bombing forward.

Also the fact that games like the 3-3 vs Palace are so rare shows that even if it was the same situation, chances are the losing team wouldn't come back.

Not saying it's an absolute 100% guarantee, but it's by far the most likely option when 2 up with 30 mins to go.

30 minutes is enough for one goal out of nowhere, Palace scored their first goal out of nowhere, Leicester could of done the same. I agree you were most likely to see the game out but you should blame the loss on your defence for crumbling against Leicester after the penalty, they are not Real Madrid ffs.
Original post by samir12
30 minutes is enough for one goal out of nowhere, Palace scored their first goal out of nowhere, Leicester could of done the same. I agree you were most likely to see the game out but you should blame the loss on your defence for crumbling against Leicester after the penalty, they are not Real Madrid ffs.

It's 2 goals out of nowhere they would have needed. I'm not saying the defence aren't to blame but the ref is too.

Quick Reply

Latest