The Student Room Group

2015 Nursing Applications - Where? Which Branch?

Scroll to see replies

Hey xx
I am applying for Adult Nursing at York, Kings, John Moores, City and South Bank XD
Extremely nervous as finished first draft of Personal Statement but its too long and don't know what to take out,
Also I'm on BTEC Extd in H&SC but i did A-Levels in my first year, will this put off unis?
Also does anyone know what the Literacy and Maths test are like?
Thanks xx
Reply 81
Original post by thebreaker
Hi..I want to do nursing.. And I'm doing my A levels right now... I'm confused about what subjects to do,
Biology,health and social care, psychology... Are these right and enough subjects to go to Uni and do nursing.
Also little info about entry requirements

Those are good subjects to show enough interest in nursing, check the university's you are interested in and see what grades they want you to achieve, usually 240 to 300 ucas points, although im not too sure on that.
From when I applied a grade C + in GCSE maths was a must, so if you don't have that then you could resit now.
You need to demonstrate a passion for the area of nursing you are interested in, so voluntary or paid work in health care is beneficial.
And keep up to date with the latest nursing news and research as you will be asked in university interviews to give your own views on them.
Reply 82
Original post by xsamina_
Hi im hoping to apply for nursing this year my grades are CDE... Is it essential I get work experience in a care home? Ive worked in a pharmacy, and done voluntary work nd organised a charity event,

What subjects did you do? I think that only adds up to 180 UCAS points and most nursing courses want over 240+ UCAS points.
When I finished my A levels 7 yrs ago I had enough UCAS points to do nursing but the requirement went up.
Most people do an access to nursing course which universities accept, which is usually like going to college again. I couldn't commit to that so did 'Health and social care' with the open uni for 1 year, which meant I could be accepted.
As long as your voluntary work can relate to nursing you should be ok with that.
But I'd speak to the university's you are interested in and ask what they are looking for.
Reply 83
[Q
E=Rednov8;50300231]What subjects did you do? I think that only adds up to 180 UCAS points and most nursing courses want over 240+ UCAS points.
When I finished my A levels 7 yrs ago I had enough UCAS points to do nursing but the requirement went up.
Most people do an access to nursing course which universities accept, which is usually like going to college again. I couldn't commit to that so did 'Health and social care' with the open uni for 1 year, which meant I could be accepted.
As long as your voluntary work can relate to nursing you should be ok with that.
But I'd speak to the university's you are interested in and ask what they are looking for.
I got a C in sociology, D in English lit, E in chemistry, U in biology. ... I can relate my pharmacy work experience to it as it is a health care setting. Thanks for your help
What work experience is good if you apply for adult nursing? I'm in such a rush I haven't even started my personal statement and have hardly any work experience 😭😭😭 someone help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by Sadia akthar
What work experience is good if you apply for adult nursing? I'm in such a rush I haven't even started my personal statement and have hardly any work experience 😭😭😭 someone help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Care home or hospital experience
Reply 86
at college we were told hca at a hospital or other care assistant work was best as its close to nurses.

Im just starting to think about my personal statement now. I havent got a clue what i should put. We were told things to include at a uni open day. But iv no idea how to word it. Eg.why do I want to be a nurse. I dont have a specific reason. And I dont think "coz I wanna" will be good enough :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,

I am going to be applying for Adult Nursing at York, Bradford, Leeds Met, Chester and either Oxford Brookes or Anglia Ruskin.

Very excited to be applying and really hope I get in on my first try! Does anyone know when the interviews will be starting?

I have booked onto some open days so I'm really looking forward to finding out more about the universities and each course.

When is everyone aiming to have their UCAS applications in for?

I wish everyone luck with their applications!
Reply 88
Hi, I'm currently studying Maths, Economics and Psychology and I'm in my A2 year with predicted grades A*A*B.
I've being looking into various options and have became interested in Midwifery.
I was wondering how realistic it would be in getting onto the midwifery course with no relevant experience and no science a levels?
Original post by smea
Hi, I'm currently studying Maths, Economics and Psychology and I'm in my A2 year with predicted grades A*A*B.
I've being looking into various options and have became interested in Midwifery.
I was wondering how realistic it would be in getting onto the midwifery course with no relevant experience and no science a levels?

Most universities will want you to have some sort of experience and a possibly science a level, however psychology is accepted sometimes.

I would look on the websites of universities as they will state what they are looking for, but i would try and get some work experience for midwifery whilst you can
Reply 90
The uni near me ask for people to have a science qualification. But check the uni close to.you for entry requirements.
Experience would be good though. Doesnt have to be within midwifery, but you need to be able to say how the experience is linked to midwifery. You could volunteer at baby+parent groups, prenatal groups or in hospitals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys

I applied for adult nursing last year and got accepted at UWE but I had to defer my application for September 2015.

Who is thinking of going to UWE??
Hey Guys :smile:
I am not applying for Nursing this year however, I applied for Adult Nursing last year and didn't receive any offers, so I just wanted to offer my advice and guidance to you that Nursing is very very very competitive, so make sure you all have a strong personal statement that will make you shine above the rest. I have learned from my mistakes of this year and I am reapplying for a different course however, I wanted to pass on some words of wisdom to you guys from someone who tried, failed and learned, to make sure you don't make the same mistakes I did. My downfalls included: How I wrote my personal statement, my choice of course (changed my mind now) and the number of unis I applied to!

It may be obvious, but on your personal statement make sure you have relevant work experience, voluntary work and extra cirricular activities to get you those offers because grades, are only half the battle. Last year, I had two work experience placements, two volunteering placements, the Gold DofE award and EC's however,it still wasn't enough. Do not write in detail about a future work experience placement that you have lined up (which is what I did for one of mine) because I was told afterwards that unis do not like to see this. Also, if you are struggling to get work experience or voluntary work because WE in particular can be very difficult to obtain, there are other options out there that are available to you, which you could use as work experience. You could try shadowing nurses at a Hospital or if this fails, you could inquire as to whether there is a volunteer programme at your local hospital (could be general, mental health, paeds whatever) (most hospitals have them) this could count as either vol or WE, additionally, you could try volunteering at a Nursing home or a hospice. Another alternative is to sign up with the Nursing Bank and become a Health Care Assistant in a Nursing Home, the nursing bank is a 0 hours contract, so you can work full time in the Summer holidays and not work at all during exam period - perfect! I wish I had done this last year!

Another piece of advice I'm going to give you, is look at previous personal statements, to get an idea of how it should be written or done (This was my biggest down fall last year), make sure you reflect on your work experience, talk about the skills you gained or the skills you observed and how they relate to Nursing! If you are going to do Children's Nursing, Mental Health Nursing or Learning Disability Nursing volunteer at a creche, a mental health charity (such as the Alzheimer's Society or mind) or a Learning Disability Unit! There are loads of things available to you, you just need to go out and find it. Also, a side note, if you are doing Children's Nursing remember, it is just as much about working with the parents as it is with the children, something to bare in mind when writing your personal statement

Additionally, make sure you use up all 5 choices of uni, another of my down falls from last year, I only applied to four unis! Do not underestimate how competitive nursing is, no matter how good your application may be, apply for "back up" unis if you have to! And Finally, (sorry for the long post by the way) if you are doing Nursing, make sure it is definitely the right career for you, make sure it is something you are passionate about, something you could talk about at interview with great passion and enthusiasm, make sure you have researched the career thoroughly and you know the best and the worst parts of nursing and make sure that you are going to be OK, with those parts. As a nurse, no matter what branch, you are going to see some horrible and gruesome sights and often have to clean up those sights, that includes blood, urine, faeces! You're going to see, smell and clean it all! You;re going to have patients who are going to scream, yell and abuse you, if you are sensitive soul, this may be something you may want to take into consideration before applying to any health care course! But overall, enjoy it, if Nursing really is for you, I hope you enjoy your future careers and I hope you all get into your firm choice uni :smile: Just be prepared.

Any other questions about applying to university for Nursing or if you want any advice feel free to give me a shout either on here or PM me, I will be happy to answer any of your questions. :smile: Good Luck :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone :smile:
I'm applying for nursing this year hopefully! I'm interested in Southampton for dual field Adult and Child, Oxford Brookes for Child and Mental health, Birmingham for nursing, UEA for child then 1 other, possibly Kings but still looking!
I'm a bit worried because of my AS grades. For GCSE I got 3A*s and 7As but AS was ACCD in Art History, Biology, Spanish and Chemistry :/ I have some volunteering work and work experience that will help and am a young carer myself. Good luck everyone!
Original post by alice_c_97
I'm applying for nursing this year hopefully! I'm interested in Southampton for dual field Adult and Child, Oxford Brookes for Child and Mental health, Birmingham for nursing, UEA for child then 1 other, possibly Kings but still looking!
I'm a bit worried because of my AS grades. For GCSE I got 3A*s and 7As but AS was ACCD in Art History, Biology, Spanish and Chemistry :/ I have some volunteering work and work experience that will help and am a young carer myself. Good luck everyone!

I wouldn't worry too much about the grades, if you can pull one of the Cs to a B overall then ABC is equivalent to the BBB most nursing courses want :smile: I'm looking at Southampton for the dual as well, there are no more open days till July though :frown:
Original post by Muggins95
I wouldn't worry too much about the grades, if you can pull one of the Cs to a B overall then ABC is equivalent to the BBB most nursing courses want :smile: I'm looking at Southampton for the dual as well, there are no more open days till July though :frown:

Thanks, should be able to (hopefully!) I think I'm being predicted A*BB just hope I can achieve them :smile: It sounds amazing! I know, I couldn't go to the earlier ones now I'm wishing I had gone. At some point I'm going to ring and ask how many places there are on the dual Adult and Child and how many applicants per place but I'm too nervous atm! Good luck, possibly see you at Southampton :wink:
Does anybody have 240 ucas points? I got BCD and finding it hard to find any uni that will accept it. I am doing a placement in a hospital next month and have just started a new job as a sales assistant so hopefully work experience wont be a problem. Applied to midwifery last year but got no offers :frown:
Reply 97
Original post by Jessie113
Does anybody have 240 ucas points? I got BCD and finding it hard to find any uni that will accept it. I am doing a placement in a hospital next month and have just started a new job as a sales assistant so hopefully work experience wont be a problem. Applied to midwifery last year but got no offers :frown:

I had 240 ucas points which was enough 7 years ago when I did my A levels. And now when I applied this year with other care qualifications on top of a levels and 6 years care experience, some universities said my qualifications wasn't enough. I was also doing first year of an open uni degree in health.
With all that I only got interviews from Edge hill, manchester met and chester. Chester offered me a place only if I passed the open uni year 1. Which I did. I start march 2015 now.

You could just apply and show you are compassionate enough, or maybe do further qualifications or re-sits.
Good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LouieSax
Hey Guys :smile:
I am not applying for Nursing this year however, I applied for Adult Nursing last year and didn't receive any offers, so I just wanted to offer my advice and guidance to you that Nursing is very very very competitive, so make sure you all have a strong personal statement that will make you shine above the rest. I have learned from my mistakes of this year and I am reapplying for a different course however, I wanted to pass on some words of wisdom to you guys from someone who tried, failed and learned, to make sure you don't make the same mistakes I did. My downfalls included: How I wrote my personal statement, my choice of course (changed my mind now) and the number of unis I applied to!

It may be obvious, but on your personal statement make sure you have relevant work experience, voluntary work and extra cirricular activities to get you those offers because grades, are only half the battle. Last year, I had two work experience placements, two volunteering placements, the Gold DofE award and EC's however,it still wasn't enough. Do not write in detail about a future work experience placement that you have lined up (which is what I did for one of mine) because I was told afterwards that unis do not like to see this. Also, if you are struggling to get work experience or voluntary work because WE in particular can be very difficult to obtain, there are other options out there that are available to you, which you could use as work experience. You could try shadowing nurses at a Hospital or if this fails, you could inquire as to whether there is a volunteer programme at your local hospital (could be general, mental health, paeds whatever) (most hospitals have them) this could count as either vol or WE, additionally, you could try volunteering at a Nursing home or a hospice. Another alternative is to sign up with the Nursing Bank and become a Health Care Assistant in a Nursing Home, the nursing bank is a 0 hours contract, so you can work full time in the Summer holidays and not work at all during exam period - perfect! I wish I had done this last year!

Another piece of advice I'm going to give you, is look at previous personal statements, to get an idea of how it should be written or done (This was my biggest down fall last year), make sure you reflect on your work experience, talk about the skills you gained or the skills you observed and how they relate to Nursing! If you are going to do Children's Nursing, Mental Health Nursing or Learning Disability Nursing volunteer at a creche, a mental health charity (such as the Alzheimer's Society or mind) or a Learning Disability Unit! There are loads of things available to you, you just need to go out and find it. Also, a side note, if you are doing Children's Nursing remember, it is just as much about working with the parents as it is with the children, something to bare in mind when writing your personal statement

Additionally, make sure you use up all 5 choices of uni, another of my down falls from last year, I only applied to four unis! Do not underestimate how competitive nursing is, no matter how good your application may be, apply for "back up" unis if you have to! And Finally, (sorry for the long post by the way) if you are doing Nursing, make sure it is definitely the right career for you, make sure it is something you are passionate about, something you could talk about at interview with great passion and enthusiasm, make sure you have researched the career thoroughly and you know the best and the worst parts of nursing and make sure that you are going to be OK, with those parts. As a nurse, no matter what branch, you are going to see some horrible and gruesome sights and often have to clean up those sights, that includes blood, urine, faeces! You're going to see, smell and clean it all! You;re going to have patients who are going to scream, yell and abuse you, if you are sensitive soul, this may be something you may want to take into consideration before applying to any health care course! But overall, enjoy it, if Nursing really is for you, I hope you enjoy your future careers and I hope you all get into your firm choice uni :smile: Just be prepared.

Any other questions about applying to university for Nursing or if you want any advice feel free to give me a shout either on here or PM me, I will be happy to answer any of your questions. :smile: Good Luck :smile:

So true!! Eventhough I started this thread i've had an awful job as a healthcare assistant where people were swearing at me so i've decided i'm gunna do a sociology degee and then decide as atm i'm not a very hard person. I completley agree with you as some people do not get a clear idea of what nursing is like! You need to be a type of person that is quite hard and can deal with a lot of this! I think i remember you on the threads last year as I didn't get any offers for child nursing last year but i'm so so glad i didn't as decided i didn't want to do that anymore!

What are you doing now? Good luck with your future studies, even if it's not down the nursing route :smile:
Reply 99
Original post by alice_c_97
I'm applying for nursing this year hopefully! I'm interested in Southampton for dual field Adult and Child, Oxford Brookes for Child and Mental health,

Im also applying at Southampton. I went to the open day a couple weeks ago. The dual field looks great. I spoke to a couple people there that are doing it. They were the first people to do dual at Southampton. They said there was ony 12 places per dual course!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending