The Student Room Group

Bow Tie or Normal Tie?

I'm going to my uni ball this Friday and was adamant from day one that I will wear a bow tie, just feels right. Also, I feel that the black skinny tie is so overworn nowadays, especially to these types of events.

So, I was wondering what you all think. Bow tie or neck tie to formal (non-black tie) events?

PS. Wearing this beauty of a bow
(edited 9 years ago)
bow tie, git 'er done
Original post by bobsta10
I'm going to my uni ball this Friday and was adamant from day one that I will wear a bow tie, just feels right. Also, I feel that the black skinny tie is so overworn nowadays, especially to these types of events.

So, I was wondering what you all think. Bow tie or neck tie to formal events?

PS. Wearing this beauty of a bow

If it's a black tie event, you wear a bow tie (preferably black).
Reply 3
Bowties can be more formal (as in, black-tie or white-tie), or they can be less so (think, psychiatrist, tweedy professor). If you're moving away from the semi-formal and formal uniforms, it's a somewhat more eccentric choice. But that's not to say that you can't find one with the right level of formality and dash.

I have no idea what the expected look at your event will be, but make sure it all works in context. Suit and shirt as well as the specific tie chosen will be important. If it is a black-tie event, of course, you can come close to faking it with a black (or very dark) suit and white shirt to go along with the black bowtie.
Reply 4
Original post by tehforum
If it's a black tie event, you wear a bow tie (preferably black).

Yeah, I know the code for a black tie event, this one isn't hence the bow tie chosen.

Original post by Camilli
Bowties can be more formal (as in, black-tie or white-tie), or they can be less so (think, psychiatrist, tweedy professor). If you're moving away from the semi-formal and formal uniforms, it's a somewhat more eccentric choice. But that's not to say that you can't find one with the right level of formality and dash.

I have no idea what the expected look at your event will be, but make sure it all works in context. Suit and shirt as well as the specific tie chosen will be important. If it is a black-tie event, of course, you can come close to faking it with a black (or very dark) suit and white shirt to go along with the black bowtie.

Yeah I'm definitely not going for the nutty professor look!

From past years, it seems to be a mix of ties vs. bow ties (majority with ties). Yeah, it's not a black-tie event so no worries on the suit. Just wanted to do something different to the norm.
Yeah, I know the code for a black tie event, this one isn't hence the bow tie chosen.

Yeah I'm definitely not going for the nutty professor look!

From past years, it seems to be a mix of ties vs. bow ties (majority with ties). Yeah, it's not a black-tie event so no worries on the suit. Just wanted to do something different to the norm.

Then specify the type of the event accurately.
Depends if you want to look like a gay hipster or not.
Reply 7
Then specify the type of the event accurately.

Done.
Reply 8
Original post by XMaramena
Depends if you want to look like a gay hipster or not.

I'm guessing you are pinning the gay hipster label to the bow tie option?

what suit are you wearing it with

When it's baby blue with white dots? Yes.
Reply 11
what suit are you wearing it with

At the moment, black suit, white shirt. But not 100% sure yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by XMaramena
When it's baby blue with white dots? Yes.

Righto.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

take a pic

I'm sure it's fine
Bow-tie; although unless you're at least moderately swarthy of complexion, the example in question will look absurd.
Normal tie... Slim tie.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Black suit, white shirt, black skinny tie? Don't. You'll look like you're a waiter, or at a funeral, or you're really boring.

Preferably go for grey/navy/brown suit. If you have to do black, then get a solid colour shirt and coloured/patterned tie.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest