The Student Room Group
Reply 9860
Original post by leinad2012
I'd have thought Sanogo will be put up front, Poldi on left wing is a shout considering Wenger only puts left footed players on left wing and Cazorla and Ozil will probably be rested. It'll be either Poldi or Campbell on left wing.

Rosicky at CAM?

My guess would be:

Ospina
Bellerin Chambers Kosc/ Merta Monreal

Flamini Wilshere

Sanchez Rosicky Poldi/ Campbell

Sanogo/ Campbell

Even though Sanchez was rested over the weekend, I don't think he'll be a starter. He'll come on during the game I'm sure but I think Ox will get the nod, considering Sanchez is more likely to be picked over him for the game vs spurs
Reply 9861
He isn't because he's never played in the champions League, who are the most feared striekrs in the world? Ronaldo, Messi, Costa, Ibra, players who proved themselves in the champions league. If he performs this year in CL then he'll get his reward in terms of recognition

has he not been doing it on an international stage for some time now?

has he not been England's best no.9 for some time now?

has he not been statistically one of Liverpool's best strikers of all time, ahead of Torres when he was considered the most feared?

I think you've confused what I was trying to say, and mixed up best and feared. The feared players are the ones who can be a nightmare to play against because of things like their pace etc. (an interesting point raised on monday night football, where the point was raised that professionals hate playing against Agbonlahor)

and btw what exactly did James Rodriguez do in the champions league again to warrant that fee?

and strong luls at Messi and Ronaldo strikers :lol:; Costa too has never proved to be a dangerous player himself, I would say he is a system player, who played very effectively in that particularly system.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278

yes he's never played in the competition before :rolleyes:

again stop talking nonsense about sturridge. Falcao hasn't proven himself since 2010 in the champions league and he wasn't even that amazing then but people still say he's the best no.9 in the world so why is it suddenly a different story for sturridge who for the past 20 or so months has been outdoing Falcao with ease?

Sorry, forgot about at Chelsea, but 16 games and 2 goals in champions league shows he isn't PROVEN when it comes to performing in the champions league...
Original post by SHOO
Even though Sanchez was rested over the weekend, I don't think he'll be a starter. He'll come on during the game I'm sure but I think Ox will get the nod, considering Sanchez is more likely to be picked over him for the game vs spurs

True, can't really think of anyone else on right wing other than ox who'd take his place, if Wilshere is still tender I could see ox at CM like last season though

Will walcott be back for Spurs?
Sorry, forgot about at Chelsea, but 16 games and 2 goals in champions league shows he isn't PROVEN when it comes to performing in the champions league...

But he has been playing on the wing, or on as a striker in a substitute appearance which is what I've been saying.

Also Falcao has not played in the CL since 2010. Had 2 good seasons in La liga but bare that has been in crappy portuguese and french league.

Sturridge is one of the best strikers in the world atm when fit.
I don't find the particular pictures funny btw, but I'm sure some do. It was intended for a laugh, not a racist remark.

Anyways, saying black players don't get rated as much as white players is a ridiculous statement. Talent is talent, at the end of the day. We all rate Yaya Toure when he's on form, we also rate Sturridge when he's on form. Is Sturridge as good as the likes of Suarez, Ibrahimovic, Costa etc.? No, not yet. 20 goals in a season won't change that, he needs to get into the 25-30 goals a season to get recognised around Europe.
Original post by jam278
I don't want to go in this argument again but Sturridge played on the wing or as a sub striker for majority of his games at Chelsea and if you check his goals to minute ratio it's very high despite not getting games at Chelsea.

I've followed sturridge for years so I know this, someone like SUG can post you the details but over Sturridge's whole career he is 7th in the goals to minute ratio in the prem so clearly he wasn't a bad player at Chelsea. Also top goalscorer.

I get you here.

If you're black you can easily play the racist card here, showing a picture of a young african kid who's butt naked and posting gorilla pictures of Kolo Toure is racist to the bone. The white trash stuff is generally made by white people anyway, not to say that it's not a racist thing to do but majority of the time these stuff are done by white people.

It's not a small minority if you look at his days by italy being booed constantly by opposition for the colour of his skin. I can see why he's not right in the head tbh.

I'll accept what you say about Sturridge, his goals to games wasn't great but he made lots of sub appearances which boosts his goals per min ratio up to decent standard but he's definitely seen as one of the best now no matter what you say.

I meant in the UK, Italy is known for being seriously racist same as east Europe, not surprising when you think Berlesconi was their Prime Minister
Reply 9867
True, can't really think of anyone else on right wing other than ox who'd take his place, if Wilshere is still tender I could see ox at CM like last season though

Will walcott be back for Spurs?

Nah he'll be back in full training by then. He'll probably be eased into the first team by the first week or two of oct tbh. It's peak because he'll probably miss the Chelsea game too & we could really do with him for that game. Having said that though, I'd rather give Chelsea three points than make Walcott's injury worse, and to lose him for a few more months
Original post by swarly
has he not been doing it on an international stage for some time now?

has he not been England's best no.9 for some time now?

has he not been statistically one of Liverpool's best strikers of all time, ahead of Torres when he was considered the most feared?

I think you've confused what I was trying to say, and mixed up best and feared. The feared players are the ones who can be a nightmare to play against because of things like their pace etc. (an interesting point raised on monday night football, where the point was raised that professionals hate playing against Agbonlahor)

and btw what exactly did James Rodriguez do in the champions league again to warrant that fee?

and strong luls at Messi and Ronaldo strikers :lol:; Costa too has never proved to be a dangerous player himself, I would say he is a system player, who played very effectively in that particularly system.

Best for one season is now classed as "quite some time"
He's viewed as a top player in England but not abroad where he hasn't proven himself against their teams, same as how Ibra wasn't classed as at Messi or Ronaldo level in England until his overhead kick against england
with jam entirely on the last few pages..

But back to the football, for the cup game I would love to see:

new GK
Belerin - Chambers - kos - Monreal(if fit)
Flamini - Wilshire
Rosiky
Ox - Welbeck - Campbell

Something along those lines.. reasns being:

new GK needs some time..
I would like to see chambers being given time at CB, as i really feel he has the potential to replace mert, in the near future..
Monreal, because gibbs is so prone to injuries these days, he is not worth the risk (if monreal is fit)

Flamini + wilshire, because ramsey needs a rest..

Rosiky deserves a game in his best position, and ozil could do with a break.. Cazorla could play here, and I would be cool with that, but just want to see rosiky given a start.

Front three mainly because OX should have a bigger role in the team, Campbell MUST play, if not, just sell the guy and get it over with..

And welbeck because I think he needs goals more then rest. Get that confidence up and hit the net for a 2nd game in a row.. much more useful to him right now then a break, he hand plenty of rest on the united bench.
Original post by jam278
But he has been playing on the wing, or on as a striker in a substitute appearance which is what I've been saying.

Also Falcao has not played in the CL since 2010. Had 2 good seasons in La liga but bare that has been in crappy portuguese and french league.

Sturridge is one of the best strikers in the world atm when fit.

So, he wasn't playing in the right position at Chelsea and therefore didn't get recognition, hence why he's only now been seen as a top striker? Thanks for backing up my previous statement...

I personally don't rate Falcao that highly, leaves to Monaco and it almost ****ed his entire career up
Original post by SHOO
Nah he'll be back in full training by then. He'll probably be eased into the first team by the first week or two of oct tbh. It's peak because he'll probably miss the Chelsea game too & we could really do with him for that game. Having said that though, I'd rather give Chelsea three points than make Walcott's injury worse, and to lose him for a few more months

He needs to be given time to recover with Sanchez also playing on right wing there is no need to rush him back into the team.

Tbh I can see him being played as a super sub to add pace late on rather than a starter, he won't take Sanchez place or Welbecks and Wenger NEVER plays right footed players on left wing
Reply 9872
Original post by fallen_acorns
with jam entirely on the last few pages..

But back to the football, for the cup game I would love to see:

new GK
Belerin - Chambers - kos - Monreal(if fit)
Flamini - Wilshire
Rosiky
Ox - Welbeck - Campbell

Something along those lines.. reasns being:

new GK needs some time..
I would like to see chambers being given time at CB, as i really feel he has the potential to replace mert, in the near future..
Monreal, because gibbs is so prone to injuries these days, he is not worth the risk (if monreal is fit)

Flamini + wilshire, because ramsey needs a rest..

Rosiky deserves a game in his best position, and ozil could do with a break.. Cazorla could play here, and I would be cool with that, but just want to see rosiky given a start.

Front three mainly because OX should have a bigger role in the team, Campbell MUST play, if not, just sell the guy and get it over with..

And welbeck because I think he needs goals more then rest. Get that confidence up and hit the net for a 2nd game in a row.. much more useful to him right now then a break, he hand plenty of rest on the united bench.

Ah it's the capital one cup. Don't be suprised to see man like Zalelem get a run too lolol
Ahh ffs. I'm black (half) myself -_-
When I say it people get emosh but when its others it's OK. However, I see where some are coming from.
I'm not going to get into an argument with anyone because I quite frankly don't have the time, quote me with a sense of argumentativeness and I simply won't respond. I've taken it off as a gesture of apology but seriously no need for a heated argument between certain people, end of. Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyways, bar Coventry, when was the last time we were drawn a club from the lower leagues?

We always seem to get premier league opposition.
Reply 9875
If you didnt rate Ibra before he scored an overhead kick in a friendly match you're an idiot.
Reply 9876
He needs to be given time to recover with Sanchez also playing on right wing there is no need to rush him back into the team.

Tbh I can see him being played as a super sub to add pace late on rather than a starter, he won't take Sanchez place or Welbecks and Wenger NEVER plays right footed players on left wing

Welbeck
Sanchez Ozil Walcott
Ramsey Arteta

^ Would like a dream. It's the perfect line-up with the players we have IMO. (this is when Walcott is fit to be a starter)

Then Cazorla, Ox, Wilshere could be impact subs, or can be used for rotation (if we stay in all comps by Jan then my lord will we need rotation lol - at this rate we'll be playing twice a week.
Reply 9877
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Anyways, bar Coventry, when was the last time we were drawn a club from the lower leagues?

We always seem to get premier league opposition.

In general? I think the season before last in the Capital one cup, when Bradford banged us lololol :rolleyes:
Reply 9878
Original post by SHOO
Welbeck
Sanchez Ozil Walcott
Ramsey Arteta

^ Would like a dream. It's the perfect line-up with the players we have IMO. (this is when Walcott is fit to be a starter)

Then Cazorla, Ox, Wilshere could be impact subs, or can be used for rotation (if we stay in all comps by Jan then my lord will we need rotation lol - at this rate we'll be playing twice a week.

I think Ozil-Wilshere on a 60-30 minute time split is what Wenger needs to do, to help get the best out of both parties for the whole season.
So, he wasn't playing in the right position at Chelsea and therefore didn't get recognition, hence why he's only now been seen as a top striker? Thanks for backing up my previous statement...

I personally don't rate Falcao that highly, leaves to Monaco and it almost ****ed his entire career up

No, it's because of Torres. Like I've said many times, Torres was a parasite to our club, I'm happy he's gone, wish we just put him in the reserves tbh.

He got good recognition on the wing as he was our top goalscorer in the prem in 11/12 season playing out of position.

Fair play with Falcao, I agree with you as well. Was great for Atlético though.

Latest