The Student Room Group
Original post by SHOO
In general? I think the season before last in the Capital one cup, when Bradford banged us lololol :rolleyes:

That's just tragic and unbelievable bad luck. So since then we've been drawing premier league teams? (With the exception of Coventry) only positive is that most if not all have been at home.

Hope we give Campbell a shout for tomorrow!
Reply 9881
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
That's just tragic and unbelievable bad luck. So since then we've been drawing premier league teams? (With the exception of Coventry) only positive is that most if not all have been at home.

Hope we give Campbell a shout for tomorrow!

Yeah pretty much

Me too, I really hope we see Ospina too
Original post by SHOO
Ah it's the capital one cup. Don't be suprised to see man like Zalelem get a run too lolol

Love giving youngsters a try, and would like to see a few more of them play more games..

But I am not one of those who does not value the league cup..

Honestly, our team is still comparativly quite young, and fairly lacking in a consistant winning attitude..

I would really love to win the CC this year.. anything to keep the winning form from last season continuing, and keep the feeling that each year the players can win silverwear..

I fully dont expect wenger to do this.. but I would love him to take the cups really serriously this year.
Original post by SHOO
Welbeck
Sanchez Ozil Walcott
Ramsey Arteta

^ Would like a dream. It's the perfect line-up with the players we have IMO. (this is when Walcott is fit to be a starter)

Then Cazorla, Ox, Wilshere could be impact subs, or can be used for rotation (if we stay in all comps by Jan then my lord will we need rotation lol - at this rate we'll be playing twice a week.

The issue is Arteta, slowed down over the last season to say the least, reports of Khedira in Jan on caughtoffside today, but after this summer there's no way I'm believing that.

We need to strengthen defence in Jan massively to allow Chambers into CDM where I think he'll excel
Original post by jam278
No, it's because of Torres. Like I've said many times, Torres was a parasite to our club, I'm happy he's gone, wish we just put him in the reserves tbh.

He got good recognition on the wing as he was our top goalscorer in the prem in 11/12 season playing out of position.

Fair play with Falcao, I agree with you as well. Was great for Atlético though.

Seriously Jam wtf are you actually arguing about? First you say he didn't get the recognition he deserved at Chelsea and isn't viewed as a top striker in Europe, I said it's because he hasn't got a good record in Europe and didn't get the goals per game raatio needed when on the wing. You then say it's because he was played on the wing and I agreed and now you're saying he was recognised when playing on wing, going back on your first complaint. Make your ****ing mind up!! :wink:

Falcao has been getting by on name for the last 2 seasons tbh glad we agree on that!
Original post by leinad2012
Seriously Jam wtf are you actually arguing about? First you say he didn't get the recognition he deserved at Chelsea and isn't viewed as a top striker in Europe, I said it's because he hasn't got a good record in Europe and didn't get the goals per game raatio needed when on the wing. You then say it's because he was played on the wing and I agreed and now you're saying he was recognised when playing on wing, going back on your first complaint. Make your ****ing mind up!! :wink:

Falcao has been getting by on name for the last 2 seasons tbh glad we agree on that!

Not really, he was recognised to an extent but not to a top level, that's what i mean.
yeah he hasn't done much in europe, still think people judging sturridge at the time to not be a top player(or potentially come one) were pretty myopic.

Yeah he has easily. Guys done imo.
Reply 9886
Original post by fallen_acorns
Love giving youngsters a try, and would like to see a few more of them play more games..

But I am not one of those who does not value the league cup..

Honestly, our team is still comparativly quite young, and fairly lacking in a consistant winning attitude..

I would really love to win the CC this year.. anything to keep the winning form from last season continuing, and keep the feeling that each year the players can win silverwear..

I fully dont expect wenger to do this.. but I would love him to take the cups really serriously this year.

He should do because realistically, we will only win either the FA cup or the Capital One cup. Can't see us challenging for the league and can't see us exceeding the quarters in the CL.

I agree, to keep the winning mentality going provides the perfect platform to build on (if we make the right signings in the summer :rolleyes::rolleyes:) for next season. Then we can actually hold on to a 2-1 lead vs city and the emirate too.

Zalelem has shown a lot of promise, as has Bellerin so it'll be good to keep it going but I'd rather they be bought on when we've pretty much sealed a win rather than starting. We need to win trophies and this season the only real shot at them would be the Capital one cup and perhaps retaining the FA. That + a third place finish + CL quarter finals would be a season that I would be happy with
Reply 9887
The issue is Arteta, slowed down over the last season to say the least, reports of Khedira in Jan on caughtoffside today, but after this summer there's no way I'm believing that.

We need to strengthen defence in Jan massively to allow Chambers into CDM where I think he'll excel

After how this summer went, I don't even trust BBC.. caughoffside is just lol

I'm a bit sceptical about Chambers as a CDM. Purely as an anchor man, he'll be great and can possibly develop into a beast but going forwards he's a bit.. meh. I do admire him a lot and rate him really highly but going forwards he doesn't really show too much, even for his age. As an anchor man, alongside Ramsey he should be a perfect fit though.

Tbh, I've lost all hopes in our transfer windows. I've always been so optimistic but nothing ever seems to go to plan lol. Best thing to do is just to take them as they come now and just hold no expectations from Arsene.

Edit: Also, I don't particularly wanna see a Phil Jones situation with Chambers either..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
Not really, he was recognised to an extent but not to a top level, that's what i mean.
yeah he hasn't done much in europe, still think people judging sturridge at the time to not be a top player(or potentially come one) were pretty myopic.

Yeah he has easily. Guys done imo.

He was kind of like Adam Johnson is now when Sturridge was at Chelsea; just left City after be hot prospect and sitting on the bench and now putting in the performances without his name still being as rated (Zaha and Scott Sinclair being in the first phase of that), at least Sturridge is becoming a top striker now.
He was kind of like Adam Johnson is now when Sturridge was at Chelsea; just left City after be hot prospect and sitting on the bench and now putting in the performances without his name still being as rated (Zaha and Scott Sinclair being in the first phase of that), at least Sturridge is becoming a top striker now.

Yeah pretty much this.

Although if you map a curve of him and diego costa, they've undergone similar careers at similar times. Hopefully he becomes a top striker. Got a few years ahead of him, have a feeling he's got a slight level to add to his game that he can add.

Anyway speaking of Daniel pleased Welbeck scored. Should give him some confidence, LVG made a mistake with him tbh. United have no pace in the team other than Di Maria and Welbeck offers that option.
Original post by SHOO
After how this summer went, I don't even trust BBC.. caughoffside is just lol

I'm a bit sceptical about Chambers as a CDM. Purely as an anchor man, he'll be great and can possibly develop into a beast but going forwards he's a bit.. meh. I do admire him a lot and rate him really highly but going forwards he doesn't really show too much, even for his age. As an anchor man, alongside Ramsey he should be a perfect fit though.

Tbh, I've lost all hopes in our transfer windows. I've always been so optimistic but nothing ever seems to go to plan lol. Best thing to do is just to take them as they come now and just hold no expectations from Arsene.

Edit: Also, I don't particularly wanna see a Phil Jones situation with Chambers either..

tbh honest what we need is a CDM who isn't strong going forward, Song was great when he was slotting balls in for Van Persie and covering the midfield but started pushing too far up and it just lost the balance of the team. I think him Raamsey and Wilshere/ Ozil in the midfield in 2 yers time would be immense, Chambers is only 2 months older than Bellerin but 10x the player, our best buy of the transfer window by a long way imo.

The last window wasn't bad, I just wish Arsenal wouldn't release how much cash we have stored up, because we aren't going to spend it all in one season (contray to what some people on here believe) and it just makes the papers print out endless articles linking us to EVERY good player in any position where we don't have like 4 back up players
After a very long time, I'm making a brief comeback to this site (don't know for how long, it's just that it's winter time and I'm a bit bored haha).

The last time I posted properly we'd just sigend Giroud, and I seem to be in a minority of fans who are actually very pleased with what he has done at the club - sure he doesn't score as many as you'd like but his link up play is superb and a key factor in Ramsey's excellent development.

Southampton tomorrow night is a tricky (but not overly so) test - they have a small squad so I'd expect to be playing against a number of their academy players (Gallagher/Isgrove etc) and a good chance to give our fringe players a run out. I'd like to see:

Ospina/Martinez

Bellerin Hayden Chambers Gibbs

Flamini Rosicky

Zelalem

Campbell Podolski Cazorla
Reply 9892
Welbeck needs to score vs spurs on the weekend. It's all good having a first goal but continuing that form in front of goal is what will really supplement his confidence. THEN he will really be off the mark, and will feel a whole lot better in front of goal.

I don't really think its the first goal that matters as much in someone's career, its the ability to continue scoring.
Original post by marcusmerehay
After a very long time, I'm making a brief comeback to this site

:hi:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9894
Honestly I forgot we even had Giroud
Hard to care about the Southampton game with the derby looming. Want to see the squad being used effectively and some good performances from players who have a point to prove.
I say we start Rosicky for the derby, tactics. :colone:
Reply 9897
I'm making thread again. SOME ONE VOLUNTEER
OMG an Arsenal Thread! :biggrin:
First day at the forum and finding about a group of gunners and not some study freaks totally made me smile!!

Besides that, I was SO PUMPED over AFCvAVFC yesterday (for me, it was yesterday). For someone who has been rooting Özil from the start, it felt really great to see his confidence boosted.
hmm, would volenteer to do a thread if I had a decent amount of time.. because well, were I to do one, it would have to be epic. and epic-ness takes time

Latest