The Student Room Group

Medicine or Dentistry?

I really need a whole load of opinions on what I should do.I have been given an opportunity to apply to a scheme which will help me get onto either Medicine or Dentistry. The application deadline is in a few weeks so I have to make a decision pretty quick.
Up until a few weeks ago I was certain I wanted to be a medic, but now, as I near applying to a scheme, I'm having doubts of whether I REALLY want to go into medicine. My dad has always wanted me to be a medic and my mum, a dentist, so now I'm stuck. Dentistry would be an ideal subject I would take into uni because it's not as intensive and I would prefer that. (My sibling has just started dentistry this year btw) But at the same time, I would also like to become a doctor and actually feel as if I've made it to the top and all my hard work will have paid off.
I've weighed up the pros of both but it's the cons that are pulling me back. How labour intensive it is, how demanding it is, all the determination that's needed etc for medicine and the cons for picking dentistry would be my dad wants me to be a medic.
At heart I would love to become a medic but also I would love to become a dentist too.
I've got opinions off doctors and dentists and the common thing they say is "do you want a 9-5 job or not?" I actually do want a 9-5 , no night shifts, no on call etc but do I give up being a DOCTOR for that?
Basically I'm scared as I have no idea ������
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Go with your heart tbh but personally I'd go for Dentistry :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest