The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by turn-to-page394
:smile: Danke -(I don't take german actually...:colondollar:)

Ohh that's also dutch ^_^ thought u could help me learn :frown:(
Original post by vd12345
My mocks are in mid-late nov ^_^ and I have less homework but have to revise A LOT (all of year 10 science again because I had bad teachers and messed about) and I do art so its so much coursework.

Urg I feel your pain, I do photography and I regret taking it so so much! I wish I had done business 😓
Original post by dream_and_wish
Urg I feel your pain, I do photography and I regret taking it so so much! I wish I had done business í*½í¸“

Regret taking art :frown:
Original post by vd12345
Regret taking art :frown:

For Alevel I am going to be smart and only take subjects that I actually enjoy, am good at and need in the future so that's like Chem, biology and maths! Can't handle arty stuff 😂
Chem, biology and maths!

Add RS and you got my prefered As level selection
At a level I plan to take maths, physics, computer science then either another science(probabaly chemistry), economics or history. I would prefer to take another science of economics, but my brother is saying its good to take one art as it shows employers and universitys that im "well rounded"
Original post by vd12345
Add RS and you got my prefered As level selection

Yeah, for my fourth even though I like RS I will probably go for english Lang lit or psychology :smile:
Original post by SidTheSloth1
At a level I plan to take maths, physics, computer science then either another science(probabaly chemistry), economics or history. I would prefer to take another science of economics, but my brother is saying its good to take one art as it shows employers and universitys that im "well rounded"

Yeah, it shows that your not just good at one set of subjects, yeah? That's why I think my fourth alevel will be english :smile: does anyone know if we will still be able to drop one as we are the first year doing the two year alevel course arnt we?
Yeah, it shows that your not just good at one set of subjects, yeah? That's why I think my fourth alevel will be english :smile: does anyone know if we will still be able to drop one as we are the first year doing the two year alevel course arnt we?

Yeah we drop one, I'm assuming english? I'm dropping RS. Just doing it cos I start now :wink: so no point changing
Original post by kishette
ALOHA TO Y'ALL!!!! :bigsmile:
I'm currently in yr11, and going to a very ACADEMICALLY bad school. I love it there, but the teacher's aren't very helpful, and they defo wont help me get an A* :frown:

I got an A* in core science last year, but the learning was pretty unorganised and I pretty much studied nothing but science. This year won't be the same.

So any tips for self-studying? I do:

English Lang., Literature, French, History, Business Studies, Humanities, Additional Sciecne, Maths.

Thanx in advance for your help. :bunny: Here have a cookie:cookie:

For English language, just do past paper after past paper! (Getting marked of course- so you know if you're doing it right) read through several marks schemes too, and practice the skills needed for each question. I did mine last year and got an A*. :smile:

I haven't done any others yet but for maths I suggest you just work your way through the textbook, making notes on everything you need to know, and use a work book to practice the questions. (If you maths textbook is huge, like mine, and there's WAY too many questions, then just do two or three of the easier, medium and harder questions for each topic. That's what they make us do t school, and it seems to work). Do lots of past papers starting after (around) Christmas. See where you're going wrong and try to correct those questions prior to exam leave, and then when you leave just more and more past papers!

Good luck, hope it all goes well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SidTheSloth1

That rather assumes that universities want "well rounded". If you have a look at entrance requirements for specific courses in the UK, you'll see that universities, generally speaking, want students to have done subjects that are related to the course. We want you to be good at the subject you're going to be studying. Subject requirements do vary across different universities, but broadly speaking for compsci courses, unis are looking for/recommend Maths/Further Maths, physics, and sometimes computing. But it's worth looking at the requirements for courses you want to apply for. (Note: American universities tend to have a quite different approach.)

I'd also suggest taking subjects that * you * are interested in and will do well at.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
That rather assumes that universities want "well rounded". If you have a look at entrance requirements for specific courses in the UK, you'll see that universities, generally speaking, want students to have done subjects that are related to the course. We want you to be good at the subject you're going to be studying. Subject requirements do vary across different universities, but broadly speaking for compsci courses, unis are looking for/recommend Maths/Further Maths, physics, and sometimes computing. But it's worth looking at the requirements for courses you want to apply for. (Note: American universities tend to have a quite different approach.)

I'd also suggest taking subjects that * you * are interested in and will do well at.

May I ask, what if your school doesn't offer further maths, what other alternatives will put you on the same level as the ones doing further maths? I'm definitely considering CompSci as well as some engineering courses :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trihawk7
May I ask, what if your school doesn't offer further maths, what other alternatives will put you on the same level as the ones doing further maths? I'm definitely considering CompSci as well as some engineering courses :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi.

Computing is a mathematical subject, especially in the way we approach it at Oxford. So we want candidates to have developed their ability in mathematical thinking. We recommended Further Maths as the best preparation for our CS courses, but we do understand that some students don't have the opportunity to take it which is why it's not a requirement. (If so it's helpful if your referee can tell us if you've not had the opportunity to do it, rather than that you'd had the opportunity but chosen not to take it.) There isn't another A Level that we would see as equally as relevant useful. (If you haven't found it already we talk about subject choice here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/why_oxford/standard_conditional_offers.html)

You might consider self-studying the FM course (even if you can't take the exams), or getting in touch with the Further Maths Support Programme - http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/
There are other ways that you can practice your Maths and develop your skills. Although we don't include STEP in any offers we make, some students find doing it useful.

Hope that helps.

PS if you're still unsure about subject choice how about coming along to our lesser-spotted sciences event on 9th October? www.cs.ox.ac.uk/LesserSpottedScienceDay/ You can do session in CS and Engineering plus lots of other sciences too.
(edited 9 years ago)
So.. How was everyone's day at school today?
I managed to complete my maths exam last year now I have to do additional math which is like 😭. I already asked NY head if I can drop it she said no r any of u aloud to drop it ???
Original post by Hecate99
x

I have to do further maths, but have option of doing additional or not. I guess if you did bad in GCSE maths they'd let you drop, but I'm assuming you did well?
Original post by vd12345
So.. How was everyone's day at school today?

Fun, but rather busy. Had to do stupid English past papers - no fun.
And yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SampleX
Fun, but rather busy. Had to do stupid English past papers - no fun.
And yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Individual and form Photos ^_^ missed two periods.. :wink:) Man had that fresh trim
Original post by vd12345
Individual and form Photos ^_^ missed two periods.. :wink:) Man had that fresh trim

My school tried to take a whole school photo with 1200 people (the sixth form did theirs separately) and it took over 2 hours :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tryrevise
My school tried to take a whole school photo with 1200 people (the sixth form did theirs separately) and it took over 2 hours :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whole school photo.. That's some funny ****

Latest