The Student Room Group

Do you value the capital one cup?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YesAllMen
Don't think he's in agreement with what you say though; he doesn't value it whereas you do :colondollar:. And you're getting annoyed at me calling it by it's sponsor name whereas I'm guessing he means the idea that it's constantly rebranded by different names showing they don't care what it's called too much.

He doesn't have to be, he is making the same point.

Not many sites report it or call it the Gazprom CL though do they? Unlike the capital one cup. Do you hear managers mentioning Gazprom? Sky Sports? BBC? Nope. Whereas it's very common for the other cup to be called by it's sponsor name. Their fault for devaluing it then?

Go on any club's honours list and it's the League Cup. Capital One is just a sponsor.
Original post by The Shed End
I know, I was being sarcastic with the QPR bit, but they should be doing better and having spent over £50 million even on their defence they should have no excuse. Blind is a good CB yet they don't play him there, they bought three LB yet don't use a formation that uses one and he's playing Rojo over Shaw who they spent £30 million on.

Our only other DM is utterly useless, so Blind will be playing there every game this season until we can strengthen the position further.

I'm starting to wonder if Shaw was a Van Gaal signing. Obviously he approved the deal, but the deal was virtually done before he arrived and i've seen no indication that he rates him. The concerns about his fitness didn't exactly help.
Nah, Real are. Funny how you're fans always go on about number of trophies to Liverpool fans, but ignore statistics when saying things like you have more 'fans' than clubs like Real.

Wall Street Valuations:

Manchester United - $3.6billion
Real Madrid - $3.44billion
Barcelona - $3.22billion

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/07/15/wall-street-says-manchester-united-most-valuable-team-in-world-after-adidas-deal/

Average Shirt Sales Per Year*:

Manchester United - 1.4 million
Real Madrid - 1.4 million
Barcelona - 1.15 million

*based on the last five years.

Source: http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2012/10/08/exclusive-manchester-united-and-real-madrid-top-global-shirt-sale-charts-081001/

Most Supported Football Club**

Manchester United - 354m
Barcelona - 270m
Real Madrid - 174m

Source: http://talksport.com/magazine/big-picture/2011-10-13/worlds-most-popular-football-club-revealed-man-united-liverpool-arsenal-barca-real-or-chelsea?p=12

**Research by the German company SPORT+MARKT has revealed an estimation of how many supporters each club has around the world. A sample of 1,000 people from 34 countries.
(edited 9 years ago)
Citing a TalkSport article as a source? The barrel is being scraped ladies and gentlemen.
Shirt sales mean nothing. I've got a Rangers shirt but I'm not a Rangers fan.

Got a Birmingham City shirt too :eek:.

And yeah Talk****e is hardly a good source.
Citing a TalkSport article as a source? The barrel is being scraped ladies and gentlemen.

Original post by Wilfred Little
And yeah Talk****e is hardly a good source.

TalkSport were quoting the research results of SPORT+MARKT.

Please learn to read.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Manchester United
**Research by German company SPORT+MARKT has revealed an estimation of how many supporters each club has around the world. A sample of 1,000 people from 34 countries.

You're honestly citing that sample size as legitimate information? It's like those ''which uni students have the most sex'' surveys, utterly pointless.
Original post by sr90
You're honestly citing that sample size as legitimate information? It's like those ''which uni students have the most sex'' surveys, utterly pointless.

I underlined estimation to reflect that there is a great deal of inaccuracy. It's very hard to judge the number of supporters because we need to define what a supporter actually is first. It would be incredibly difficult to get an adequate sample size.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Manchester United
I underlined estimation to reflect that there is a great deal of inaccuracy. It's very hard to judge the number of supporters because we need to define what a supporter actually is first. It would be incredibly difficult to get an adequate sample size.

Then why are you prancing around as if it's an undeniable fact?
Reply 29
Original post by Wilfred Little
He doesn't have to be, he is making the same point.

You're saying im pathetic for calling it that and i'm the one devaluing it (doesn't really make sense), whereas looking at his I don't think it's the same

Go on any club's honours list and it's the League Cup. Capital One is just a sponsor.

sure. that's the official name. But it's often just reported as the sponsor name (i.e http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Aug/Manchester-United-learn-Capital-One-Cup-second-round-opponents.aspx, unlike the CL which isn't called the Gazprom CL or whatever. Therefore, I'm not the one devaluing it.
Then why are you prancing around as if it's an undeniable fact?

I'm not. I'm saying that it's incredibly difficult to state the number of supporters.
Reply 31
Original post by Green_Pink
Absolutely. It's a trophy, a day out at Wembley, and a root into Europe. As well as in the earlier rounds often cheap tickets,good atmospheres and a chance to see lots of younger players and plenty of goals.

Living in Milton Keynes I can definitely agree to this.
Beating Man U 4-0 was an amazing experience :smile:
Definitely. If you don't support a Premier League team, it's one of the only chances you'll get to occasionally see a big side at your stadium.
Of course - it's been devalued somewhat by bigger teams not really giving a **** about it, but at the same time it's a trophy, and a european spot. If I was offered the FA Cup or the League cup, I'd go for the FA Cup every day of the week, but that doesn't mean it's not a trophy worth winning.
Proper teams have never cared about the League Cup (please don't call it by the sponsor's name!) in all the time I've been following football.

The incentive to care about the League Cup and FA Cup is that the winners get to play in Europe. For teams who already have a solid expectation of qualifying for Europe via the league - and there's even more up for grabs via the league now than there used to be - of course they're not going to care.

When making executive decisions you have to remember that the league has four Champions' League berths out of 20, but the League Cup only one Europa League berth out of 92.

So the tipping point for caring should be when a team has a less than 1 in 92 chance of finishing in any of the top four league positions. With a little attenuation on the basis that the top Premier League teams won't field strong sides in the League Cup, and a lot of attenuation on the basis that the money-driven Premier League era has made the top four positions very tough to break into, I would say that puts the threshold at about what you might expect, i.e. the bottom 12-ish teams in the Premier League and downwards fielding strong sides.

The FA Cup does retain a certain romantic cachet due to the fact that it's the single oldest footballing trophy in the world, while the League Cup was dreamed up as recently as 1960. It was during an era when the number of games per season was ballooning, and Wikipedia says the better clubs considered it a waste of time from the very start.
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't care much for any domestic cup apart from the PL tbh. I mean it's a nice accolade to have but I'd rather be 4th then win it.

Win PL>2nd/3rd>4th>FA Cup> Other cups>5th.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 36
I value it in terms of it's a trophy. But, I think top four clubs should use it to blood youngsters. Baffles me how mid-table clubs don't take it seriously - you see teams like Hull and Southampton fielding weaker teams. It's a great chance of a trophy for them - they should be going for it. Day out at Wembley etc.

As a Liverpool fan, I'd place Capital One Cup behind Premier League, Champions League and the FA Cup.

I don't think the fact it ends mid-season helps its prestige, though.
Original post by Mackay
Baffles me how mid-table clubs don't take it seriously - you see teams like Hull and Southampton fielding weaker teams. It's a great chance of a trophy for them - they should be going for it. Day out at Wembley etc.

As a Liverpool fan, I'd place Capital One Cup behind Premier League, Champions League and the FA Cup.

I don't think the fact it ends mid-season helps its prestige, though.

Whilst I agree with the theme of your point, Birmingham City would be a case in point of winning the LC and league form going cack. Even mid-table teams would prefer results in the PL than a trophy. If a team has a decent enough sized squad then they should be able to do both. Spurs are a good example - I believe they rested players for the Europa on Thursday but still lost yesterday.
Original post by scrotgrot
Proper teams have never cared about the League Cup (please don't call it by the sponsor's name!) in all the time I've been following football.

A good post on the whole, but 'proper teams'?

Everton, Spurs, Aston Villa are not proper teams?

Taking them for any Accrington or Woking.

(Last time I checked Woking were in the conference so couldn't play in it, mate's mom is a supporter but you get the point)
Original post by Aky786UK
Whilst I agree with the theme of your point, Birmingham City would be a case in point of winning the LC and league form going cack. Even mid-table teams would prefer results in the PL than a trophy. If a team has a decent enough sized squad then they should be able to do both. Spurs are a good example - I believe they rested players for the Europa on Thursday but still lost yesterday.

But that's a rarity - usually the LC winners end up doing fairly well in the league - I think it's something like 2 winners in the last 15 that have then gone down. The threat of a cup run on league form is greatly overstated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest