The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hold My Liquor
The truth, Deshi, is that the only way you can keep players off those clubs is money and trophies.

And we're going through a bad few weeks right now, but Rodgers is dat guy still.

None of our players will be at threat next summer anyway.

I haven't lost faith in Rodger's and I think he could still be dat guy to win the title for us finally, yeah I think he could be a bit more tactful in the transfer market but he has a vision and philosophy that clearly works (last season we saw that), it's just building a squad that can do that. This isn't even a knee-jerk, even nearing Rafa's end when Alonso and Mascherano left you just got that feeling that we're a bunch of nearly men unable to sustain a good period of success because as soon as we develop our players to that level they just leave

None of our players will be a threat next summer because none of them are at that level yet, but if Sterling keeps up his form and keeps improving you just know he will be a target sooner rather then later if we don;t challenge for the league and win trophies.
If Lambert doesn't start tomorrow, questions have got to be asked about why we've even signed him.

Lovren cost 20, Mangala cost a reported 30+ but with shady payments taking it upto 40+, not really in the same ball park.

Anyway we have our Mangala, only Brendan seems incapable of making a good player out of Sakho.

I know but when he comes in looking solid like that I'd rather have just bought 1 35m defender then 2 15-20m ones who look ****e. We really don't spend our money effectively, not like we couldn't have coughed up an extra 10m anyway.

It will never happen anyway, against our spending ethic and that. The club would rather try turn Lovren into a 30m defender then to outright buy one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by So Instinct
I know but when he comes in looking solid like that I'd rather have just bought 1 35m defender then 2 15-20m ones who look ****e. We really don't spend our money effectively, not like we couldn't have coughed up an extra 10m anyway.

It will never happen anyway, against our spending ethic and that. The club would rather try turn Lovren into a 30m defender then to outright buy one.

The same way they bought an English striker who had one good half a season for £35 million?
none of your players will be underthreat if you make CL,

But if you dont, then a few might look to jump ship...

Only player, I can tihnk of that would really be in demand is sterling..

Sturridge is great, but to full of injuries.. sterling though, if he keeps up his current form, its just a matter of time until one of the really wealthy clubs takes a fancy to him.. I dont follow foreign leagues that much, but he is easily the most promising young attackign player in the UK at the moment, and he will be heavily in demand.

You guys have the cash to keep him I would think, atleast for a few years, but CL will be on his young mind.. and if you dont get that, would he be tempted to invest his playing time elsewhere?
Original post by The Shed End
The same way they bought an English striker who had one good half a season for £35 million?

Who said buying English and buying after 1 good season?
Same logic can be applied to strikers anyway, buy Costa for 32m and watch him pull up roots or buy Balo who while doesn't look bad isn't exactly doing a Costa...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mackay
If Lambert doesn't start tomorrow, questions have got to be asked about why we've even signed him.

i agree
i understand that rodgers wants to give borini the odd game to prove himself but surely by now he must know just how useless that man is.

lambert isn't a world beater but he's still not a bad addition to our squad
i know he'll mainly be used an an impact sub but it's a little harsh not to give him a full game every so often
there's only so much the man can do in the last 5 minutes of every match; this cup game would be the perfect time for him to bag his first goal for us.
Reply 2807
Original post by jam278
What happened to Moreno is a dodgy fullback?

Anyway Markovic has barely started at all. Same with Emre Can. Looking at it Liverpool need to gel, he can't just draft all the new signings in one game, look how that worked out against Aston Villa. When they gel then Markovic can get a run of games. Him and Sterling flanking Sturridge/Balotelli allows for good rotation. I think Markovic will still hit it off this season, but you won't see the best of him yet.

Moreno is a dodgy fullback. He's good offensively though, and well worth a squad place. Same as he's always been. [Rojo is a dodgy fullback too] Btw, bring it on about yesterday. Well deserved. (Not that the ref, linesman and everything else didn't conspire against us. Our subs were ****ing horrific too.)
Original post by Mackay

Rodgers has just confirmed Lambert will start.

Hopefully he'll score a few. :yy:
Original post by samba
Moreno is a dodgy fullback. He's good offensively though, and well worth a squad place. Same as he's always been. [Rojo is a dodgy fullback too] Btw, bring it on about yesterday. Well deserved. (Not that the ref, linesman and everything else didn't conspire against us. Our subs were ****ing horrific too.)

Fair play. Yeah got screwed over with the goal but Mark Clattenburg is a terrible ref.

Hopefully Shaw will get in the team so people will see the shaw vs Moreno comparisons properly. Same for Filipe.
Reply 2810
Original post by jam278
Fair play. Yeah got screwed over with the goal but Mark Clattenburg is a terrible ref.

Hopefully Shaw will get in the team so people will see the shaw vs Moreno comparisons properly. Same for Filipe.

First goal was out of play too. Could so easily have been 3-0 with them down and out, plus falcao's crossbar. Still, zero excuse for a collapse like that from 3-2 to 5-3, even with those goals. The subs were absolutely pointless and any trolling from you guys/liverpool fans would be well ****ing deserved.

And yea, not entirely sure why Rojo is starting as a fullback instead of Shaw with Evans/Smalling in DC :confused: We'll see.
BR confirms Lambert will start tomorrow. Henderson to be assessed, Coutinho out with injury (possibly why he wasn't on the bench on Sat).
Looking forward to heading to Anfield tomorrow.
Original post by samba
First goal was out of play too. Could so easily have been 3-0 with them down and out, plus falcao's crossbar. Still, zero excuse for a collapse like that from 3-2 to 5-3, even with those goals. The subs were absolutely pointless and any trolling from you guys/liverpool fans would be well ****ing deserved.

And yea, not entirely sure why Rojo is starting as a fullback instead of Shaw with Evans/Smalling in DC :confused: We'll see.

Tbh I'm only trolling because of the reaction from yesterday, also at Old_Simon trying to say that United have done well defensively this season and I said you haven't had a test yet, as soon as that happens your defence will be exposed. Surprise surprise he's nowhere to be seen. Least you're taking the hit so fairplay.

I can only assume that Shaw needs a bit of fitness issues. Smalling and Evans are atrocious players, Blackett was an unfortunate casualty but tbh when you're relying on him to do the goods there is a problem. I've said for ages that Van Gaal will be sacked in a matter of months, his only saving grace is how badly Liverpool are doing as well, although their fixture list has invariably been harder.
Original post by samba

Moreno isn't dodgy at all.
Reply 2815
Original post by jam278
Tbh I'm only trolling because of the reaction from yesterday, also at Old_Simon trying to say that United have done well defensively this season and I said you haven't had a test yet, as soon as that happens your defence will be exposed. Surprise surprise he's nowhere to be seen. Least you're taking the hit so fairplay.

I can only assume that Shaw needs a bit of fitness issues. Smalling and Evans are atrocious players, Blackett was an unfortunate casualty but tbh when you're relying on him to do the goods there is a problem. I've said for ages that Van Gaal will be sacked in a matter of months, his only saving grace is how badly Liverpool are doing as well, although their fixture list has invariably been harder.

Old Simon reckons macs/linux can't get viruses and calls it 'propoganda' when informed otherwise, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to that really. I hit scouse fans hard after the WH game; anything I get back is entirely deserved. People shouldn't throw stones if they live in glass houses anyway.

I dunno, yesterday can't even be characterised as defensive problems :s-smilie: It was more, mentality/disaster/horrible horrible luck followed by total capitulation and terrible subs. We were 3-1 up and cruising after 60 (and really should have been 3-0. Then the penalty, Januzaj and Mata coming on and ADM/Falcao coming off :confused: and complete chaos. There's no excuse for it other than complacency and weak mindedness. Liverpool are honestly a pretty weak team/squad without sterling/sturridge to boost them, (And I still believe our squad is far stronger) but that would NEVER happen to them or any other club in the division. Hell, even Villa etc can see out a 1-0. It's simple, and nothing to do with player competence.
Original post by Deshi
I haven't lost faith in Rodger's and I think he could still be dat guy to win the title for us finally, yeah I think he could be a bit more tactful in the transfer market but he has a vision and philosophy that clearly works (last season we saw that), it's just building a squad that can do that. This isn't even a knee-jerk, even nearing Rafa's end when Alonso and Mascherano left you just got that feeling that we're a bunch of nearly men unable to sustain a good period of success because as soon as we develop our players to that level they just leave

None of our players will be a threat next summer because none of them are at that level yet, but if Sterling keeps up his form and keeps improving you just know he will be a target sooner rather then later if we don;t challenge for the league and win trophies.

I agree with the above, but I think even next year will probably be too soon for Raheem. I predicted 15-20 goals in all comps for him this year, if he hits 20 then we might see City/Chelsea sniffing but we're not going to sell to them, so it's fine. Barca and Madrid's front lines are packed and Reus is the centre of attention next year anyway so we're good. In two years time we could be under threat, but then again in two years time I think we'll be challenging so it shouldn't be an issue
Reply 2817
Moreno isn't dodgy at all.

Moreno doesn't have a clue about defensive positioning, when to be back, or when to be forwards. He also doesn't have the pace to cover up those positional weaknesses, and gets exposed by anybody vaguely good.
Original post by samba
Moreno doesn't have a clue about defensive positioning, when to be back, or when to be forwards. He also doesn't have the pace to cover up those positional weaknesses, and gets exposed by anybody vaguely good.

Somebody just show him some Moreno pace gifs from our last few games please. I'd be surprised if there's a quicker fullback in the league, he is ****ing RAPID.

Defensive positioning is just fine, from what we've seen and a few games last year/all touches videos. Naive at times running up to overload his flanks but that's an understandable and comparatively minor flaw for someone his age.

Also bare in mind that Moreno started the game and Andros Townsend came on as a sub, also Townsend was running without the ball and Moreno was in control of the ball so would undoubtedly be slower. The guy has pace.

Somebody just show him some Moreno pace gifs from our last few games please. I'd be surprised if there's a quicker fullback in the league, he is ****ing RAPID.

Defensive positioning is just fine, from what we've seen and a few games last year/all touches videos. Naive at times running up to overload his flanks but that's an understandable and comparatively minor flaw for someone his age.

Kyle walker is arguably faster, but bar that nobody really.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest