The Student Room Group

EPQ on Volcanology

I want to be a volcanolgoist so I have chosen to do the EPQ about volcanoes!
Can anyone give me so ideas about a specific question??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marcusroye98

Have you considered doing it on submarine volcanoes? I attended a fascinating lecture recently on the incredible level of activity of the Monowai submarine volcano. Have a look into that, the rate of growth and collapse is amazing.
Original post by Chlorophile
Have you considered doing it on submarine volcanoes? I attended a fascinating lecture recently on the incredible level of activity of the Monowai submarine volcano. Have a look into that, the rate of growth and collapse is amazing.

Its just so hard to choose a question!
I was going to do it about the sustainable ways on reducing the impacts e,g geothermal energy and stuff but that seems to vague :L
Its just so hard to choose a question!
I was going to do it about the sustainable ways on reducing the impacts e,g geothermal energy and stuff but that seems to vague :L

Does geothermal energy reduce the impacts of volcanoes?
Does geothermal energy reduce the impacts of volcanoes?

I mean like using the geothermal energy to try and create some kind of electricity source. Surely, by reducing the energy of the volcano you will also be reducing the 'magnitude'??
Not 100 percent sure.
I am just stuck on a title atm :frown:
I mean like using the geothermal energy to try and create some kind of electricity source. Surely, by reducing the energy of the volcano you will also be reducing the 'magnitude'??
Not 100 percent sure.
I am just stuck on a title atm :frown:

I'm pretty sure that any energy you extract from the volcano will be totally negligible in comparison to the energy actually stored there. There's an absolutely insane amount of heat energy there - humans can't make much of an impact on that! By all means do a project on Geothermal if you're interested, but I am 99% certain it does nothing about the impact of volcanoes.
I'm pretty sure that any energy you extract from the volcano will be totally negligible in comparison to the energy actually stored there. There's an absolutely insane amount of heat energy there - humans can't make much of an impact on that! By all means do a project on Geothermal if you're interested, but I am 99% certain it does nothing about the impact of volcanoes.

I think im going to do the positive impacts of volcanoes in the modern era?? Geothermal energy, tourism and jobs? Research some more?😃
wow! Volcanology sounds great!
I've always loved Geography, but an EPQ sounds good.
Reading all the comments here, makes me smile because of all the Geography lovers! :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
I think im going to do the positive impacts of volcanoes in the modern era?? Geothermal energy, tourism and jobs? Research some more?

Tourism and Jobs yes, but Geothermal isn't from volcanoes. Yes, it's in tectonically active areas which often have volcanoes but the heat isn't coming from the volcanoes themselves, it's coming from hot rocks beneath the surface.
Tourism and Jobs yes, but Geothermal isn't from volcanoes. Yes, it's in tectonically active areas which often have volcanoes but the heat isn't coming from the volcanoes themselves, it's coming from hot rocks beneath the surface.

Surely volcanic areas such as yellowstone allow us to identify areas with high levels of geothermal energy so surely volcanoes help to produce geothermal energy. The geothermal energy can be used by drilling into volcano magma supply which is easier than drilling into a randon part of the crust?
Surely volcanic areas such as yellowstone allow us to identify areas with high levels of geothermal energy so surely volcanoes help to produce geothermal energy. The geothermal energy can be used by drilling into volcano magma supply which is easier than drilling into a randon part of the crust?

When you've got a lot of tectonic activity near the surface and hence hot rocks, you're also very likely to have volcanoes. Perhaps there are some examples where the geothermal source really is a volcano but generally, I would have assumed it isn't. I'm pretty sure that they don't drill into a volcano's magma supply. If you've got a source saying they do I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I was under the impression that they just use hot rocks.
When you've got a lot of tectonic activity near the surface and hence hot rocks, you're also very likely to have volcanoes. Perhaps there are some examples where the geothermal source really is a volcano but generally, I would have assumed it isn't. I'm pretty sure that they don't drill into a volcano's magma supply. If you've got a source saying they do I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I was under the impression that they just use hot rocks.

I read an article earlier and it said drill into the chamber but that article is probably just some rubbish. I am not an expert at all but how else would they access the energy?
Reply 12

you could do something on managing the hazards of volcanoes, there is loads of new ideas that are being considered and used to reduce the impact of volcanic eruptions

You are correct:smile:
I think the point im trying to make is that volcanoes allow us to identify areas with high levels of geothermal activity.
As a geographer, I've covered a bit of volcanology stuff. Have a search online for things by Clive Oppenheimer and Peter Francis if you're interested in the mechanics of volcanoes. Willy Aspinall and Amy Donovan write about risks of volcanology and impacts.
Original post by tgwktm
you could do something on managing the hazards of volcanoes, there is loads of new ideas that are being considered and used to reduce the impact of volcanic eruptions

Is managing the hazards a bit vague though because there are loads of ways?😞
Original post by mespannerhanz
As a geographer, I've covered a bit of volcanology stuff. Have a search online for things by Clive Oppenheimer and Peter Francis if you're interested in the mechanics of volcanoes. Willy Aspinall and Amy Donovan write about risks of volcanology and impacts.

What about " to what extent does volcanic acitivity benefit mankind?"
Reply 18
Is managing the hazards a bit vague though because there are loads of ways?������

you could say that but you could also approach it by looking at all the ways volcano hazards cam be managed and then choosing one specific way to research such as magmatic degassing, i only heard of it last year its very interesting.
Original post by tgwktm
you could say that but you could also approach it by looking at all the ways volcano hazards cam be managed and then choosing one specific way to research such as magmatic degassing, i only heard of it last year its very interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest