The Student Room Group

Retakes

I'm in year 13 and would like to retake a GCSE maths and GCSE English Module.Would i be able to do this or would i have to retake the entire course?
B's in both.The course i want to apply to after a gap year requires either AS maths or GCSE maths at grade A
Reply 2
Original post by JamestheYorks
I'm in year 13 and would like to retake a GCSE maths and GCSE English Module.Would i be able to do this or would i have to retake the entire course?

To re-sit, you have to re-sit all the exams in a GCSE but you can carry forward the controlled assessment. I'd try and get this sorted ASAP - you might be able to take it in November and get it out of the way, rather than have it conflicting with your A levels next summer.
Reply 3
Original post by STUDYREVISE
I think it's possible to retake the Maths, not sure about English, you'd have to ask someone.
What were your grades for them both?
Is there a particular reason you want to retake?

hey sorry for hijacking but i had a serious question and i don't know what to do. i did my gcses and i got my mark this summer, i got a grade D in English and i sent it to be remarked but unfortunately its still a D. i now go to college where they do IGCSE and i previously did GCSE LANG with WJEC. will i be allowed to just go to my high school and retake that paper in November or can i not do that. also will i be able to reuse my controlled assessment?:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:
Reply 4
Original post by akay2k14
hey sorry for hijacking but i had a serious question and i don't know what to do. i did my gcses and i got my mark this summer, i got a grade D in English and i sent it to be remarked but unfortunately its still a D. i now go to college where they do IGCSE and i previously did GCSE LANG with WJEC. will i be allowed to just go to my high school and retake that paper in November or can i not do that. also will i be able to reuse my controlled assessment?:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

If you stick to the same exam board (i.e. WJEC) then you can carry forward the controlled assessment and just re-sit the exam. You can re-sit that exam anywhere that will let you - your current college or your old school or anywhere else. The entry deadline is 4 October for this November so I would get a move on in case the first place you try won't accept you. .
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
If you stick to the same exam board (i.e. WJEC) then you can carry forward the controlled assessment and just re-sit the exam. You can re-sit that exam anywhere that will let you - your current college or your old school or anywhere else. The entry deadline is 4 October for this November so I would get a move on in case the first place you try won't accept you. .

yh i the only place i can do it is in my previous school because my college does IGCSE therefore i have to do the whole course again, along with A LEVELS:frown:
Reply 6

Things are changing now so i think you would have to resit the whole course for GCSE maths and english unfortunately.
Reply 7
Original post by akay2k14
yh i the only place i can do it is in my previous school because my college does IGCSE therefore i have to do the whole course again, along with A LEVELS:frown:

If all you want to do is re-sit the exam then there is no reason why your college (if they are registered with WJEC) can't just enter you for that. They don't have to teach it, all they need to provide is a desk in an exam hall.
Reply 8
Original post by Mercea
Things are changing now so i think you would have to resit the whole course for GCSE maths and english unfortunately.

No you don't.
Reply 9
Original post by Compost
No you don't.

Ohhh ok i though you did but never mind then.
So how would i know how the results from the retake affect my overall grade? Would i have to contact the exam board and get a new certificate printed?
So how would i know how the results from the retake affect my overall grade? Would i have to contact the exam board and get a new certificate printed?

Everything is done through the exam centre, the exam board won't deal directly with you. If you re-sit you will get a new certificate based on the exams you take (so it could be better, the same or worse than the original grade).
Original post by Mercea

Where did you hear this from? And is it only with Maths and English? What about other subjects?

Original post by Compost
No you don't.

Are you absolutely sure about that??
Original post by Da Di Doo
Where did you hear this from? And is it only with Maths and English? What about other subjects?

The rules for all subjects are now that you don't have to re-take the course, you can carry forward any controlled assessment marks and just (pay to) re-sit the exams. However, you have to re-sit all the exams in a subject and those are the marks that will count for the new GCSE grade, even if you do worse than you did originally. (Unlike A level where you can re-sit as many units as you like and your best attempt in each one is always the one that counts.)
Original post by Compost
The rules for all subjects are now that you don't have to re-take the course, you can carry forward any controlled assessment marks and just (pay to) re-sit the exams. However, you have to re-sit all the exams in a subject and those are the marks that will count for the new GCSE grade, even if you do worse than you did originally. (Unlike A level where you can re-sit as many units as you like and your best attempt in each one is always the one that counts.)

You are scaring me. Please can you link me to some official website that says this
Original post by Da Di Doo
You are scaring me. Please can you link me to some official website that says this

http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gcse-entry-information/gcse-entry-aggregation-and-certification-rules-from-june-2014

Quick Reply

Latest