The Student Room Group

Low predicted grades

I've been predicted ABD by my teachers, but I'm pretty sure im capable of AAB and even A*AB if I really do well with my re-sits. I'm a bit anxious because I've applied to 2 fairly prestigious unis (Aston and Surrey) and not sure if I will get an offer, especially with these low predicted grades. Is there any chance of me going to one of these Unis like Warwick/Surrey/Bath if I dont apply there right now. Maybe through Clearing? I'm also anxious because apparently Im only eligible for Clearing if I reject/get rejected by all the unis I've applied to, but I dont want to reject any of them if I get an offer, because I dont want to take the chance of relying on Clearing for one of these more prestigious unis.
Any help and Advice?
Reply 1
What did you get in AS? You can generally persuade teachers to give you predictions a grade or 2 higher if you prove your motivation. Then again if you don't expect to meet these predictions then you will really be shooting yourself in the foot in terms of going to a good university. Make sure you apply to at least 1-2 back up uni's (ABB-BBB) otherwise you might risk going through clearing which is notoriously unreliable and most great universities will not have any places to offer during clearing for popular courses.

You have to reject uni's if you get more than 2 offers as you can only pick a firm and an insurance choice. I assume your firm is going to be Surrey (or Warwick/Bath if you apply and get offers) and your insurance should be one of the ABB-BBB universities.
Original post by Phillipo57
I've been predicted ABD by my teachers, but I'm pretty sure im capable of AAB and even A*AB if I really do well with my re-sits. I'm a bit anxious because I've applied to 2 fairly prestigious unis (Aston and Surrey) and not sure if I will get an offer, especially with these low predicted grades. Is there any chance of me going to one of these Unis like Warwick/Surrey/Bath if I dont apply there right now. Maybe through Clearing? I'm also anxious because apparently Im only eligible for Clearing if I reject/get rejected by all the unis I've applied to, but I dont want to reject any of them if I get an offer, because I dont want to take the chance of relying on Clearing for one of these more prestigious unis.
Any help and Advice?

If you think you can get AAB+ can't you persuade your teachers to give you higher predicted grades?
Any help and Advice?

You have misunderstood clearing

Apply to a range of universities - I would not suggest anything above ABB

Maybe 1xABB, 1xABC, 1xBBC 2 that are looking for points

If you receive offers you can accept or reject them

If you hold no offers you can apply for additional universities through Extra (1 at a time) this is done during the year

If you fail to achieve your offers for Firm and Insurance on results day - you can go into clearing

IF YOU DO BETTER IN YOUR RESULTS THAN YOUR FIRM OFFER then you will be suitable for adjustment and can (on and after results day) apply to universities with higher entry requirements
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
You have misunderstood clearing

Apply to a range of universities - I would not suggest anything above ABB

Maybe 1xABB, 1xABC, 1xBBC 2 that are looking for points

If you receive offers you can accept or reject them

If you hold no offers you can apply for additional universities through Extra (1 at a time) this is done during the year

If you fail to achieve your offers for Firm and Insurance on results day - you can go into clearing

IF YOU DO BETTER IN YOUR RESULTS THAN YOUR FIRM OFFER then you will be suitable for adjustment and can (on and after results day) apply to universities with higher entry requirements

So if I happened to scap Surrey, amd make Aston my first chioce (aab-abb) and make my other4 choices bbb or bbc type unis, i could still go to a better university IF i over achieve and get e.g; AAA?

And would this also mean that I can start at that (adjusted choice) uni in September 2015 or would I have to take a gap year and wait till september 2016?
So if I happened to scap Surrey, amd make Aston my first chioce (aab-abb) and make my other4 choices bbb or bbc type unis, i could still go to a better university IF i over achieve and get e.g; AAA?

And would this also mean that I can start at that (adjusted choice) uni in September 2015 or would I have to take a gap year and wait till september 2016?

Yes

And, adjustment works for that year so no gap year needed

Note - not all courses are available at all universities for adjustment but many, many are
Reply 6
thanks this helps me out a lot
thanks this helps me out a lot

Note that if you are eligible for Adjustment, you can look round for a 'better choice' while still keeping your firm choice. This is unlike Clearing.

However, Adjustment only lasts a short period of time - about 5 days?
Reply 8
Original post by ageshallnot
Note that if you are eligible for Adjustment, you can look round for a 'better choice' while still keeping your firm choice. This is unlike Clearing.

However, Adjustment only lasts a short period of time - about 5 days?

so it gives me the security of my firm choice, and I can look around for better unis if I find the right course. But if I cant find the right adjustment, I can still go to my firm choice right?
so it gives me the security of my firm choice, and I can look around for better unis if I find the right course. But if I cant find the right adjustment, I can still go to my firm choice right?

Correct.

Adjustment is not widely used, but is growing and this is its key advantage.

The main downsides are...

Applicants can be seduced by the prospect of going to a 'better' uni when they would actually prefer - and do better in - the course at their firm choice. You will have chosen your firm for a reason, so don't let something like an 'RG' label dazzle you.

Accommodation in halls might not be guaranteed at the 'adjusted' university, but this varies from place to place.

If you think you might be trying it, then do your research beforehand.
thanks, this is useful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending