The Student Room Group

A2 predicted grades preventing offer?

Ok so this is really stressing me out. For my AS results in August I got 4As in Maths, Physics, Economics and History and I want to study engineering at uni. As I did really well at as I decided I might aswell try further a2 and sit mechanics modules, so my four a2s will be maths, further maths , physics and econ. So here is my problem, I want to apply to imperial and Cambridge, and I know my ums is low but I got 270 in maths and 264 in physics(both out of 300) yet I'm getting a prediction of an a in both. Also as I am self teaching FM, I will "get my tutor" to predict me an A which will go into UCAS. As imperial as for a*aaa and Cambridge A*A*a, even though i have decent ums(to achieve an a* anyway lol) is there any point me applying as I don't have an a * prediction in maths physics or further? Thanks
oh and my econ prediction is a*
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I would definitely say to at least give it a go and apply. Although each university has a 'typical' offer for their subjects, they can vary from person to person. If they like your personal statement and if your interview goes well (if you have one, that is) then you have a good chance of getting in. It's not just about your grades, it's about you.

My friend who is now going to Cambridge was told he needed A*AA to get in, but achieved A*BB in the end. However, Cambridge still accepted him on the grounds that both his interview and personal statement were incredibly impressive and so he still got his place.

It's always worth applying!
Reply 2
Original post by zawakei
I would definitely say to at least give it a go and apply. Although each university has a 'typical' offer for their subjects, they can vary from person to person. If they like your personal statement and if your interview goes well (if you have one, that is) then you have a good chance of getting in. It's not just about your grades, it's about you.

My friend who is now going to Cambridge was told he needed A*AA to get in, but achieved A*BB in the end. However, Cambridge still accepted him on the grounds that both his interview and personal statement were incredibly impressive and so he still got his place.

It's always worth applying!

Thanks haha, but do you know what your friend's predicted grades where for them to get the offer/interview anyway?
Reply 3
Original post by nathanjorin
Thanks haha, but do you know what your friend's predicted grades where for them to get the offer/interview anyway?

I'm pretty sure it was A*AA or A*AB. He was part of the Oxbridge Project at my sixth form as well, but I don't know if that helped contribute to getting the interview. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest