The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHOO
Southamptons squad is comparatively short, so I presume they'll make a couple of changes. To be honest, we don't even have many changes to make to our defence so I don't think there will be many. I think this is Bellerins opportunity to really show his worth.

Also, I'm genuinely excited for a Diaby debute <3

I hope Campell proves to Wenger that he's much better than what Wenger thinks of him

I reckon Bellerin showed his worth at the Emirates cup. He was great then, and when he played recently he was getting some praise, with Debuchy gone Bellerin is a certainty for most cup games, and some less important PL games.

Same with Diaby and Campbell, so excited (until they fall over each other in the changing room pre-match and break a leg each.)
Reply 61
Original post by Arkasia
I reckon Bellerin showed his worth at the Emirates cup. He was great then, and when he played recently he was getting some praise, with Debuchy gone Bellerin is a certainty for most cup games, and some less important PL games.

Same with Diaby and Campbell, so excited (until they fall over each other in the changing room pre-match and break a leg each.)

Having said that though, so did Sanogo with his four goals vs Benfica :rolleyes:

The Dourtmond game was such a hard one to have his debut in, which is why I think tomorrow will be somewhat better for him. I think its a bigger day for Campbell & Diaby though - Diaby especially.
Original post by SHOO
Having said that though, so did Sanogo with his four goals vs Benfica :rolleyes:

The Dourtmond game was such a hard one to have his debut in, which is why I think tomorrow will be somewhat better for him. I think its a bigger day for Campbell & Diaby though - Diaby especially.

People seem to love mentioning that, coincidentally leaving out 3/4 were tap-ins from 4 yards out in an empty net.

Arsene loves the idea of debuting new players in massive games: wasn't Sanogo's first start against Bayern? Bellerin will be fine, as will the rest of the back four. Campbell should be alright, now we have Welbeck and Sanchez, Campbell is probably going to be a bench warmer for the foreseeable future, and Wenger isn't dumb enough to send him out on loan or sell him. Diaby is the issue. He is our longest serving squad member, and with only 124 games in 8 years, this season is really a make or break season for him. One more serious injury and he is out, Wenger cannot justify paying wages to a player with the bone structure and playing ability as a teapot. The only thing on his side is that he dominated Liverpool just before he went out, and he is our only viable CDM option beyond the lamppost that is Arteta.
Original post by Arkasia
We are playing a second rate team, and the Saints will be playing their first XI, if they win it will hardly be an upset. If any of the other big 4 lose (Liverpool are looking v. possible), then THAT will be an upset.

Southampton haven't won at Arsenal's ground in nearly 30 years, of course it would be.

Who are the Scouse playing? I haven't paid much attention to the draw.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr90
Southampton haven't won at Arsenal's ground in nearly 30 years, of course it would be.

It would be in terms of history, ok, let me rephrase that: I wouldn't be surprised if they beat our 3rd team.

They are playing the mighty Middlesborough. I know, I know - tough draw.
In. 4 pages late but...in.

Original post by Arkasia
It would be in terms of history, ok, let me rephrase that: I wouldn't be surprised if they beat our 3rd team.

They are playing the mighty Middlesborough. I know, I know - tough draw.

Southampton is a tough draw regardless. They're one of the mid table teams I hardly look forward to playing along with Swansea, Stoke etc etc. We should do it though.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
In. 4 pages late but...in.

Southampton is a tough draw regardless. They're one of the mid table teams I hardly look forward to playing along with Swansea, Stoke etc etc. We should do it though.

Nah, with our First XI we would crush them at home. They are a bad team along with Swansea, but not one of our bogey teams like Stoke or, dare I say it, QPR.
Reply 67
Original post by sr90

middlesborough mate.
gonna crush them, got lambgoat playing from the start :colone:

if there's any kind of MK Dons inspired scoreline, i swear i'm gonna top myself.
Reply 68
Original post by Arkasia
Nah, with our First XI we would crush them at home. They are a bad team along with Swansea, but not one of our bogey teams like Stoke or, dare I say it, QPR.

QPR lol.
mate they're pub team level - if any of the top teams fail to take 6 points from QPR this season, they deserve ultimate trolling.

can see us getting 1 point now; last minute penalty equaliser at anfield...
Original post by Lúcio

if there's any kind of MK Dons inspired scoreline, i swear i'm gonna top myself.

Now that would complete me. Won't happen though :colonhash:

Original post by Arkasia

I hope you're right, literally our only realistic chance of retaining silverware.
Reply 70
Now that would complete me. Won't happen though :colonhash:

I hope you're right, literally our only realistic chance of retaining silverware.

it middlesborough win, i'm coming for you. :dry:

don't underestimate soton.
we underestimated them in week one and almost paid the price at anfield.
Original post by Lúcio

As long as you don't play 3ATB with Kolo Toure and 2 kids from your academy you'll be alright.
Original post by Lúcio
it middlesborough win, i'm coming for you. :dry:

don't underestimate soton.
we underestimated them in week one and almost paid the price at anfield.

Then you bought half the club as revenge :colone:

I've never underestimated Southampton, I know how difficult they can be. I've said this for a two or three seasons now.
Original post by Lúcio
QPR lol.
mate they're pub team level - if any of the top teams fail to take 6 points from QPR this season, they deserve ultimate trolling.

can see us getting 1 point now; last minute penalty equaliser at anfield...

They are a rubbish team, but we still manage to screw up against them.
Reply 74
Original post by sr90
As long as you don't play 3ATB with Kolo Toure and 2 kids from your academy you'll be alright.

haha nah don't wanna copy united do we? :wink:

we might play a few fringe players since we have the merseyside derby at the weekend
but i'm sure rodgers will play a strong enough team to win

a third loss in a row could result in morale so low that everton crush us
however playing a full strength team tomorrow may leave them fatigued on saturday
it's a difficult balance but i'm confident rodgers will get it right.

Then you bought half the club as revenge :colone:

I've never underestimated Southampton, I know how difficult they can be. I've said this for a two or three seasons now.

soton for me are a big shock this season.
i thought with all the losses they suffered that they would be bottom half, but they've made some bloody amazing signings and they'll comfortably finish in the gtop half this season, most likely challenging for europa league

Original post by Arkasia
They are a rubbish team, but we still manage to screw up against them.

meh, we all have our bad teams but QPR are a whole level below everybody else; even burnley and palace.
Original post by Lúcio
haha nah don't wanna copy united do we? :wink:

we might play a few fringe players since we have the merseyside derby at the weekend
but i'm sure rodgers will play a strong enough team to win

a third loss in a row could result in morale so low that everton crush us
however playing a full strength team tomorrow may leave them fatigued on saturday
it's a difficult balance but i'm confident rodgers will get it right.

soton for me are a big shock this season.
i thought with all the losses they suffered that they would be bottom half, but they've made some bloody amazing signings and they'll comfortably finish in the gtop half this season, most likely challenging for europa league

meh, we all have our bad teams but QPR are a whole level below everybody else; even burnley and palace.

honestly, if I were you guys, I would rest very very few players and just go for it.. as for me, you need confidence more then rest - and a good thrashing in the cup may do just that before your big game at the weekend..
Reply 76
Original post by fallen_acorns
honestly, if I were you guys, I would rest very very few players and just go for it.. as for me, you need confidence more then rest - and a good thrashing in the cup may do just that before your big game at the weekend..

i agree - i would rest key players like sterling and lovren but on the whole play a strong team.

i believe that morale is one of the most important components in football alongside chemistry
on paper our defender are not bad at all.
on paper our attack is not bad at all.
so why are we struggling to score and conceding way too many?
l8 to the party
What happens if an injury to Mertesacker to Koscielney occurs? Chambers goes inside, with Bellerin outside him? Monreal/Flamini as possible CBs if worst came to worst? Big few months injury wise for you guys, need to keep your defensive guys fit.
Reply 79
Original post by Gob Bluth
What happens if an injury to Mertesacker to Koscielney occurs? Chambers goes inside, with Bellerin outside him? Monreal/Flamini as possible CBs if worst came to worst? Big few months injury wise for you guys, need to keep your defensive guys fit.

3-5-2 m8. Walcott and Sanchez wingbacks.

Latest