The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peachz
How does it work for you then??

Sorry, only just seen this! We are in uni for 2 and a half weeks, induction at school on the final of those weeks for one day. Then have orientation in school for 3 weeks, back to uni, then school again for main block. :-) That's first placement anyway! I'm in school for my induction next Wednesday!!
Original post by Esmeralda4
Sorry, only just seen this! We are in uni for 2 and a half weeks, induction at school on the final of those weeks for one day. Then have orientation in school for 3 weeks, back to uni, then school again for main block. :-) That's first placement anyway! I'm in school for my induction next Wednesday!!

Ooh nice. The kids were hard work this afternoon, really giddy. The Friday fever clearly hit them.
Original post by Peachz
Ooh nice. The kids were hard work this afternoon, really giddy. The Friday fever clearly hit them.

Uh oh! What year are you in?
Wow, first uni day, received our star documents etc, already half thinking arghh, there's so much to do! But I know the rule is slow and steady wins the race so it's just a case of being organised and careful and making sure I do stuff in plenty of time!
Uh oh! What year are you in?

Year 2 at the minute, they're a bit too young for me, ideal year would probably be 3 or 4! I taught a computing class today with 6 of them and it was hard to keep them engaged.
Original post by Peachz
Year 2 at the minute, they're a bit too young for me, ideal year would probably be 3 or 4! I taught a computing class today with 6 of them and it was hard to keep them engaged.

Yeah I can see what you mean! I'm based in year 2 for my first placement. I'm excited but so worried as well!
Had my first full week at uni for my Primary PGCE, so much to take in but I have really enjoyed it so far! It felt really surreal the first day or two but now I have really got into it. :smile: There has been SO much information to try and take in but the lecturers are amazing and some of the lectures/seminars have been different to anything I've seen/done before :biggrin:

Now I am just very tired!
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah I can see what you mean! I'm based in year 2 for my first placement. I'm excited but so worried as well!

It's quite a good year to be honest. I just wouldn't want the stress of having the sats all the time
I'm starting my first full week of subjects tomorrow! Excited but nervous too. It already feels like information overload.
Original post by Chrissi86
I'm starting my first full week of subjects tomorrow! Excited but nervous too. It already feels like information overload.

I'm feeling the same! I've done a lot of subject already, got a week of professional development starting tomorrow before I'm unleashed! good luck x
Original post by MissAlwaysWright
I'm feeling the same! I've done a lot of subject already, got a week of professional development starting tomorrow before I'm unleashed! ������ good luck x

Good luck to you too!
Holy cow, just been given a load of our directed activities as well as a presentation to do in pairs for Friday coming...so much work to do and we haven't started teaching yet!!
Original post by Ratchit99
Holy cow, just been given a load of our directed activities as well as a presentation to do in pairs for Friday coming...so much work to do and we haven't started teaching yet!!

Haha. I felt like this last week! Presentation was easy tho and not marked, so once I'd talked myself out of stressing about it I was fine! What's your pres on? Ours was on our experiences of types of learning as a pupil. Don't worry they're not expecting you to be lacing it with theory and intelligent educational viewpoints just yet 👍😄 xxx
Original post by MissAlwaysWright
Haha. I felt like this last week! Presentation was easy tho and not marked, so once I'd talked myself out of stressing about it I was fine! What's your pres on? Ours was on our experiences of types of learning as a pupil. Don't worry they're not expecting you to be lacing it with theory and intelligent educational viewpoints just yet 👍😄 xxx

We've got to do a presentation on computational thinking to our subject mentors for our schools...just trying to make sure I don't sound like a total Berk! Lol
Week three and I'm still enjoying it. So much I need to be looking into (I'm supposed to be creating an AfL worksheet right now. eek!) but other than really needing to get myself better organised I think I'm handling it okay. Start at our schools next Wednesday so getting super nervous about that now!

We've got to do a presentation on computational thinking to our subject mentors for our schools...just trying to make sure I don't sound like a total Berk! Lol

You'll be fine. I did an intro to computational thinking for my PGCE interview this year and it's definitely a topic that's easy to work with. Try and enjoy it!
I have my induction at my first placement tomorrow. Eek! The nerves are kicking in.
I have my induction at my first placement tomorrow. Eek! The nerves are kicking in.

How exciting!! I start Monday. Can't wait. Good luck!

Yeah I think that's basically what our mentors were getting us to present in inadvertently. I remember classes being very computational, I think that's what's made me want to be the opposite ha!
Reply 3897
I've been following this thread for a while - am I the only one who feels extremely intimidated by the level knowledge and expertise the people on my course have?

I was reading emails sent by some of them and it feels like it's come directly out of a research paper or something and this is INFORMAL.

I feel like my course leader probably has a strong preference towards them too because the 'younger' ones in the group are more quiet and reserved we dare not speak when the experienced individuals are engaging in a discussion, and half of the time the jargon they use confuses us, I wonder what he thinks of me, and if he regrets picking me to be a trainee teacher :colondollar: doubts starting to settle in quite early on, not a good sign?

Just letting my thoughts out here - seems like you guys are having a good time.
Reply 3898

Ah I remember you, doing computing too right? We had to do an essay to do on 'computational thinking'.
Original post by Sam89
I've been following this thread for a while - am I the only one who feels extremely intimidated by the level knowledge and expertise the people on my course have?

I was reading emails sent by some of them and it feels like it's come directly out of a research paper or something and this is INFORMAL.

I feel like my course leader probably has a strong preference towards them too because the 'younger' ones in the group are more quiet and reserved we dare not speak when the experienced individuals are engaging in a discussion, and half of the time the jargon they use confuses us, I wonder what he thinks of me, and if he regrets picking me to be a trainee teacher :colondollar: doubts starting to settle in quite early on, not a good sign?

Just letting my thoughts out here - seems like you guys are having a good time.

PGCEs have many different types of people, all with different experiences and qualifications. Just remember, they wouldn't have chosen you if they didn't think you would make a great teacher, so don't doubt yourself!

I would also say, if you think of something interesting to say then say it, even if you think it seems simple, you will probably be pleasantly surprised by the response and may help encourage others feeling the same as you to speak as well. If someone else in the group is purposely not letting you get a word in edgeways then you can bet others are feeling annoyed/fed up with them too. And some people just like to say lots and try to sound smart as they are nervous and worried and want to impress their tutors and colleagues, that doesn't mean the tutors make judgements based on it. Just remember that though the language/jargon and ideas expressed by some others intimidate you, they probably feel equally intimidated by something you can do- strengths in subject knowledge, having worked to this point at a young age, or any number of other strengths. Try to get to know these people on a personal level which could help you feel less intimidated and talk about your ideas with someone- friends or a tutor 1-1 if you're too nervous to speak up in a group yet- to help you see that your ideas have merit and build confidence. And don't worry about the language you're using because it doesn't matter, the ideas are still good!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending