The Student Room Group

My parents won't let me go uni elsewhere but at a local (crap) university HELPP?!!!

Please I need advice that I can actually use not ''tell them to **** off'' although I'd love to say that but I still love and respect them :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you Asian?
Original post by Maker
Are you Asian?

yes :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Maker
Are you Asian?

Does this matter, make any difference or cloud any judgement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Explain to them that although you understand they want you to stay close to home you need to make you own choices and choice a university that will enhance your future career aspects.
Just make sure you look at uni's that aren't too far away and take them to open days to let them feel confident you will be safe and happy.
Good Luck!
Reply 5
Well, it's your life, you are an adult now and you can do as you please. Your parents may have your best intentions at heart, but it's your decision, so go wherever you want.
Original post by as421

Posted from TSR Mobile

if the OP is south asian it will generally be harder to convince parents otherwise , especially if the citizen Khan like 'community leaders' are equally blinkered and bigoted / fearful of the sins of the flesh offered by going away to study.
If you have potential to go to a better university you should.

Ultimately you're going to be paying 13k+ a year for the privilege. You may as well get your moneys worth.
Reply 8
Original post by IDIOSYNCRASY.
Please I need advice that I can actually use not ''tell them to **** off'' although I'd love to say that but I still love and respect them :smile:

Middlesex?
Reply 9
Uni is something really important so reason and explain to them first why you'd be better off going elsewhere eg graduation job rates at other places.. but if they won't accept that you should put your foot down and go where you want. You're going to have to live your life, not them, so they'll have to accept your word as final.
Reply 10
I say just apply to the ones you actually want to go to, and when you get those offers, tell your parents that there is nothing that they can do about switching them for your local uni.
Just be happy it isn't london met.
Reply 12
Original post by as421

Posted from TSR Mobile

AsiAn parents seems far more prone to want to control the lives of their adult children than other ethnic groups. Therefore, the reasons why would differ from other ethnic groups and the advice will also reflect this.
Original post by ZeroName
Just be happy it isn't london met.

What would you say are other disastrous unis in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by lozasaurus99
What would you say are other disastrous unis in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

University of East London
maybe South Bank (yeah probably South Bank)
Sadly reminds me of a girl in my school who got into Oxford & Imperial but her parents made her go to a local uni instead (Hull uni) as the family would be moving to that area next year.

Try to reason with your family. You're a man so maybe use this to sway their decision if they believe in gender-roles (you can look after yourself etc) and be independent. Show your skills NOW. Try and do things for yourself rather than relying on your parents. Even little things such as cleaning, laundry, cooking and food shopping. Tell your family that you will visit regularly and that you are 'sacrificing' 3 years away from home so you can have a great future and it'll all be worth it. Maybe act like you don't really want to move away and its such a burden on you but you're willing to do so, so that you secure a great future. If you're too eager to go to that uni they'll say no. Just milk it lol.
Original post by SophiaLDN
Sadly reminds me of a girl in my school who got into Oxford & Imperial but her parents made her go to a local uni instead (Hull uni) as the family would be moving to that area next year.

Try to reason with your family. You're a man so maybe use this to sway their decision if they believe in gender-roles (you can look after yourself etc) and be independent. Show your skills NOW. Try and do things for yourself rather than relying on your parents. Even little things such as cleaning, laundry, cooking and food shopping. Tell your family that you will visit regularly and that you are 'sacrificing' 3 years away from home so you can have a great future and it'll all be worth it. Maybe act like you don't really want to move away and its such a burden on you but you're willing to do so, so that you secure a great future. If you're too eager to go to that uni they'll say no. Just milk it lol.

Oxford really?..that's everyone's dream uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Coming from an Asian(-ish) family, screw them and and go wherever you want.

Asian parents need to calm the hell down.
Original post by Ndella
I say just apply to the ones you actually want to go to, and when you get those offers, tell your parents that there is nothing that they can do about switching them for your local uni.

Worked for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Look on the bright side, if your local uni is really good, you might not get in and end up at KFC or Pizza hut.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending