The Student Room Group

Why is the Relationships forum so depressing?

Every third person getting ****ed over, cheated on, dumped out of the blue, abused, what the hell? So many people lying they love you when they don't, that looks don't matter when they broke up with you because they think you're fat and ugly. The only thing I haven't seen yet is small cock shaming. Is this the norm for relationships as a 20-something?

Scroll to see replies

People aren't driven to TSR because they are confident, self assured people who have an active social and healthy relationships you know...

You should realise that more than most.
Reply 2
Because people only tend to post if they have a problem. If someone started a thread about how great their relationship is, they'd probably get a lot of abuse from jealous people.
Most of them are troll posts, but generally the relationship forum is used for advice. If one's relationship is going swimmingly, one is not going to post on there because one doesn't feel that one needs advice.
Should I write a happy post in there? I feel that I would get flack.
Reply 4
I don't find it depressing. I think it's a reminder that everyone has their problems in their life, and it gives me the opportunity to help people in whatever small ways I can.
You're on TSR, not a place where most people have great social lives.
Reply 6
Original post by Huskaris
People aren't driven to TSR because they are confident, self assured people who have an active social and healthy relationships you know...

You should realise that more than most.

it seems like the forum is swimming with insecure and sometimes very silly teenagers getting himself into the ****tiest couples and then getting screwed over halfway through though. This isn't a representative portion of the average couple in my demographic?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Toriar
Because people only tend to post if they have a problem. If someone started a thread about how great their relationship is, they'd probably get a lot of abuse from jealous people.

so these posts are not representative of the majority of relationship problems/scenarios?

Original post by BlackMagicV
Most of them are troll posts, but generally the relationship forum is used for advice. If one's relationship is going swimmingly, one is not going to post on there because one doesn't feel that one needs advice.
Should I write a happy post in there? I feel that I would get flack.

I think you should :biggrin:
At least these people are in relationships. They get **** all sympathy from me.

:tongue:

Plus most people use the internet as place to complain. You are more likely to post something negative than you are positive. So you see more negative stuff. Thankfully TSR does not represent normal day to day existence out in the real world.
most people only post here when things go wrong.
Reply 10
Well people whose relationships are going fine are hardly going to make a thread about it now are they? :tongue:
Original post by Riku
so these posts are not representative of the majority of relationship problems/scenarios?

I think you should :biggrin:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2883619&p=50555097#post50555097
challenge accepted :smile:
because going to a forum and saying.

I am in a healthy relationship, with a women i find both incredibly sexy but also brilliant to be with, i am happy with my penis size and have a wonderful sex life, we talk openly with each other and both our parents are fine with the relationship, we have no financial problems and have a well thought out plan that takes into account potential problems in the future but will eventual get us into a possition where we can marry, have a house, start a family.

Is just plan boring.
Western culture. If you really hate cheating, practise Islam. I'm sure cheating isn't problem with the brothers.
Makes sense, most people will go there when there is a problem.

Of all the people to talk about this forum being too depressing as well :tongue:

Original post by miser
I don't find it depressing. I think it's a reminder that everyone has their problems in their life, and it gives me the opportunity to help people in whatever small ways I can.

+rep
Everyones relationships seem to be full of drama 5 years here and no dramas really, still love eachother and have a laugh, he's my best friend, no DV, no cheating hopefully getting married soon, :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by vickidc18
Everyones relationships seem to be full of drama 5 years here and no dramas really, still love eachother and have a laugh, he's my best friend, no DV, no cheating hopefully getting married soon, :smile:

DV?
Reply 17
Original post by miser

Original post by MrDystopia
Makes sense, most people will go there when there is a problem.

Of all the people to talk about this forum being too depressing as well :tongue:

+rep

I can't help Rships atm for reasons.

I'm not depressing I'm just out of whack, there is a difference :s-smilie:
Reply 18
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Plus most people use the internet as place to complain. You are more likely to post something negative than you are positive. So you see more negative stuff. Thankfully TSR does not represent normal day to day existence out in the real world.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly

I'm less bitter about their being in one as I am worried by how many are getting twotimed and wondering really what is the point when they have the power to destroy a little piece or big of your heart and might even do that gleefully
Original post by Riku
I'm less bitter about their being in one as I am worried by how many are getting twotimed and wondering really what is the point when they have the power to destroy a little piece or big of your heart and might even do that gleefully

I'm not bitter.

It can just get a bit annoying when I have to listen to people's relationship problems when I can't even seem to form one.

Sometimes though it makes me appreciate the simplicity of being single.

Quick Reply

Latest