The Student Room Group

Need help with personal statement - urgent!

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new here and I hope I'm in the right part of the forum.
I'm not from the UK and I'm going to apply to a couple of universities here.
Would someone be willing to look over my personal statement for grammar and spelling? And perhaps also a hint or two on what I can still improve?
I'd be super grateful!!
Thanks!
Reply 1
Hi,

I would be willing to help you out with that. I'm from the uk by the way:smile:
Hey :smile:
Small piece of advice, don't send your personal statement to strangers over the internet. The reason being, UCAS uses a plagiarism checker and similarity checker, also if you post your statement online it will be flagged as plagiarism as it checks against various online sources too including things like the student room. There are many resources available to you to get advice on your personal statement. For example, you could ask a specific question about anything you are stuck on on the student room or you could compare your personal statements to the ones online to see if you have the right idea. However, I would not recommend sending it to anyone online.
Thank you for the advice. I already sent it to a couple of people, I just hope that won't hurt. :confused:
Could you perhaps help me with just a couple of sentences?
Hmm... in what way help? If you've got a specific question relating to your personal statement I would be happy to help :smile:
Original post by alittleriddle
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new here and I hope I'm in the right part of the forum.
I'm not from the UK and I'm going to apply to a couple of universities here.
Would someone be willing to look over my personal statement for grammar and spelling? And perhaps also a hint or two on what I can still improve?
I'd be super grateful!!
Thanks!

Don't give your personal statement to anybody on here besides people who actually work for the website and are PS advisers. If any of your statement is plagiarised and they send their application off before you do, they will get away with it, you wont.
Amen to that!

I've heard a story (a friend of a friend) where person A showed her personal statement to her best friend (Person B) and the best friend copied person A's personal statement completely and handed it in to UCAS the day before Person A.

Guess who didn't get into uni that year? Person A because she apparently "plagiarised" person B!

Be careful! Don't send your personal statement to anyone online in any shape or form. Don't trust anyone, this is your university place you are risking and your future, not something to take a risk really.
Thank you for the advice. I already sent it to a couple of people, I just hope that won't hurt. :confused:
Could you perhaps help me with just a couple of sentences?

A couple of strangers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coffeetime
A couple of strangers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I sent it to Saraaa_d earier today.
Yes, I sent it to Saraaa_d earier today.

Good luck with that.
Original post by Coffeetime
Good luck with that.

Is there anything I can or should do?
Is there anything I can or should do?

Don't let complete strangers read your personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As others have said, it is very risky sending your PS to anyone apart from family and teachers really. However, unfortunately PS advisors cannot look at PSs anymore now the free service has gone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending