The Student Room Group

Girls, would you be OK with being the main provider?

Poll

Would you be ok with it?

Let's say your husband/long term partner made a lot less than you did, would that be cool with you? He'd make enough to support himself but no more than that.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Really? Why would it matter? If it bothered a girl that much I guess they could always quit their career and go work at McDonalds instead so they earnt less.

Willing to bet not many would though :wink:
Reply 2
Don't think it would bother her but if I earnt less than my girl I would feel insufficient as if i'm not good enough for her. It comes back to tradition where the males were seen as the breadwinners.
Reply 3
It is very important that if you arbitrarily happen to be born with a penis that you should earn more than a member of the opposite sex. You are a failure at life if you cannot surpass the earnings of your female counterpart. It is very important that you uphold this tradition because it is one of the rules of society one must adhere to to become successful at life. It is important that you spend 60 years of your life doing a soul-destroying job that you hate so that you can earn more money than your wife. Money is very important and should be the foremost concern of your life. Besides, it is good for the national economy that you spend that majority of your life slaving away. David Cameron and the Queen would especially like to thank you all very much for your contributions you will all make throughout your lifetime. You can rest assured that you will lie on your deathbed content from all the countless hours of labour you will have toiled throughout your lifetime. Welcome to the matrix. Please enjoy your stay.
If it was a lot less I would have to wonder what they're doing with their lives as I'm not exactly raking it in...for now.
Reply 5
What is with these threads... ughh...
I suppose it would all depend on whether I was winning more bread because he was busy posting inflammatory dupli-threds online at a rate of loads per day.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
If it was a lot less I would have to wonder what they're doing with their lives as I'm not exactly raking it in...for now.

because chasing money is the only thing you can do with your life :rolleyes:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
because chasing money is the only thing you can do with your life :rolleyes:

It basically is, unless you don't mind being dirt poor forever. Which I do.
It basically is, unless you don't mind being dirt poor forever. Which I do.

Well it isn't for me. Sure I want to eventually earn an average or above average salary ect but beyond that I'm not really bothered. I'm more concerned with having a career I get some enjoyment out of rather than doing something I hate for loads of cash. Would like to combine the two but if that isn't an option I would rather take happiness with less money than the other way round.

To be honest I find it sad if someone can't see why someone may have things other than just increasing their paycheck as their motivations in life.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well it isn't for me. Sure I want to eventually earn an average or above average salary ect but beyond that I'm not really bothered. I'm more concerned with having a career I get some enjoyment out of rather than doing something I hate for loads of cash. Would like to combine the two but if that isn't an option I would rather take happiness with less money than the other way round.

To be honest I find it sad if someone can't see why someone may have things other than just increasing their paycheck as their motivations in life.

Personally I would do a job I hate, but for me, cash vs hours worked is the most important.

I would do a job that I don't particularly like if it was a 9-5 and on my doorstep and paid relatively nicely.

As it stands I do a job I like, 9-5.30 an hour away from my flat, and as a result I hate it (even though the job, I love)
Being the main provider: Yes.

Being the only provider: No.
Original post by Huskaris
Personally I would do a job I hate, but for me, cash vs hours worked is the most important.

I would do a job that I don't particularly like if it was a 9-5 and on my doorstep and paid relatively nicely.

As it stands I do a job I like, 9-5.30 an hour away from my flat, and as a result I hate it (even though the job, I love)

What about a job that pays loads per hour but require you work much more than 9-5?

I'm not really sure why you're telling me this given I only said I would be wondering what they were doing given I'm not on that much myself.

I never said I couldn't imagine what else there could be to life.
What about a job that pays loads per hour but require you work much more than 9-5?

Nah. That's what my degree would have led me to. For me, time at home with my girlfriend and friends is the most important thing.

Also, a job that doesn't require me to stress when at home is exceptionally important.

To be fair I am reasonably well paid (not great, not too bad) for someone who has a completely stress free job, works with decent people etc.
Original post by Huskaris
Nah. That's what my degree would have led me to. For me, time at home with my girlfriend and friends is the most important thing.

Also, a job that doesn't require me to stress when at home is exceptionally important.

To be fair I am reasonably well paid (not great, not too bad) for someone who has a completely stress free job, works with decent people etc.

Well there you go. You have other priorities other than making more money to take into account. Ditto to the bit in bold.

I'm not really sure why you're telling me this given I only said I would be wondering what they were doing given I'm not on that much myself.

I never said I couldn't imagine what else there could be to life.

That reply was a reply to you saying "It basically is" the only thing you can do with your life. I dunno, I guess I am trying to justify my life outlook, or how I may end up being paid quite badly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Wow so far 90% of girls are saying they don't mind being the main provider! It looks like the next generation will be completely different from anything in the past, the first generation of women ever not to care about the guy's financial status! I wonder what has caused this unprecedented turn of events.
Well there you go. You have other priorities other than making more money to take into account. Ditto to the bit in bold.

:smile: I do indeed.

I figure that anyone worth being with would prefer someone who is happy and on a decent wage, than constantly stressed but with millions.
Seeing as I'll probably be in a stressful job myself... the less stress on my husband, the better.
Feed me ladies, feeeeeeed meeeeee :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest