The Student Room Group

List of "tacky" tech such as Apple, Dr.Dre etc

I know girls make fun of people who buy all designer clothes and pay the ridiculous premiums and call them tacky.

But it is lesser known with technology.

Could anyone add more to this list:

1) iPhones (2x price of other phones /w same features
2) Dr.Dre Beats (3x the price of same quality headphones)
3) Macs (2x price of pc with same specs)
4) 4K TV's (no content supports 4k yet)
5) Any "Gaming" branded peripheral
6) Alienware PC's/Laptops
7) ...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Byakko

Totally disagree. I have a "gaming" keyboard and it's nothing short of lovely. It's a Corsair K70. Link.
Reply 2
Original post by mikeyd85
Totally disagree. I have a "gaming" keyboard and it's nothing short of lovely. It's a Corsair K70. Link.

Or you can get a higher quality Filco keyboard which is 10x better than that for gaming and typing :smile:
Original post by Byakko
Or you can get a higher quality Filco keyboard which is 10x better than that for gaming and typing :smile:

Interesting claim, 10x. Considering they use Cherry MX switches, the quality of the press is going to be very similar to that of the Corsair - differences between Reds and Black notwithstanding.

The Filco looks boring as **** though. The K70 is absolutely gorgeous.
Reply 4
Interesting claim, 10x. Considering they use Cherry MX switches, the quality of the press is going to be very similar to that of the Corsair - differences between Reds and Black notwithstanding.

Filco's are boring - but they have a reputation of being THE most durable high quality - gimmick free brand. You can hammer this keyboard all day and it won't fail you. For RTS players who press their keys 10,000+ times a day you'll need something so high quality.

But hey - can't judge you if it's working out for you.
Original post by Byakko

7) ...

1) I think it depends, if people genuinely use the specs they get and like the iOS then its fine.
3) Same with Macs, the Air is the best value for money when it comes to weight and battery life. Whereas the Pro is excellent for those who want to photo/video edit.
5) Disagree with this as well, these "gaming" peripheral are in fact better suited for gaming where often they come with extra customisable buttons for easier use and people like the colours to match with their set up.
Sour grapes thread.
Reply 7
Apple products are VERY good and it's a fact. Before apple, I had to replace laptops at least every 2 years because they would just break. Not to mention Windows is terrible, and you have to restart it million times per year because it constantly freezes and has glitches. Comparing to that, my macbook NEVER did. And I've had it for 6 years! Same with my iphone, still have my 4c. Never had a single problem with it, comparing to samsungs, nokias etc, they'd break after a year or two. I guess you've never owned an Apple product.
Original post by Byakko
Filco's are boring - but they have a reputation of being THE most durable high quality - gimmick free brand. You can hammer this keyboard all day and it won't fail you. For RTS players who press their keys 10,000+ times a day you'll need something so high quality.

But hey - can't judge you if it's working out for you.

Yeah, definitely not me there! :lol:

It's working lovely. :yep:
Reply 9
Original post by Iqbal007
1) I think it depends, if people genuinely use the specs they get and like the iOS then its fine.
3) Same with Macs, the Air is the best value for money when it comes to weight and battery life. Whereas the Pro is excellent for those who want to photo/video edit.
5) Disagree with this as well, these "gaming" peripheral are in fact better suited for gaming where often they come with extra customisable buttons for easier use and people like the colours to match with their set up.

No gaming peripheral is more suited than its higher quality counterpart. Unless you love useless gimicks like programmable keys, macros, a million extra keys, lightup effects, unnecessary amounts of DPI etc

Just throwing money away - and gaming mice have cheap build qualities for example and are almosy always riddled with problems such as clicks wearing off and registering a single click as multiple ones or none at all.

I second that, totally worth the money!

Posted from TSR Mobile
As above, #5 is pretty off. Granted there are products out there which use the label unnecessarily, but at the same time there are plenty of times where features will only find themselves implemented into gaming oriented products because it has limited applications elsewhere.

I also disagree with #1 and #3 to some degree. There's no argument from me about iPhones being overpriced, but this is a theme among the entire high end smartphone industry and not just Apple as a way of making people buy into lengthy contracts. The difference is Android manufacturers are in perpetual competition with each other and are constantly creating better products that devalue older ones, while Apple refreshes its phones annually and demand remains pretty static throughout the year. Do you honestly think Samsung and HTC wouldn't still be selling their S5 and One M8 for their initial £599 RRPs if they could get away with it?

As for Macs, the MBA line still play pretty competitively with similarly spec'd ultrabooks and have a key advantage in battery life, and the iMacs are actually among the best value all-in-ones of any brand right now. The Retina Pros are also relatively well priced for the 13" models compared to other premium, slim, ultra high res notebooks. Everything else falls at different points on the overpriced scale but the non-retina Pro is probably the only thing in the lineup that costs double its Windows equivalent, that thing's a relic that needs killing off.

Beats are the true kings of tacky overpriced tech. 3x the price is being generous when it comes to some products in the lineup like the Mixrs, and while their recent Solo and Studio revisions show promise they're still woefully expensive.

---

But yeah, as for my submissions;
*The premium audio market has a pretty chronic infection of bad, expensive headphones since Beats were able to capture the majority share of the market with bad products. Virtually any product with a rapper behind it is typically awful, with 50 Cent's headphones getting my vote for the single worst overall line of headphones currently on sale. Monster may have lost Beats but that's not stopping them putting out crap under other names. Skullcandy's cheap stuff is crap and sells unreasonably well, but they've put major stock into improving since 2012 and their higher end (typically the high end segment is deemed to start at $100) stuff has been consistently pretty decent. There's generally a lot of crap to sift through to find something decent on the high street these days.

*Lots of basic point-and-shoot bridge cameras are pretty indistinguishable but can cost hundred on pounds. Not only do they usually fail to justify their price tags over similar cameras with prices in the double digits, at £200 you could easily get a refurbished DSLR kit direct from the maker which will destroy anything in the price range for image quality (DSLRs obviously aren't for everyone though). Generally these cheap basic cameras don't add enough value compared to either a cheaper alternative or even just a good smartphone camera.

At the opposite end of the price range, Hasselblad, one of the most venerable camera brands on the market, have rebranded a couple of Sony cameras (Sony RX100 becomes the Hasselblad Stellar and the NX7 became the Hasselblad Luna), making them uglier, and quadrupling the price with virtually zero technical improvements in either case. Needless tonsay reception to these cameras wasn't great.

*Virtually any cable selling for £30+ for any other reason than sheer length. The appreciable difference between an acceptable quality cheap cables (aka no defects affecting their usability) and premium branded ones is almost universally non-existant.

Those are the ones that immediately spring to mind.
I agree. Anyone spending more than £3/4 on a HDMI cable is being ripped off.
Reply 13
Original post by Byakko
iPhones are glass and retarded. Drop it and lose £100 every time + wait for repair times.

Your tears must be making your hands slippery.
Reply 14
Original post by xDave-
Your tears must be making your hands slippery.

I had an iphone 3g when it came out, in school, then an iphone 4 when it came out. never dropped mine but I know they shatter in a single drop.

I have a galaxy s5. so why would I be "tearing" - I have unlimited 4g wherever I go, or are you crying? :smile:
Reply 15
7) every iteration of call of duty after modern warfare 2. There is literally no difference in the graphics, Except for maybe a 1 percent increase in the quality of the lighting and different pixel guns...

(costs £50 for each one)
Let's see if I get any flack for this...consoles.
And why did you skip over iPads? Tbh, all tablets really imo
Reply 17
Tablets are so convenient. I agree. Ironically I own an iPad mini retina. Though my next tablet will most likely be Windows 9 based when it's out.

Only chose Apple in this case cause I wanted a smaller form factor and tempted with retina display.
(edited 9 years ago)
Personally, I would disagree when most of the time the phone is about as practical and likely already in the mix and is more portable still, it actually fits in your pocket. It's not totally impractical on the tube (and I would rather be one of those ********s with a paper anyway, personally) and when in bed I should think most people will have their phone close while charging overnight, a talet largely fills the role that a smartphone held. Personally, I probably will get a tablet, but just a shield tablet which won't be used a great deal, mostly when home from uni for the weekend or visiting my girlfriend for the gamestream feature and beyond that a good bit of horsepower when running on its own.
Original post by Byakko
I know girls make fun of people who buy all designer clothes and pay the ridiculous premiums and call them tacky.

But it is lesser known with technology.

Could anyone add more to this list:

7) ...

I dissagree with some things on this list, For example, Apple, yes they're over priced. But they're some of the best designed and well made phones around. At the time of the iPhone 4, they were the only ones with a "Premium" design (The metal body with glass back" and it felt awesome! Other phone makers are only just ditching the plastic tacky crap on their phones....

Macs. Again, Amazingly built and great design. Go find me a windows All in one that is that thin, Made of complete aluminium and just amazingly crafted, You can't.

4K Tv's - Wrong! There are now 4K blu-ray palyers + a decent ish number of 4K movies. 4K upscalling AV recievers that actually work remarkably well, You can definitley tell the difference. Even Netflix and Youtube can stream certain content in 4K now....

I'll let you have the other 3, But I truly feel that you get what you pay for.... Feel free to correct me if you feel im wrong guys...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending