The Student Room Group

Poll: Would you take an STI test in the school loo?

Poll

Would you take an STI test in the school loo

All schools in Brighton and Hove other than one Catholic School have signed up to the NHS initiative which includes students choosing to take a chlamydia test during lessons to "demystify" taking an STI test.

According to the Telegraph "more than 200,000 people a year test positive for the infection in England, with 64% of diagnoses among those under 25 years old."

One parent subsequently complained that her daughter felt uncomfortable, refusing the test and that parents should be informed beforehand because such an act could be humiliating for the parents.

Information provided by the NHS 2 years ago states that students under the age of 16s can only be offered STI tests without parental knowledge if children cannot be persuaded to tell their parents.

You can read the Telegraph article here

Do you think taking this type of test as part of a sex education lesson will make young people feel less uncomfortable doing this in future years?

Do you think it's a good idea? Does it debunk the stigma of taking a STI test?

Would you take one at school?
(edited 9 years ago)
I think this is a good idea but just not in the school toilets... somewhere private perhaps but not the loo
Original post by She-Ra
All schools in Brighton and Hove other than one Catholic School have signed up to the NHS initiative which includes students choosing to take a chlamydia test during lessons to "demystify" taking an STI test.

According to the Telegraph "more than 200,000 people a year test positive for the infection in England, with 64% of diagnoses among those under 25 years old."

One parent subsequently complained that her daughter felt uncomfortable, refusing the test and that parents should be informed beforehand because such an act could be humiliating for the parents.

Information provided by the NHS 2 years ago states that students under the age of 16s can only be offered STI tests without parental knowledge if children cannot be persuaded to tell their parents.

You can read the Telegraph article here

Do you think taking this type of test as part of a sex education lesson will make young people feel less uncomfortable doing this in future years?

Do you think it's a good idea? Does it debunk the stigma of taking a STI test?

Would you take one at school?

I think the idea is good - but asking a 15/16 year old to go do a self-swab in the toilets is pretty insensitive. :confused: Couldn't they set up a temporary clinic there in order to demystify it...?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I think the idea is good - but asking a 15/16 year old to go do a self-swab in the toilets is pretty insensitive. :confused: Couldn't they set up a temporary clinic there in order to demystify it...?

I agree, school toilets aren't pleasant at the best of times. There should be a private space that is designated temporarily for this.
Reply 4
Don't you just piss in a pot? What's the issue?
Original post by Mackay
Don't you just piss in a pot? What's the issue?

No, for chlamydia it's a swab so not quite as simple as that unfortunately.
Reply 6
Original post by She-Ra
No, for chlamydia it's a swab so not quite as simple as that unfortunately.

Yuck. Didn't know that.
We had these people come in to our sixth form, where you could do a sample in the loo's and give it to them with your phone number, and they would text the result for whether you had chlamydia. Was very popular actually, even more so for the fact you got free underwear :tongue:
In the SCHOOL toilets? No. :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paralove
We had these people come in to our sixth form, where you could do a sample in the loo's and give it to them with your phone number, and they would text the result for whether you had chlamydia. Was very popular actually, even more so for the fact you got free underwear :tongue:

You're not a "real" student if you don't like a freebie :wink:

That sounds like a good initiative - I think normalising it as a "process" is a really good idea. Especially if everyone is doing it together. I think a lot of people are really put off by the thought of going to an STI clinic for a test specifically.
Original post by karmacrunch
In the SCHOOL toilets? No. :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty grim eh!
Original post by Paralove

...was this the underwear they were handing out?

Original post by Mackay
Yuck. Didn't know that.

It's not a swab. It's a pisspot like you said. I've done one.
Reply 13
Original post by Huskaris

Erm...
Original post by Huskaris

Original post by Mackay
Erm...

It can be either a swab or a urine sample. :smile: Possibly more common to have a swab if you're female.
Original post by Mackay
Erm...

Sorry - it can be either....

In the ones that you pick up from the Drs surgery it is generally a self-swab kit.

At least you're prepared now :smile:
Original post by Mackay
Erm...

Long time ago, and not for any reason... They were handing them out by a football ground, and it was completely free....

Just a routine thing really.
Original post by She-Ra
You're not a "real" student if you don't like a freebie :wink:

That sounds like a good initiative - I think normalising it as a "process" is a really good idea. Especially if everyone is doing it together. I think a lot of people are really put off by the thought of going to an STI clinic for a test specifically.

Hahaha true :wink: It was really good and was a great way of making sure that people did get tested, removing the fear of getting tested. I never did it as at the time, I wasn't sexually active, but I would say about 70% of the year did so!

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
...was this the underwear they were handing out?

Funny, but no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending