The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Fantasy Football League 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ziggy Sawdust
Congrats. Not that I'm questioning your wisdom btw, but what made you put Welbeck in your team? :holmes: He hasn't exactly been prolific throughout his career so far.

cant answer for the other poster, but for me: value.

Out of the top5 teams, no other team has a striker for 6.9m (well, that was when I brought him 2 weeks ago) that is guarenteed to start every week between now and january.

Added that he will get an extended run in his favoured position, with a midfield that is pretty good at creating chances.. and even a bad striker will get goals.

Honestly, think welbeck will be a great return for his price, and frees up an extra million or more, compared to balotelli/8.5 tier strikers
Original post by fallen_acorns

Out of the top5 teams, no other team has a striker for 6.9m (well, that was when I brought him 2 weeks ago) that is guarenteed to start every week between now and january.

Added that he will get an extended run in his favoured position, with a midfield that is pretty good at creating chances.. and even a bad striker will get goals.

Honestly, think welbeck will be a great return for his price, and frees up an extra million or more, compared to balotelli/8.5 tier strikers

I second this.

Really the amount of chances Arsenal will create with the midfield they have makes Welbeck an instant option, but at the price I would say he's a must have.
Original post by fallen_acorns

That sounds like pretty decent reasoning. Personally though, I prefer options available in that price bracket from other teams (Ulloa & Pelle for example). Plus, I didn't have Giroud (who I consider to be a better striker than welbeck) in my team before he got injured, despite him benefitting from the same high level of service Welbeck will have, so I'd find it difficult to justify putting Welbeck in my team now.
That sounds like pretty decent reasoning. Personally though, I prefer options available in that price bracket from other teams (Ulloa & Pelle for example). Plus, I didn't have Giroud (who I consider to be a better striker than welbeck) in my team before he got injured, despite him benefitting from the same high level of service Welbeck will have, so I'd find it difficult to justify putting Welbeck in my team now.

it helps that I am an arsenal fan :tongue: so am biased into wanting him to do well :redface:

my strikers are:

Welbeck - Costa - Pelle

And at the moment I am pretty happy with those..

I do feel like I will have to re-consider these three at one point, when the big boys start scoring.

I mean if aguaro gets going each week, then he could be a must-have, though currently he does not justify his huge price.. Falcao/Rvp/Rooney likewise, just are not bringing in enough ponts compared to their price.. Balotelli is to expensive, and sturridge may be an option when he is fit again..

Pelle is looking great though :smile: and Ulloa is an intersting one.. I wish i had him in from the start at his price, but right now i just dont know.. hes doing great, but Pelle just feels a bit more fixture proof for me, as southampton are a bit more tried and tested in the league now - if he keeps it up for another week or two though, will serriously consider swapping a player to Ulloa
my problem is that i'm playing 3-5-2 but all of my players are more or less first team definites

begovic
taylor-ivanovic-moreno
fabregas-siggy-sterling-di maria-ramsey
welbeck-costa

ulloa on bench - i feel like he'll do well so he really needs to be playing (10 points on the bench this week hurt me bad...)
i'm fine swapping out ramsey for cattermole and putting ulloa first team
but then i'll have 4-5m in spare

costa is obviously amazing and ulloa is good value for money but i also think welbeck will do really well at arsenal
the issue is whether to put sturridge back in when he returns from injury?
or should i use that extra money on my defence?
(edited 9 years ago)
Congrats. Not that I'm questioning your wisdom btw, but what made you put Welbeck in your team? :holmes: He hasn't exactly been prolific throughout his career so far.

His price, the team he plays for and the fact he'll start every game. He does need a few chances to score most of the time, but with Ozil, Sanchez, Ramsey et al behind him he'll have so many opportunities. He was in and out of the team at United and played a lot of his games on the wing, when Moyes gave him a consistent run up front last season his stats were impressive.

I really want Walcott when he's back, but it's impossible to fit him in.

Original post by RedDevil014
I think you've got Bertrand in your team aswell? Was wondering whether doubling up would be a good idea cause i've got Forster in my team and was thinking of getting a Southampton defender in for Chester.

They look solid at the back and have a fantastic run of fixtures. It's a gamble but worth a try imo. Easy enough to change if it doesn't work.
I think I'd prefer Pelle over Welbeck. Welbeck won't play against Villa's 5th choice CB and a very ill team every week. But they both seem decent as a cheap second or third striker (or perhaps get both if you're pairing them with a Costa or Aguero).
Original post by ArsenalWenger
Who's team is the Bluth Kompany? Me and you are only teams with 100% win ratio in Division A and collide in the upcoming game week lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's been fairly average from me so far, but i'm pretty pleased with my team generally. And i'm near the top of most leagues i'm in icnluding a work one which has a 70.00 pot. TSR is ridiculously high quality :lol:. But will be an interesting tie between ourselves for sure.

I've made a 4 point hit for it. My first of the season. Needed some money, looks like Naismith will drop, and Welbeck rise, and preferred the look of Welbeck scoring points to Naismith on the weekend. Gibbs to Chambers to free up the money. Welbeck will score around 15 this season probably, and assist a few, for the money he is, got to get him in tbh.

Will keep an eye on Pelle, considering going for him and Hazard, in for Aguero and Sigs in a few GWs if things keep going for Pelle.
Original post by Gob Bluth
It's been fairly average from me so far, but i'm pretty pleased with my team generally. And i'm near the top of most leagues i'm in icnluding a work one which has a 70.00 pot. TSR is ridiculously high quality :lol:. But will be an interesting tie between ourselves for sure.

My housemate showed me his team, top of all his mini leagues and he was chuffed with his points total. He'd be about 70th in the TSR league! The standard here is really high, but then is that really surprising given the kind of people who are attracted to a site like this?

I think discussing it with a lot of people helps, i've learnt quite a lot over the years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gob Bluth

I've made a 4 point hit for it. My first of the season. Needed some money, looks like Naismith will drop, and Welbeck rise, and preferred the look of Welbeck scoring points to Naismith on the weekend. Gibbs to Chambers to free up the money. Welbeck will score around 15 this season probably, and assist a few, for the money he is, got to get him in tbh.

Will keep an eye on Pelle, considering going for him and Hazard, in for Aguero and Sigs in a few GWs if things keep going for Pelle.

I really want to Get Welbeck in for Naismith too lol but I don't want to take a hit. I want Welbeck to do well obviously but it's annoying that I won't be benefitting from his goals so I might have to take that Hit in the end :ahee:. Yeah I might do Rooney to Pelle after this week. Don't like his points potential now he's dropped deeper. Currently just outside the top 7k so I'm chuffed with my start :biggrin:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
das it. got my team now. took a 4 point hit made some transfers but i think im good now. Welbeck/Aguero/Costa hnng.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Assassin
das it. got my team now. took a 4 point hit made some transfers but i think im good for a while. Welbeck/Aguero/Costa hnng. Who has it better?

Lol I have the exact same strikeforce.

Feeling to put in Lukaku though cos Aguero has been rotating a bit.
Original post by sr90
His price, the team he plays for and the fact he'll start every game. He does need a few chances to score most of the time, but with Ozil, Sanchez, Ramsey et al behind him he'll have so many opportunities. He was in and out of the team at United and played a lot of his games on the wing, when Moyes gave him a consistent run up front last season his stats were impressive.

That's some pretty detailed research and analysis you've done there, I guess that's why you're top. Where do you get your stats from, Opta?

I'm still tempted to stubbornly stick to my guns though. Having said that I'm interested to hear your opinion on who I should drop out of.. Ulloa - Costa - Pelle ..were I to transfer Welbeck in.

Original post by sr90
The standard here is really high, but then is that really surprising given the kind of people who are attracted to a site like this?

What do you mean by that?
That's some pretty detailed research and analysis you've done there, I guess that's why you're top. Where do you get your stats from, Opta?

I'm still tempted to stubbornly stick to my guns though. Having said that I'm interested to hear your opinion on who I should drop out of.. Ulloa - Costa - Pelle ..were I to transfer Welbeck in.

What do you mean by that?

Haha I wish that was mine! :tongue: It's from Transfermarkt.

I don't mean it in a bad way at all, a site like this is going to attract people who are quite intelligent & take things seriously. More so for academia than football, but the logic is the same. There are a lot of knowledgeable posters on here who know their stuff.

On current form, transferring any of those 3 out would be a sidegrade/knee jerk at best imo. First two are banging them in and the third has excellent fixtures. Maybe wait a bit and see how he gets on. It was easy for me to bring him in because I played my WC over the international break.
(edited 9 years ago)
So wise players...who do I bench this week out of Siggy and Shneiderlin?

Currently I am benching Siggy as QPR has been leakier at the back than Sunderland. But on the other hand everyone has Siggy so if he pulls something off I'll be hurt.
Original post by paddyman4
So wise players...who do I bench this week out of Siggy and Shneiderlin?

Currently I am benching Siggy as QPR has been leakier at the back than Sunderland. But on the other hand everyone has Siggy so if he pulls something off I'll be hurt.

If it were me, I would play sig, as I just have more faith in him bringing in points then Schniederlin..

Sunderland are not a great team either, so would expect both teams to score goals, and juts tihnk sig is more likely to be involved in the goals then schnied
Gonna go Moreno to Chambers in two weeks, which will create a million for me. Would leave Ivan, Chambers, Bertrand as my three defenders (Wisdom and 3.9 on the bench), which would be fine till end of November when I'd ditch Bertrand.

Siggy Fab Sterling ADM midfield just like everyone else. Balo differential up front, Welbz and Costa too.

Looking pretty sound for now, the only worry I've got is having to rejig things early and take hits to get Aguero in, but I can worry about that next week. Think it'll be Moreno -> Chambers, Balo -> Aguero and either Welbeck or Siggy will have to go ffs.

Anyway Wisdom is a 4/4.1, who do we think is a better option at that price range?

I think Welbeck is probably a better bet than Ulloa. I get the feeling with Ulloa you're chasing last weeks points.
Original post by New Slaves
Gonna go Moreno to Chambers in two weeks, which will create a million for me. Would leave Ivan, Chambers, Bertrand as my three defenders (Wisdom and 3.9 on the bench), which would be fine till end of November when I'd ditch Bertrand.

Siggy Fab Sterling ADM midfield just like everyone else. Balo differential up front, Welbz and Costa too.

Looking pretty sound for now, the only worry I've got is having to rejig things early and take hits to get Aguero in, but I can worry about that next week. Think it'll be Moreno -> Chambers, Balo -> Aguero and either Welbeck or Siggy will have to go ffs.

Anyway Wisdom is a 4/4.1, who do we think is a better option at that price range?

I think Welbeck is probably a better bet than Ulloa. I get the feeling with Ulloa you're chasing last weeks points.

Scoring in 4 out of 5 games so far, and with his fixtures in the next two months being: Palace (a), Burnley (h), Newcastle (a), Swansea (a), West Brom (h), Southampton (a), Sunderland (h), QPR (a); I think you've got to say he still looks like a good point scorer - Palace, Sunderland, West Brom and QPR look shoddy at the back, Newcastle are all over the place at the moment - the only ones I'd not feel confident of him getting at least a goal or assist in are Swansea and So'ton - while 4 goals conceded in the first 5 is impressive for Burnley, I can't see them being to keep holding out teams.
aguero has a knock. I really hope he plays. **** paying 12m for him to get injured almost straight away :lol:
Original post by The Assassin
aguero has a knock. I really hope he plays. **** paying 12m for him to get injured almost straight away :lol:

He was never going to play in the League Cup game anyway, looks like Pellegrini is covering his bases in case City get knocked out.

Original post by New Slaves

At that price range your only options are Hutton, Moore & Duff. I don't think any of them are a significant upgrade enough to justify using your 1 transfer. If you're determined to get one of them in then i'd probably go with Moore or Duff. Hutton would be the best if he had easier fixtures.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest