The Student Room Group

Suitable A-levels for studying law at Oxford/Cambridge in the future.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lollie1994
I'm doing my GCSEs this year, so I'm choosing A-levels now. I'm fairly certain that I'd like to persue a career in law, or at least study law at university, and I'd love to get a place at Oxford or Cambridge.
I've already taken my french and maths GCSE early, and recieved my grades back (French - A* Maths- A (8 UCAS points from A*)).
I was wondering is anyone could give me any advice on which A-levels would be appropriate to study?
I was thinking English Lit&Lang, History, Economics, French.
Any help would be very much appreciated :smile:

Those choices are fine, only change I might make would be Lit for Lit/Lang as others have suggested. Economics rather than Maths is fine, both are seen as academic subjects and to be honest economics is far more relevant. I got a C in my Maths A-level (albeit taken early) and still got in to Cambridge.

That said, if you want to take Law A-level and have only been put off it by rumours of it being disliked, I'd say take it - it's nowhere near as looked-down-upon as some people like to suggest, and I did it and got in with no questions asked. As far as I can tell, the only reason some unis are wary of it is because they have to start their degree courses from scratch anyway, and it can make people slack off thinking they know everything and don't have to do any work at the start.

Generally, Oxbridge aren't too fussy about what A-levels you do for law, as long as they're mostly strong academic ones and you have at least one that's essay-based. Beyond that, go nuts.
Original post by Theflyingbarney

Generally, Oxbridge aren't too fussy about what A-levels you do for law, as long as they're mostly strong academic ones and you have at least one that's essay-based. Beyond that, go nuts.

Neither Oxford nor Cambridge require law applicants to have an A-level in an essay-based subject.

http://www.law.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/admitfaqscourse1.php (See Q16)

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/law/index.php#Entry-Requirements
Original post by Estreth
Neither Oxford nor Cambridge require law applicants to have an A-level in an essay-based subject.

http://www.law.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/admitfaqscourse1.php (See Q16)

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/law/index.php#Entry-Requirements

Neither of them will explicitly require it, no, but it's certainly a big advantage and will stand you in good stead.
Neither of them will explicitly require it, no, but it's certainly a big advantage and will stand you in good stead.

It is no advantage at all in terms of admissions.

Whether it's an advantage when it comes to adapting to the work is another question, although it is interesting to note Cambridge's comment that:

"In our experience, applicants with backgrounds in Mathematics and science subjects perform as well as those whose background is in humanities subjects."
Original post by Estreth
It is no advantage at all in terms of admissions.

Whether it's an advantage when it comes to adapting to the work is another question, although it is interesting to note Cambridge's comment that:

"In our experience, applicants with backgrounds in Mathematics and science subjects perform as well as those whose background is in humanities subjects."

Don't know where you're getting that from. Everyone I've ever spoken to on the matter has said that not having taken any A-levels that involve essay-writing is detrimental to an application. Sure, plenty of people do well when they've taken mostly sciences, but it's easier for admissions tutors to be confident that you'll cope with the work if you've got at least some familiarity with writing serious essays.
Don't know where you're getting that from. Everyone I've ever spoken to on the matter has said that not having taken any A-levels that involve essay-writing is detrimental to an application. Sure, plenty of people do well when they've taken mostly sciences, but it's easier for admissions tutors to be confident that you'll cope with the work if you've got at least some familiarity with writing serious essays.

It's stated quite clearly in those links I posted. The Oxford one has an FAQ which asks 'Should I study any particular subjects before applying?' The response is that you need to have studied the appropriate language to do Law Studies in Europe but:

"Otherwise your choice of subjects is your own, though please note that General Studies is not accepted. Strictly academic subjects matter most. Both arts and sciences are helpful."

In other words, the admissions pages specifically address this question, and nowhere does it advise prospective applicants that they should take an essay-based subject.

The Cambridge advice reads:

"Good applicants tend to have taken subjects at A Level (or equivalent) that develop a careful, analytical approach to reading and which require them to present information in a way which is well structured and thoughtfully argued. In our experience, applicants with backgrounds in Mathematics and science subjects perform as well as those whose background is in humanities subjects. Many Colleges are pleased to see applicants with a mixed background in these subjects."

So they are keen to point out that they don't think that studying humanities subjects is an advantage, although the last sentence might be interpreted as suggesting that some individual tutors prefer a combination of sciences and humanities rather than one or the other. But again, they address the question specifically addressed but do not state that not having an essay-based subject is detrimental to an application.
(edited 9 years ago)
It will be fine.English literature is better than english language.Literature also develops the same analytical skills as history.In addition,your A level subject choices show diversity which is a good thing that top universities like.And with predicted grades like those you're bound to get into a top university like oxford or cambridge or LSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending