The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Gcse- 5a's and 6a*'s
AS- A in maths bio german and turkish and B in chem which i have dropped

Predictions are all probably going to be A

Would it be worth considering oxbridge and lse?
Yo!
I'm applying for econ at Cambridge, lse, ucl, warwick and Exeter and was wondering what everyone else is thinking about the importance of the personal statement in my application. plus wanted to double check that TSA isn't compulsory for Cambridge econ?
cheers:smile::smile:
GCSEs:9A*,2A
AS LEVELS: AAAA
UMS: MATHS (300/300) c1=100,c2=100, m1=100, F MATHS (277/300)d1=98, fp1=91, s1=88, ECON (192/200) micro=100, macro=92, HISTORY (188/200) Russia paper=92, Britain paper=96
Original post by RAV 123
For E&M at Oxford:

GCSE: 5A* 2A 3B (B's in German+DT+Lit)
AS: AAAB
A2 predictions (taking on all 4): A*A*AA

100% in Maths, 95% in Economics.

If I do well in the TSA and my PS is liked, do I have a chance of an interview? Or no chance because of my GCSE's + the B at AS. Any feedback, positive or negative, is helpful, so feel free to reply. Thanks.

im pretty much in the same boat... 4A*s, 5A's and a B at GCSE with AAAB in maths (95%), econ (100%), fm and a B in biology. Want to study E&m aswell. Have no idea if i have a chance. my teacher says i have a small chance of interview at oxford. How were your UMS in the other 2? if so they cambridge might be better as they care about top 3 AS and less about GCSES.
Original post by Sb123456
I want to apply for economics with the following grades;
GCSEs: 10 A*s 2As
AS: AAAB (95% average for top 3)
Predictions: A*A*A*A

Do you think I can apply to Cambridge, Warwick, LSE, or UCL?

Original post by Sb123456
B was in Physics (1 ums off an A)
Yes I am doing FM, predicted an A at A2

Predicted an A* in Physics with a B at AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jchap9776
Yo!
I'm applying for econ at Cambridge, lse, ucl, warwick and Exeter and was wondering what everyone else is thinking about the importance of the personal statement in my application. plus wanted to double check that TSA isn't compulsory for Cambridge econ?
cheers:smile::smile:
GCSEs:9A*,2A
AS LEVELS: AAAA
UMS: MATHS (300/300) c1=100,c2=100, m1=100, F MATHS (277/300)d1=98, fp1=91, s1=88, ECON (192/200) micro=100, macro=92, HISTORY (188/200) Russia paper=92, Britain paper=96

It is not of much importance to Cambridge since they interview, but it's important for the rest, in particular LSE which are known to be quite stringent on the quality of the PS.

Only compulsory for some colleges not all, you'd have to double check with the college you're applying to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Predicted an A* in Physics with a B at AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

should have explained it better, I got the following at AS;
Maths-A
Physics-B
Economics-A
Geography -A

and am predicted at;
maths -A*
geography A*
economics-A*
FM-A
Reply 366
bristol econ or maths and econ?:frown:
Hey guys I'm Hannah. I've applied to study Economics at LSE, UCL, Queen Mary, Cambridge and Warwick (my school deadline was really early).
GCSEs: 9A*, 1A and an A in add maths
AS: 4As

Anyone else looking at the universities I've applied to?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by hannahtetteh
Hey guys I'm Hannah. I've applied to study Economics at LSE, UCL, Queen Mary, Cambridge and Warwick (my school deadline was really early).
GCSEs: 9A*, 1A and an A in add maths
AS: Maths (300/300) F Maths (292/300) Chemistry (294/300) and Economics (197/200)

Anyone else looking at the universities I've applied to?

Hi! I'm applying to warwick and cambridge too, hoping to have my application sent by next week

I did maths, further maths, economics, English lit and mandarin last year (dropped mandarin now) and I got exactly the same gcses as you did :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Hi! I'm applying to warwick and cambridge too, hoping to have my application sent by next week

I did maths, further maths, economics, English lit and mandarin last year (dropped mandarin now) and I got exactly the same gcses as you did :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!
Awesome, which university is your first choice?
I visited Warwick yesterday and I loved it - it's such a great campus.
Hey!
Awesome, which university is your first choice?
I visited Warwick yesterday and I loved it - it's such a great campus.

Same warwick came across so well on their open day :biggrin:

Probably cambridge then warwick then durham and nottingham joint and then leeds

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Same warwick came across so well on their open day :biggrin:

Probably cambridge then warwick then durham and nottingham joint and then leeds

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Economics talk yesterday was so good too!
Awesome choices - Durham is just way too far for me though
The Economics talk yesterday was so good too!
Awesome choices - Durham is just way too far for me though

Ah I see, yeah durham's pretty far for me too ngl but oh well :rolleyes:
Ok, so I have decent GCSE results;
Maths - A*
Statistics - A*
Triple Science - A*A*A*
French - A
Geography - A
R.E - A
ICT - Me
English Lang - B
English Lit - B
German - B

Considering the secondary school I went to these were very good

and for my AS levels I got (UMS marks):
Maths - A (283/300)
Biology - A (283/300)
Economics - A (161/200)
Chemistry - B (239/300) 1 mark away from an A, going to get it remarked with hopefully an A!
General Studies - A (166/200)

My A-level predictions are: A*A*AA or A*A*A*A in the same order as above.

Also I would be applying with a pretty strong Personal Statement:biggrin:

I primarily would want to do Economics at Cambridge... but have been told I would be better suited to Econ and Management at Oxford.

I need advice on what my chances are on getting into an Oxbridge uni to do Econ or LSE, Warwick, Bristol (would be likely to get contextual offer at Bristol of AAB), UCL or Durham.

Any advice or similar experience would be welcome!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by raymondrayz
Maths - A*
Statistics - A*
Triple Science - A*A*A*
French - A
Geography - A
R.E - A
ICT - Me
English Lang - B
English Lit - B
German - B

Maths - A (283/300)
Biology - A (283/300)
Economics - A (161/200)
Chemistry - B (239/300) 1 mark away from an A, going to get it remarked with hopefully an A!

I primarily would want to do Economics at Cambridge... but have been told I would be better suited to Econ and Management at Oxford.

I need advice on what my chances are on getting into an Oxbridge uni to do Econ or LSE, Warwick, Bristol (would be likely to get contextual offer at Bristol of AAB), UCL or Durham.

So your average is 89.7% in your best 3 subjects right? Which isn't bad by any means, although I think St. John's has said it won't interview anything below 90% if I remember correctly? You'll probably be at a disadvantage applying without at least further maths to AS for cambridge though so that might be something you could do to improve your odds :smile:
Your gcses are fine but I'm not sure if they're oxford good if that makes sense? I would say you'd be better suited to oxford without further maths

You might struggle with lse as they're keen on ums and gcses but warwick Bristol and durham I can't see why you wouldn't have a good chance

But you have to remember it's up to you if you really want to go to cambridge you can give it a shot :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by raymondrayz
Maths - A*
Statistics - A*
Triple Science - A*A*A*
French - A
Geography - A
R.E - A
ICT - Me
English Lang - B
English Lit - B
German - B

Maths - A (283/300)
Biology - A (283/300)
Economics - A (161/200)

Your grades are on par if not better than average on all courses bar Cambridge really (your average over your best 3 AS's is 91%ish so you're close to automatic interview I think?)

Only issue is that you haven't done Further Maths, so I'd suggest dropping the Chemistry and taking up AS Further Maths and getting an A prediction, which is what I did last year :smile:
Reply 376
i was wondering if i would be at a disadvantage applying to a mix of straight econ & econ and finance
Reply 377
Anyone know of people who've got into Oxford/Warwick/UCL/other top unis without straight As at AS Level?
I know the nature of university economics is very competitive and slightly random, but I have a question. I don't mean this in a cocky way, just trying to be honest and weigh up my options. When I say guaranteed I mean that the likelihood is high..

Am I basically guaranteed (:s-smilie:) an offer from at least one of these unis: Warwick, Bristol, UCL, Nottingham
with AAAA at AS level in maths, chem, econ and further maths - A*A*A* A2 predictions - 8A* 3A at GCSE and a good personal statement and reference.
Original post by groovyd97
I know the nature of university economics is very competitive and slightly random, but I have a question. I don't mean this in a cocky way, just trying to be honest and weigh up my options. When I say guaranteed I mean that the likelihood is high..

Am I basically guaranteed (:s-smilie:) an offer from at least one of these unis: Warwick, Bristol, UCL, Nottingham
with AAAA at AS level in maths, chem, econ and further maths - A*A*A* A2 predictions - 8A* 3A at GCSE and a good personal statement and reference.

Bristol & Notts basically, UCL & Warwick probably

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending